The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

If any non-US fans (or anyone ) need the Spirited Away version I got you covered, PM me.

Maniac (both versions), The Beyond and Deadly Spawn are my favorites so far. Since Death Waltz pretty much has horror cornered so well, as well as Wax Works now and One Way Static, I'm fine with Mondo veering off into other soundtracks. I'd like more weird action films though.

I love Ghibli, the music and films are always great. When I visited Japan 2 years ago I got to go to the museum, so amazing and worth it. I also ordered a Spirited Away shirt.

I'm kinda surprised that everyone classifies these movies/scores as Studio Ghibli. I think of them as Miyazaki movies first and foremost (he wrote and directed all three, after all). I'm surprised even Mondo used that classification, honestly. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it interesting and somewhat surprising. 

I'm kinda surprised that everyone classifies these movies/scores as Studio Ghibli. I think of them as Miyazaki movies first and foremost (he wrote and directed all three, after all). I'm surprised even Mondo used that classification, honestly. Not that I'm complaining, I just find it interesting and somewhat surprising. 

Maybe they plan to do more, and he hasn't done ALL of the Ghibli films. Also, maybe on Ghibli's side, they want to focus on the group who were a part of creating this music/these films and so titled it that way. Most of their products are catigorized that way, as "Studio Ghibli"

didn't realize Howl's would be the one sold at SDCC. for some reason, I thought that version was going to be exclusive and what was offered today would be a variant. Good to know it's the Japanese SDCC version.

It seems like if they made a Japanese version a portion of those would probably be going to retailers in Japan or else why even bother.  Out of all of them I got my fav, Spirited Away.

Studio Ghibli is like saying Pixar though. It makes much more sense to release a comp soundtrack as studio ghibli. They might be releasing individual Ghibli soundtracks as well though. It would be nice.  

question: why would you order something if you knew that it would be cancelled eventually? it's not like they're going to be like "oh shit, i'm gonna make an exception for this guy here". it sucks that that's how it is, but why waste their time?

Well I for one didn't realize until after ordering and in all the press and run up to this they never once mentioned it. Also considering how fast these releases tend to sell out i'm guessing people were scrambling to complete the purchase rather than read a lot of text. I don't expect mondo to make an exception for me and I don't think I'm a special case but if they'd let everyone know this caveat from the start they wouldn't have wasted my time and theirs. Still, I guess it's easier to be smug and mocking when you know your copy is guaranteed.

cat returns is plastered on the back, and he only produced that one.

they could easily do that with castle in the sky, my neighbor totoro, ponyo, and kiki's delivery service

i would much rather have from up on poppy hill or whisper of the heart over ponyo. but poppy hill/whisper don't really have the fantastical qualities that most other ghibli films have so i would understand if they wouldn't include them.

Well I for one didn't realize until after ordering and in all the press and run up to this they never once mentioned it. Also considering how fast these releases tend to sell out i'm guessing people were scrambling to complete the purchase rather than read a lot of text. I don't expect mondo to make an exception for me and I don't think I'm a special case but if they'd let everyone know this caveat from the start they wouldn't have wasted my time and theirs. Still, I guess it's easier to be smug and mocking when you know your copy is guaranteed.

didn't mean to come across that way. that is weird they didn't mention it in their blog. since 2 of the 3 variants are still readily available i figured international folks would read the desciption before ordering since the same thing happened with maniac.

You have to act fast on these MONDO releases. Drive was sold out in like 7 minutes I think.

I didn't take time to read the info... just clicked: add to cart and checked out  :)

good point. i'm sure there are people on here who would be happy to secure one for you. i would offer, but i'm flat broke between the SA print yesterday and these records today.

It has music from 5 Ghibli films. He only directed 3 of them.

I gotta pipe in here.

I highly doubt he was being smug and mocking. His question was legit. It also crossed my mind after seeing so may international VCers say they ordered and now expect their orders to be cancelled.

I do understand the rush and agitation of snagging these due to prior sales and all and therefore no reading all of the text and "fine print". At the same time, Mondo was clear up front on their terms of no purchases from outside U.S. and Canada. The bitching after the fact is unnecessary. Chalk it up to "Oh well, maybe next time."

I gotta pipe in here.

I highly doubt he was being smug and mocking. His question was legit. It also crossed my mind after seeing so may international VCers say they ordered and now expect their orders to be cancelled.

I do understand the rush and agitation of snagging these due to prior sales and all and therefore no reading all of the text and "fine print". At the same time, Mondo was clear up front on their terms of no purchases from outside U.S. and Canada. The bitching after the fact is unnecessary. Chalk it up to "Oh well, maybe next time."

Not bitching. If anything I was standing up for myself and the other international VCers. At the end of the day if mondo had mentioned this info from the start, and if they'd actually put measures in place to disable the international shipping option then there wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Now everyone take a deep breath and relax :-)

Since it is apparent that there are going to be more Howl's Moving Castle released once the International orders are cancelled -- How does Mondo go about releasing these? Another random time announced through twitter or just toss them up there when they feel like it? Any thoughts?

Doubt they will go online.  They will probably just sell them instore.