eBay Snipers

homework

What is your outlook on eBay snipers? 

- Are you for it?

- Are you against it?

- Are you a victim of eBay snipers?

- Do you snipe yourself? / Do you use robots? 

This question was brought upon myself when I was bidding on an item I've been waiting for to be listed on eBay. Towards the end of the auction, I was defeated due to eBay wanted to refresh and not enter my bid, and SoftBank lack thereof. I was snipped with an offer I could have easily beat.

I personally snipe myself, but the fact that my internet did not want to refresh before defeat resulted in the breaking of my phone.  If you're from Japan and you have SoftBank, you may feel the pain.

mkMeWsr.jpg

I always snipe. From a buyers perspective, it's the only sensible thing to do.

If sniping pisses you off, chances are you're going about your ebaying wrong. Let's say an auction has two bids and you're the top bidder. The price has stayed at $16 for several days and your max bid is $20. You're pretty sure the record is yours. Unfortunately for you, someone snipes the record for $21 in the last second. This upsets you, because you would definitely have paid more than that, at least $22. Maybe even $25. See, that's why sniping pays off, because some people can't let someone else win an auction by "just a measly dollar". They don't understand the concept of max bidding. Your max bid should be the absolute max you're willing to pay. Someone gets the item for a dollar more, well so be it, that's more than you were willing to pay. And it's not like they bid only that measly dollar more than you. The dude that got the record for $21 in the made-up example may have put in a max bid of $50 or even $100. There's no way for you to know, except by going in and constantly bidding up the price. Which, as said, is exactly what a sniper wants to avoid.

Everyone always snipes! I always do it too! And everytime I sell something ...there are very few bids in the auction untill the last few minutes. That's why I do 3 day auctions now. And I hate when people do those 10 day auctions..It just wastes the potential buyers time!

10 day auction is dumb. But I do see the point of a 7 day auction. Not everyone has the chance to check eBay every day or even every other day. So having it up for a week will hopefully give everyone a chance to see it and start watching it.

Agreed. I hardly buy stuff off of eBay anymore, but I always waited until the last ten seconds, if not five. There's nothing wrong with that. For buyers, it's the best way to get something for a good price. I don't see why people bid before the last hour. It just makes you have to pay more if you really wanna win it. I don't the using those sniping programs is good. That's cheating. But doing it yourself if just common sense.