Is this Virgil at an Avs game?

rfoster8

I did the co-op and I only remember ever getting two releases, both of which I never cared for and are still sealed. sitting in a box in my parents basement. Can someone tell me what the four releases were? Maybe I did get them all but just forgot. I'm glad to see that some of them hold at least a little value. I think I'll probably put them up on the 'bay and try to get a bit if scrilla for those.

I did the co-op and I only remember ever getting two releases, both of which I never cared for and are still sealed. sitting in a box in my parents basement. Can someone tell me what the four releases were? Maybe I did get them all but just forgot. I'm glad to see that some of them hold at least a little value. I think I'll probably put them up on the 'bay and try to get a bit if scrilla for those.

The Falcon - God Don't Make No Trash

The Jealous Sound - Kill Them With Kindness

A Wilhelm Scream - Mute Print

This Charming Man - Demos (Or something, I don't quite remember. I traded mine for a copy of Beelzebubba by The Dead Milkmen)

This Charming Man - Demos (Or something, I don't quite remember. I traded mine for a copy of Beelzebubba by The Dead Milkmen)

It was an actual cd release called "every little secret". This was the band that eventually grew into the Gaslight Anthem. Decent material but not as good as what was to come.

Also, the Falcon is a band that contains members of the Lawrence Arms, Alkaline Trio and Rise Against. Solid record.

Just in case anyone isn't into this kinda music and was wondering.

Jealous Sound and Wilhelm Scream never touched my record player.

Rad - that is a great trade on the TCM. Well done. 

I'm too new to the boards to know what happened here.  Was it basically another RJ type story?

The short of it:

Virgil started Suburban Home records first. When vinyl began becoming popular again, he started vinyl collective. It was a message board and distro. He had a ton of success at first -- I think he said he did a million dollars in revenue around '07 or '08. He had a few people working for him and a warehouse of records. Pretty well liked guy and the head honcho around here.

The VC coop was a label that was supposed to work this way -- 200 people pay $60. The label uses the money to fund vinyl projects. The pressings would be something like /1000. Everyone in the coop gets a free copy, 100 goes to the band / label, the other 700 get sold. The process repeats indefinitely with the bank account staying around level.

When the economy crashed, people stopped buying so many records. He started losing a ton of money. Kept a lid on everything and racked up debt. He came up with weird schemes like "pay us $1000 and get a copy of every record suburban home / VC releases for life", but he didn't lead on that he was in a nasty financial situation and suckered a few people in. A lot more people bought things like "$25 for a card that gets you 20% off everything at VC".

Then the wheels started coming off. Labels posted on here messages that were along the lines of "Virgil -- please send us our money". Virgil closed the VC distro, sold the message board to SRC, and began ebaying whatever stock he had left. I believe he got divorced at this time too. No one really knows how much money he owed and what he has paid back. The VC Coop members are due their $60 back but until this thread, I don't think anyone had much hope of getting it. He went underground. However, he did start a new label and called it "Greater Than Collective", which was really a poor decision in almost everyone's mind.

And oh yeah, there was this big fiasco where Virgil rented a bus to travel around Denver and visit craft beer breweries when he owed a ton of people money. People took a very big offense to this, sending him a lot of facebook messages and emails and stuff like "Hey how about you pay people back their money rather than tour beer breweries".

My opinion on the guy -- Stupid decision maker, but not malicious. I think that is different from RJ, who knowingly stole a bunch of money (I'm not as familiar with RJ). Virgil is just a fuck up who should be kicked out of the scene but he seems to have found a new group of artists to latch on to.

The short of it:

Virgil started Suburban Home records first. When vinyl began becoming popular again, he started vinyl collective. It was a message board and distro. He had a ton of success at first -- I think he said he did a million dollars in revenue around '07 or '08. He had a few people working for him and a warehouse of records. Pretty well liked guy and the head honcho around here.

