What with my muddy blood and all. There's an extent to where I kind of find certain types of people more interesting...like bigots and shit. I'd be more fascinated talking to one of those Westboro goofballs or a neo nazi than your average kid at, say, an Against Me show. I don't even argue with these people. I just listen.

do people like working for the company youre at? is that the reason why they dont wanna leave?

i know some people hate their jobs but cant leave their paycheck

No, I don't think anyone enjoys working here. There are a few reasons why no one leaves though. We never fire anyone, you have to fuck up for a decade straight before you get the can, so there is a high level of job security. No one is ever penalized for missing work: it you are late everyday oh well, if you have to have surgery take as much time as you need to come back, dentist appointment go ahead. No one even tracks time off. Health insurance, 401K, decent pay. A lot of people are related. After like 15 years you become a part owner. 

Those are the positives, but it makes everyone extremely complacent. It also causes everyone to be overworked when they are at work. The actual "work" (construction company) is utterly frustrating. They is also a lack of transferable skills because everything we do is company specific (inefficient). Hardly any teamwork, everyone is on their own and has no direction or synergy.

So yeah I hated working here and had to get out before I became stuck.

Glad to have the small talk thread to bring up stupid stuff.

No, I don't think anyone enjoys working here. There are a few reasons why no one leaves though. We never fire anyone, you have to fuck up for a decade straight before you get the can, so there is a high level of job security. No one is ever penalized for missing work: it you are late everyday oh well, if you have to have surgery take as much time as you need to come back, dentist appointment go ahead. No one even tracks time off. Health insurance, 401K, decent pay. A lot of people are related. After like 15 years you become a part owner. 

Those are the positives, but it makes everyone extremely complacent. It also causes everyone to be overworked when they are at work. The actual "work" (construction company) is utterly frustrating. They is also a lack of transferable skills because everything we do is company specific (inefficient). Hardly any teamwork, everyone is on their own and has no direction or synergy.

So yeah I hated working here and had to get out before I became stuck.

Glad to have the small talk thread to bring up stupid stuff.

totally get where you are coming from, we have that happening here too...but where i am, there's a lot of departments and the work ranges, which is nice. and everyone whos been here for at least 2+ years knows every position, which comes in handy. BUT we have people who hate their job and dont wanna leave their pay...so with that comes lack of communication and motivation. then it rains shit over everyone. its especially hard too when we have two offices and we cant even communicate through an email. i wish i could just walk up to their desk.

hell yeah for small talk thread. its the only place im capable of posting in

I saw Baroness tonight.

As most of you likely know, after they got in a horrific wreck in England last summer, two members quit. This is the first time they've been back. So I'm waiting for them to come out, and I don't recognize the person walking out in the dark at first. Then my next thought is, "the new guy in the band looks like Rob Trujillo..." it wasn't until I could see Kirk Hammett behind him and the place explodes that I figured it out. There's literally almost 1000 people behind me just going ape poopie as all four members took center stage.

It's easy to talk shit about Metallica, or say that if you were literally standing right in front of them that you'd call them out for something. But those dudes are genuine (and rightful) superstars, and their first four albums can forgive a lot of almost everything they've done since then. Unexpectedly seeing them messes with you, and being surrounded with that many people who are that excited about it is infectious.

Those guys deserve major props for doing what they did - they had no security, they just came out to show their support for a fellow band that went through a similarly horrific bus wreck (but with less tragic results). They just came out onstage, took mics, schmoozed the crowd, and spoke very genuinely and supportively of a younger band they don't really have to give a shit about at all.

Later I spoke to Pete Adams and he actually didn't know that whole thing was going to happen. It was pretty cool, and while its easy to be jaded (and I'm virtually never starstruck by ANYONE), seeing what amounts to the biggest gods in the heavy metal pantheon, not to mention one of the most culturally significant bands in the whole world, was pretty fucking cool.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic