Is keeping a record sealed worth it?

The only records I spent more than 30 for were Saves The Day - In Reverie and Counting Crows - August and Everything After. Both worth it and sound great. I think the guy has his answer about swrink wrap. He said he is new to collecting so probably does not have equipment yet. I know it is an unpopular opinion but I would rather get the records I love while available and get a TT when I can if I was in that situation. Record players will be around forever but some records end becoming unfindable or unaffordable. As long as he is not flipping than its all good.

I like the free market post way up there...

There will always be this discussion on every collectible forum.

Continuum (re: vinyl since this is a vinyl forum):  Pure investor (cares nothing about music/vinyl, just the $$, flippers, 'spoilers' because the collectors are deprived of buying opportunity at decent price)....................................... Pure collector (in it for the music/vinyl/maybe variants, and all have a budget of some sort-- budget envy can be a problem  ;) but whether or not the value goes up or down, the $$ is not an issue, except for the budget)

Sometimes investors eventually fall for the music, and start making giddy-headed purchases that are not good 'investments'.

And sometimes collectors find themselves in a niche they love musically, but also reaps financial rewards come sell time, or if they pick up  duplicate (but not 10, to sell. Maybe one to listen to and one to admire).  

Sometimes collectors get really good at the second aspect,  and can fund their hobby, but they're not professional dealers. Better consult you CPA if you're doing a lot of selling, and if it's still a hobby, but even then I think Uncle Sam wants his bite.

Sometimes collectors do become fulltime or vest pocket dealers, and keep the collecting as well (dangerous combo, imho)

Sometimes one finds themselves a pure collector in one genre; and in another a pure investor.  That's when personalities can start to clash if you recognize certain usernames on these sites and discogs and ebaY, trying to figure out the motives.

And when it all boils down to motives, who cares. Let the market decide.

I love King Crimson. When Flaming Lips et al did the "In the Court..." cover, I watched the first sale, the first flip, and then the second flip on ebay, and now a little lull... and we started at $20, went to $30, then to $70-80 range;  now seeing BINs for $125.00

no, I didn't buy or flip, just got an education. I'm more on the collector end of things, could never be a dealer.

Thanks for reading ;)

haha jesus that is pricey. My gf's roommate is an engineering student and lined their walls with high grade cardboard versions of those. Costs like a buck to make each of them and you can slide them in and out like those. But hey now is the time to capitalize on the vinyl community so more power to them if they sell!

Just do what you want to do.

Keeping the shrink on doesn't do dick if you're going to play the record.

This sentence only makes sense if you have collected records for couple of months. 

If the records is 20, 30 or 40 years old and even if the shrink has been opened only from one side, the difference can be huge.

I just bought a Killing Joke - Absolute Dissent first pressing couple of months ago which had been on a shelf for couple of years - the shrink looked like shit, but the sleeve was perfect.

I take all of my records out of the shrink.  I, then, insert them into brand new sleeves before I catalog them in my record cabinet. 

I have a gripe, here, though.  Excuse me for the redundancy, but why should it matter what anyone does with things they purchase with their hard (or not-so-hard) earned money?  I owned about 400 records before I even owned a turntable, and do you know why?  These records mean something to me.  When I got my copy of Jimmy Eat World's "Clarity" in the mail, I opened it and set it down next to me and felt relief.  Relief that a piece of art that meant so much to me (and still does) was now mine.  It was someone else's once, and I hope they found the same appreciation for it as I do.  I own a host of records that I feel a connection to, because I feel a deep connection to the music.  That's why I collect.  Forget the fact that it's higher fidelity, or that the album art is cool, and that sometimes there are vinyl-only tracks and special releases, and the litany of other reasons that vinyl is a great investment.  I invest because I love music.  If I choose not to play a record in my collection, why is that a problem?  It's really that difficult to wrap your head around the fact that people collect for different reasons? 

I don't understand why a majority of the users here feel the need to berate and belittle, as if it's a fucking birthright.  Fact is, at one point, you had just one post on this board, and either you did or didn't ask a question that was asked one too many times, but when it's met with so much animosity, it drives people away from this community.  This community thrives because of the people in it, and I'm sure there are some bad apples on here, but for the most part, why is a new user expected to comb through thousands of posts for an answer to a question when they can just post their inquiry in twenty god damn seconds?  It's sort of shitty.  I love this place, I love being a part of it, I've found tons of records from people here and I frequent this board every day.  It never gets easier to see people being assholes.  Again, I guess that's your prerogative, though.

P.S. I have a copy of "The Decline" on Clear.   

I take all of my records out of the shrink.  I, then, insert them into brand new sleeves before I catalog them in my record cabinet. 

I have a gripe, here, though.  Excuse me for the redundancy, but why should it matter what anyone does with things they purchase with their hard (or not-so-hard) earned money?  I owned about 400 records before I even owned a turntable, and do you know why?  These records mean something to me.  When I got my copy of Jimmy Eat World's "Clarity" in the mail, I opened it and set it down next to me and felt relief.  Relief that a piece of art that meant so much to me (and still does) was now mine.  It was someone else's once, and I hope they found the same appreciation for it as I do.  I own a host of records that I feel a connection to, because I feel a deep connection to the music.  That's why I collect.  Forget the fact that it's higher fidelity, or that the album art is cool, and that sometimes there are vinyl-only tracks and special releases, and the litany of other reasons that vinyl is a great investment.  I invest because I love music.  If I choose not to play a record in my collection, why is that a problem?  It's really that difficult to wrap your head around the fact that people collect for different reasons? 

I don't understand why a majority of the users here feel the need to berate and belittle, as if it's a fucking birthright.  Fact is, at one point, you had just one post on this board, and either you did or didn't ask a question that was asked one too many times, but when it's met with so much animosity, it drives people away from this community.  This community thrives because of the people in it, and I'm sure there are some bad apples on here, but for the most part, why is a new user expected to comb through thousands of posts for an answer to a question when they can just post their inquiry in twenty god damn seconds?  It's sort of shitty.  I love this place, I love being a part of it, I've found tons of records from people here and I frequent this board every day.  It never gets easier to see people being assholes.  Again, I guess that's your prerogative, though.

P.S. I have a copy of "The Decline" on Clear.   

Cool story bro.

I owned about 400 records before I even owned a turntable, and do you know why?  These records mean something to me . . . I own a host of records that I feel a connection to, because I feel a deep connection to the music.  That's why I collect.   

Not trying to give you a hard time but I really don't understand this. If it all boils down to your connection with the music, how are you getting that connection from an unplayed record? Are you holding the sealed records in your hands while you listen to your I-Pod? Honest question. Otherwise it sounds more like a fetish object ("my precious") than a musical medium.