THE OFFICIAL EBAY CRAZINESS THREAD

I don't have a specific link, but what the hell is going on with bloated shipping rates these days?  Not only on eBay, but Discogs as well.  Speaking domestically: people want $5 to ship a single LP - a little high, but reasonable - and then $2 or $3 for each additional LP.  I'm sorry, but it doesn't cost 7 fucking dollars to mail a double LP.  I'm also seeing a lot of people in the U.S. asking $11.25 to ship.  (Presumably Media Mail, or some other service that costs far less.)

Does anyone else stumble across this regularly?  Am I just super lucky with my shipping costs?  It costs me $4.22 to ship a single LP or a double LP, sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard, inside of a sturdy mailer.  Did I find a loophole?  Why do people insist it costs $7-8?  If it's a super thick jacket, or a triple LP, or a light boxset, I've seen it hit $4.98... but I honestly can't say I've spent more than 5.00 to ship anything inside the US, ever.

Youre not the only one. Ive seen the $11 deal more than normal lately. Im pretty sure they just do that to make extra money and so that the BIN price looks lower than normal; draws in more viewers and/or potential buyers. 

I messaged one guy though who had a high price and he said part of it was fees for ups to package it, and that he didnt do it. What an idiot.

Youre not the only one. Ive seen the $11 deal more than normal lately. Im pretty sure they just do that to make extra money and so that the BIN price looks lower than normal; draws in more viewers and/or potential buyers. 

I messaged one guy though who had a high price and he said part of it was fees for ups to package it, and that he didnt do it. What an idiot.

I messaged a guy the other day selling and Electric Wizard record and he dropped the shipping from $8 or something to media mail $3 whatever.

I had, what I presume to be, a new postal worker the other day try to me that records don't count for Media Mail. I said something really dick-y like, "Mam, I've been shipping records longer than you've worked here." I didn't want it to come out that way, just did. Then I tried to cover it up slightly and say, "If you're not comfortable shipping MM, please go ask your manager." 

She came back, "Sorry, I had to check."

I remember the good old days when music wasn't media.

I've sent a few LPs via media mail recently, using recycled mailers, and it usually comes out to just over $5 after you add in insurance.  Usually, $3.50 + $2.

Yeah, the insurance is typically an extra buck.  Most of the cheaper LPs I sell I don't bother to insure, and those are the ones that are $4.22 with delivery confirmation.  The kicker is that a lot of these sellers asking for $6, $8, or $11 on Discogs don't even provide a shipping number.  They just pocket the inflated shipping costs and move on.  Frustrating.

Yeah, I mean...as long as it isn't opened it could contain that one really valuable card from that year/set.  It's kind of a Schrodinger's cat situation. I've seen it with M:tG card packs a lot, the whole "Hey, this is a package of the "unlimited" set of magic cards, it could possibly contain a $1000 card, let's sell the pack for a bunch of money!" But, oh wait, it probably has a bunch of cards worth like...$10 tops.

The theory certainly makes sense as I used to collect basketball and football cards.  I'd see things like this all the time of "hey there was a really valuable card in this set somewhere, so let's sell the pack for $$$."  I just didn't know they graded unopened packs.  I have a few graded cards that are really rare and very valuable.  It just seems like it would be tough to grade all the cards in an unopened pack and also somewhat pointless.

If you have any interest in soul/funk 45's, this seller just listed 400 records with a solid 30 being some of the rarest in the world. 4 days left and one is up to $600 already. Fucking nuts:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=mka_esq&_sop=16

The theory certainly makes sense as I used to collect basketball and football cards.  I'd see things like this all the time of "hey there was a really valuable card in this set somewhere, so let's sell the pack for $$$."  I just didn't know they graded unopened packs.  I have a few graded cards that are really rare and very valuable.  It just seems like it would be tough to grade all the cards in an unopened pack and also somewhat pointless.

I agree. I don't think they're saying that all the cards in the pack are graded at that though, just that the packaging itself is in whatever level of shape they're grading it at.

If you have any interest in soul/funk 45's, this seller just listed 400 records with a solid 30 being some of the rarest in the world. 4 days left and one is up to $600 already. Fucking nuts:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=mka_esq&_sop=16

That is crazy... I would love to hear the back story on how this individual got their hands on all of those.

That is crazy... I would love to hear the back story on how this individual got their hands on all of those.

Probably got lucky at an estate sale/auction/barn sale!  I always dream of stuff like that happening to me, and I've gotten some pretty good deals before. Nothing like that though.

About me: This account has been created solely for the purpose of selling records from the collection of long-time Bay Area DJ Matthew Africa. All proceeds from sales will go directly to his family. For more information about my sales history, please refer to my main ebay seller account, boola_boola. There you will find over a decade of exemplary feedback and service ratings. 

At least it was their good album.

True. Although I have lost a good black metal band, I have gained some good electronic ambient soundscape band...?

Especially since there appears to be one for 3/4 of that price on Discogs.

Yea, but the one on discogs had been played and there were some corner bends. I felt the extra $20 for a nice copy was reasonable.

True. Although I have lost a good black metal band, I have gained some good electronic ambient soundscape band...?

Yea, but the one on discogs had been played and there were some corner bends. I felt the extra $20 for a nice copy was reasonable.

Did you confirm with the seller on eBay that it was mint / sealed / whatever? Because I specifically looked for that before I made my post, and saw nothing. The one on Discogs appears to have one insignificant corner bend - or so the description reads - and was played once. I myself strive for the best condition of secondhand records, but when you can't even notice the differences with a microscope, I'm cool with saving $30. Just me.

And as far as I know, WITTR's next album won't incorporate any drone / electronic / ambient tracks or tones. They've confirmed that this latest release was just something they wanted to do, and that it has zero indication of a new sound or direction. Just a totally separate body of work.

I saw that. It looks like a couple of guys had the idea to put down an insane number on it (one of them putting $200 down), so they would always have the highest bid.

Beautiful.

Pretty sure it was a troll, dude has 0 feedback, pretty sure I've seen that same username before too.