The VC coop was a label that was supposed to work this way -- 200 people pay $60. The label uses the money to fund vinyl projects. The pressings would be something like /1000. Everyone in the coop gets a free copy, 100 goes to the band / label, the other 700 get sold. The process repeats indefinitely with the bank account staying around level.

When the economy crashed, people stopped buying so many records. He started losing a ton of money. Kept a lid on everything and racked up debt. He came up with weird schemes like "pay us $1000 and get a copy of every record suburban home / VC releases for life", but he didn't lead on that he was in a nasty financial situation and suckered a few people in. A lot more people bought things like "$25 for a card that gets you 20% off everything at VC".

Then the wheels started coming off. Labels posted on here messages that were along the lines of "Virgil -- please send us our money". Virgil closed the VC distro, sold the message board to SRC, and began ebaying whatever stock he had left. I believe he got divorced at this time too. No one really knows how much money he owed and what he has paid back. The VC Coop members are due their $60 back but until this thread, I don't think anyone had much hope of getting it. He went underground. However, he did start a new label and called it "Greater Than Collective", which was really a poor decision in almost everyone's mind.

And oh yeah, there was this big fiasco where Virgil rented a bus to travel around Denver and visit craft beer breweries when he owed a ton of people money. People took a very big offense to this, sending him a lot of facebook messages and emails and stuff like "Hey how about you pay people back their money rather than tour beer breweries".

My opinion on the guy -- Stupid decision maker, but not malicious. I think that is different from RJ, who knowingly stole a bunch of money (I'm not as familiar with RJ). Virgil is just a fuck up who should be kicked out of the scene but he seems to have found a new group of artists to latch on to.

Wasn't a part of this, but it doesn't sound that much different than RJ, at least as far as their demises go. Only difference is the bus tour = tattoos. At one point, RJ actually thought he was going to release TOYPAJ. 

Wasn't a part of this, but it doesn't sound that much different than RJ, at least as far as their demises go. Only difference is the bus tour = tattoos. At one point, RJ actually thought he was going to release TOYPAJ. 

I haven't read the TOYPAJ thread cause it got to the point where I just said "eff this, I'm not spending an entire day reading message board posts". Should have just bit the bullet and jumped in when it was 30 pages or so.

Virgil seems to be trying to return money to the people he owes but it's not like he can just print it up. Good to see that he is still righting his wrongs 2 or 3 years later. RJ just took the money and ran, right? That's why I take the opinion that Virgil is a stupid but decent-hearted guy while RJ is a crook.

I haven't read the TOYPAJ thread cause it got to the point where I just said "eff this, I'm not spending an entire day reading message board posts". Should have just bit the bullet and jumped in when it was 30 pages or so.

Virgil seems to be trying to return money to the people he owes but it's not like he can just print it up. Good to see that he is still righting his wrongs 2 or 3 years later. RJ just took the money and ran, right? That's why I take the opinion that Virgil is a stupid but decent-hearted guy while RJ is a crook.

I'm not defending RJ (though I was a lucky one who got a refund early) but I guess it's yet to be seen. He went underground, just as you're saying Virgil did. Maybe he'll start shelling out refunds one by one over the next few years too. IF of course, someone catching him sitting behind the benches.

there were two options at the end of the Co-op

1. Take the final 2 VC COOP Records and get a refund of $30 (in SH Trade or cash)
2. Take no more records and get a refund of $60 (in SH Trade or cash)

needless to say, its nice to know that almost 2 years later, I got my money and neither This Charming Man or Bigwig. 

VIRGIL, PAY MY GAS BILL

there were two options at the end of the Co-op

1. Take the final 2 VC COOP Records and get a refund of $30 (in SH Trade or cash)

2. Take no more records and get a refund of $60 (in SH Trade or cash)

needless to say, its nice to know that almost 2 years later, I got my money and neither This Charming Man or Bigwig. 

VIRGIL, PAY MY GAS BILL

Was This Charming Man one of those 2 final records? I didn't think that was one of them.