Tooth & Nail Sell Catalog To Capitol Christian Music Group

Really surprised at the backlash in here over this documentary.  You guys are all over old vinyl releases/bands from this label but the prospect of a behind-the-scenes (albeit, likely biased) documentary about the early days of the label (read: the years when they released records you like/love), and y'all get your panties in a bunch.  Goofy.  Just goofy.  

Agreed, but see below.

I said it once before and everybody started to hate me.One life, god free. This label and everything that they have released is garbage.

You have a point with the label, but so write off their entire catalogue is ludicrous, especially if you include Solid State.  I'd venture to say that expect for a very rare gem here and there that they haven't put out anything of note in the last decade at least, and that their peek was 15-20 years ago.  But there are a lot of bands that, if nothing else, were influential to their scene regardless of religious affiliation (or lack there of).

jhook, I would put money down that if you went through the 'thank you's' of your top albums that you'd find referenced bands that were on the T&N or SS labels.

When it comes down to it, T&N was influential, but to many of the most influential bands they carried they left with very bad taste in their mouth regarding labels in general, Christianity, and the "Christian music scene".  I'm curious to see if they address this at all, and what their perspective is on it.

Agreed, but see below.

You have a point with the label, but so write off their entire catalogue is ludicrous, especially if you include Solid State.  I'd venture to say that expect for a very rare gem here and there that they haven't put out anything of note in the last decade at least, and that their peek was 15-20 years ago.  But there are a lot of bands that, if nothing else, were influential to their scene regardless of religious affiliation (or lack there of).

jhook, I would put money down that if you went through the 'thank you's' of your top albums that you'd find referenced bands that were on the T&N or SS labels.

When it comes down to it, T&N was influential, but to many of the most influential bands they carried they left with very bad taste in their mouth regarding labels in general, Christianity, and the "Christian music scene".  I'm curious to see if they address this at all, and what their perspective is on it.

Oh geez. Jhook, please do this.

Considering his avatar is an album by SSD, a straightedge band from the early 80s, I'm thinking the likelihood of this is zero.

I will watch whatever documentary about Tooth & Nail, glossed over or not. They were instrumental in creating an important subculture for Christians who were uninterested in Petra, Amy Grant and mainline Christian culture in general.

Really surprised at the backlash in here over this documentary.  You guys are all over old vinyl releases/bands from this label but the prospect of a behind-the-scenes (albeit, likely biased) documentary about the early days of the label (read: the years when they released records you like/love), and y'all get your panties in a bunch.  Goofy.  Just goofy.  

Well, like Kriss said, the viewpoint of this doc will be completely skewed. It's like Tony Brummel making a movie about Victory Records. I'm still going to watch this, but I'd prefer a flick produced by somebody outside of King Brandon's sphere of influence. Somebody that can objectively show all sides of the label's history.

Meanwhile, I'm excited. I agree, I don't think this will be all that honest because if Ebel or T$N are behind it, of course he's not going to paint himself in a bad light.

There was a point in the video where Mike Herrera says something about things being rough between the label and the band, so I think there might be some stuff thats not showing them in the best light, but overall it probably will.

Yeah, re-iterating my point about the skewing. Mid 90's T+N had some amazing stuff (Morella's Forest, Joe Christmas, on and on) - but this isn't a proper documentary so much as a 90 minute puff piece for Ebel. It's totally unbalanced which is my main qualm.

are you sure?

i heard it was the "REAL TOOTH & NAIL STORY".

Well, like Kriss said, the viewpoint of this doc will be completely skewed. It's like Tony Brummel making a movie about Victory Records. I'm still going to watch this, but I'd prefer a flick produced by somebody outside of King Brandon's sphere of influence. Somebody that can objectively show all sides of the label's history.

holy shit i'd totally watch that victory documentary for the comedic value

At Riot Fest, Taking Back Sunday gave Victory a shoutout since it was Chicago. I booed when they mentioned Victory,

I was floored when they thanked Victory, and booed, as well.

i hardly think victory and tooth & nail fit in the same category.

Same category, no. I just made the comparison that they're two labels with well-known figureheads, both of whom have been dicks to bands on their labels.

• 1 year later...

This documentary is up for preorder at Tooth & Nail, along with a big ol' picture book.

http://toothandnail.merchline.com

Here's Brandon Ebel walking around like an asshole and talking about both projects:

Kind of want that book, too bad it's only available as a bundle.

Didn't know what you were talking about until the very last thing Ebel said/did in that video. lol.

Regardless, I got in on one of the Blu-Ray book bundles.