eBay Snipers

homework

I agree with ptrsev. The point of the max bid is to enter the maximum amount you are willing to pay. Most things on eBay I am not DYING to have, so I'll put it a max price and wait till the end to see if I win. A lot of times it doesn't work out but sometimes it does. No surprises when someone bids up twice as much as my max, I don't really care. Clearly there are always going to be other people who want the same thing and are willing to pay more than I am. 

I don't snipe, but I did recently bid one penny under the buy it now price.  Got the record for the least amount possible, removed buy it now, and ruined any competition for the record.

I also employ the 8 second rule, bid at 8 seconds to go, the most you're willing to spend... works great.

That said, I've yet to snipe.  When I care about getting records on eBay again, I'll do it.

I don't snipe, but I did recently bid one penny under the buy it now price. Got the record for the least amount possible, removed buy it now, and ruined any competition for the record.

I also employ the 8 second rule, bid at 8 seconds to go, the most you're willing to spend... works great.

That said, I've yet to snipe. When I care about getting records on eBay again, I'll do it.

Bidding at 8 seconds to go IS sniping.

I usually put in a bid at like 12 seconds so that if it's not the max bid I still have time to try one more time.

that also gives anyone else "one more time" to counterbid and kind of defeats the purpose.

to do this effectively, you gotta go "absolute highest bid" at the last possible second.