PO: The National "trouble will find me"

Go backwards. High Violet, Boxer, Alligator.

Agreed. High Violet is what sold me and then I went back. Something about this band initially turned me off and then "Bloodbuzz Ohio" came along and piqued my interest. Too bad because I could have caught these guys in tiny venues around Alligator and Boxer. Now they are playing arenas---at least in Brooklyn.

Alligator... Then boxer...

Most will say boxer, but alligator is where a lot of people fell in love... Those that typically that didnt know them until boxer will say boxer!

My 2 cents...

Sad songs for dirty lovers was the second vinyl I ever bought back I'm college in 2003... So national holds a special place in my musical history!

High violet is way too over rated... May be one of there worst albums

Their self titled is clearly their worst. While Alligator is my personal favorite, I think every album that's not s/t is pretty damn great.

I guess you could call High Violet their worst of the rest, but the highs on that album are so high (Bloodbuzz, Convo 16, Lemonworld), that it makes you forget the lows (Anyone's Ghost, little faith). And even the lows aren't Val Jester.

I'm always skeptical to make bold statements while in the honeymoon phase of new albums... but after three listens, I'm leaning towards saying that this may be their most consistent album.  From someone who's gay for Dirty Songs and everything after it, that's quite the claim.  I can't be sure until more time and plays pass, but it's such a solid and well paced record, from start to finish.  Really impressed... and considering how high my expectations were, that makes me very happy.

I'm always skeptical to make bold statements while in the honeymoon phase of new albums... but after three listens, I'm leaning towards saying that this may be their most consistent album.  From someone who's gay for Dirty Songs and everything after it, that's quite the claim.  I can't be sure until more time and plays pass, but it's such a solid and well paced record, from start to finish.  Really impressed... and considering how high my expectations were, that makes me very happy.

Pretty much this.  While it took a while for HV and Boxer to grow on me, this record hit me almost right away.  After 10 or so listens, I'm in love.