PO: Fall Out Boy - Save Rock and Roll (5/7)

I think a lot of people are missing the deeper meanings of this single and the album and all this. The title of the album is "Fall Out Boy Saves Rock And Roll" Their first album was titled Fall Out Boy's Night Out With Your Girlfriend. I believe this is a reference to them going back to their older sounds and revisiting what made them big. The music video starts out with 2 Chainz  a pretty boy rapper and one of the large names in the music business today. He begins to burn Fall Out Boys music, symbolizing that bands like Fall Out Boy are forgotten by the public by artist like 2 Chainz . Chainz begins to become excited his music has taken the upper hand. Two women then step out of the van and begin to burn various instruments, symbolizing the lack of these instruments or poor utilization  on the music industry's part. Skip to a shot of Take This To Your Grave, It doesn't burn like they thought, symbolizing how they hope to keep these roots and cut the rest. Go to a shot of Fall Out Boy in a van masked, the new Fall Out Boy is hidden as they're sound has been kept captive from us for a while, due to generic music cliches.
   Now the Lyrics; "be careful making wishes in the dark can't be sure when they've hit their mark" This is saying be careful when you want an artist to come back you never know when they might actually do it and change their sound a lot. "in the mean time I'm just dreaming of tearing you apart" They've been gone they're back here's a quote from the band this; "isn't a reunion because we never broke up. we needed to plug back in and make some music that matters to us." They've been working on their sound to crush these artist that have held them captive and put them down, because Fall Out Boy is back it's time to save rock and roll.

I think a lot of people are missing the deeper meanings of this single and the album and all this. The title of the album is "Fall Out Boy Saves Rock And Roll" Their first album was titled Fall Out Boy's Night Out With Your Girlfriend. I believe this is a reference to them going back to their older sounds and revisiting what made them big. The music video starts out with 2 Chainz  a pretty boy rapper and one of the large names in the music business today. He begins to burn Fall Out Boys music, symbolizing that bands like Fall Out Boy are forgotten by the public by artist like 2 Chainz . Chainz begins to become excited his music has taken the upper hand. Two women then step out of the van and begin to burn various instruments, symbolizing the lack of these instruments or poor utilization  on the music industry's part. Skip to a shot of Take This To Your Grave, It doesn't burn like they thought, symbolizing how they hope to keep these roots and cut the rest. Go to a shot of Fall Out Boy in a van masked, the new Fall Out Boy is hidden as they're sound has been kept captive from us for a while, due to generic music cliches.

Now the Lyrics; "be careful making wishes in the dark can't be sure when they've hit their mark" This is saying be careful when you want an artist to come back you never know when they might actually do it and change their sound a lot. "in the mean time I'm just dreaming of tearing you apart" They've been gone they're back here's a quote from the band this; "isn't a reunion because we never broke up. we needed to plug back in and make some music that matters to us." They've been working on their sound to crush these artist that have held them captive and put them down, because Fall Out Boy is back it's time to save rock and roll.

24277258.jpg

This is a good perspective toward it.

As seemingly the only one who thinks they've gotten better with each album, I'm excited about today. People get pissed cause it doesn't sound like an album that was made 10 years ago, but that's a long time. I'm a completely different person than I was when TTTYG came out. So are the guys in the band. Why make the same record twice? If they tried to go back to a previous sound, it still wouldn't be recieved well cause it's not the same songs. I've enjoyed growing up with this band and I think this song deserves more than one listen

It's not that it's different that's the problem, it's that they've abandoned their roots in a way that sucks.  The new song reminds me of Maroon 5's more electronic material.  They've gone straight pop with seemingly no pop punk left.  Take a band like The Get Up Kids, who Pete Wentz has said that was instrumental in Fall Out Boy even existing, who were a huge pop punk that grew up and decided to take a different direction with their later albums.  TTTYG and FUTCT are basically FOB's Four Minute Mile and Something To Write Home About. After that Matt of TGUK didn't want to continue that direction so they made On A Wire that was more poppy and somewhat alt country influenced.  Then they made Guilt Show which was more alternative than pop punk and had songs about how their bass player got divorced.  After their hiatus they came back with There Are Rules which Matt challenged himself to not write any lyrics about girls/relationships and it had some more electronic influences and was different than anything they had put out.  All of their albums after they chose to evolve their sound are unique and different, but they all sound like TGUK albums and feel like the same band.  With Fall Out Boy it's hard to tell that this is still the same band that came out with those albums.  As has been said it sounds a lot like the solo projects and what not that they did after they broke up that failed.  So in my opinion they're trying to do that same stuff under the Fall Out Boy name since they couldn't do it on their own.  Didn't mean for the post to be so long, but oh well.

I'm not that familiar with the get up kids, but I def see where you're coming from. Hopefully the album will appeal to those who enjoy their previous works and those who enjoy the change. Each of the previous two albums have been eclectic between songs. I appreciate the change because I thinks it's sad when a band tries to capture previous magic and it just doesn't measure up. (Yellowcard would be the best example of this that I can think of currently)

Basically Folie A Deux was a direction no one cared about. 

They seem to have taken a break after that album sucked hard. 

They are back and seem to have learned nothing. 

You wanna be a shitty pop band? Fine. Rename yourselves. 

The band I had fun with is dead. 

if you didn't like Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes off Folie then I don't know what to say about "the band you had fun with"

As I continue to read this thread (why am I subjecting myself to all of this?!) I was at first shocked that so many people dislike this song so heavily!

Then it hit me:

Almost everyone here is completely obsessed with POP PUNK and only POP PUNK. I am no longer surprised that people aren't 100% jazzed that a band evolved past their benchmark generic pop punk roots.

It's okay to like other genres of music, everyone. It shows that you don't branch out much when you can hear this song and somehow hear "hip hop."