[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

That article is essentially downplaying anyone who thinks Sunbather is revolutionary, or anything new for that matter.  Like it's not worth praising outside of "yeah, the album is good".  That argument is one I've encountered before.  But here's the thing; it's 2014.  You're going to be hard pressed to come up with a completely original sound.  I don't care if Alcest or An Autumn For Crippled Children have channeled this sound well before Deafheaven.  And I don't care if "blackgaze" isn't an entirely new concept.  The fact is that it's the first commercial success for the sound.  And if the author is insisting that Deafheaven can't claim the brag rights of coining the genre... I say they're at least in a position to gloat about making it as popular and successful as it's become.  And to me, that's worth recognizing and celebrating.  Regardless of whether or not it's "been done before".

While your point is entirely valid, Derek, having not read the article in depth, I think it's fair to say that Sunbather was over hyped to have invented "blackgaze", creators of the genre, completely original sound, etc, etc... It's poor journalism (at best) to make those claims.

Is this the first blackgaze? No.

Did they create the genre? No.

Is the sound original? No.

Are they the first to bring the sound to pop culture? Yes, which is a huge achievement given the genre.

(Most importantly) Is it a good album? Yes, it's fucking awesome.

Yeah, I certainly don't think that they created a new genre.  And any publication who believes otherwise is simply misinformed.  But I think the fact that an album like Sunbather did become overhyped in 2013 is quite the feat.  It's not exactly radio-friendly, but the [nearly] unanimous praise, exposure from Pitchfork, and cameo in Apple ads... I consider that impressive, definitely.  It's a bit of a Catch-22, I suppose -- as much as I love the album, I would agree that - for a while there, at least - it felt like the album was inescapable in discussion or praise.  Overhyped?  Probably.  But therein lies the accomplishment, I think... to have an album of Sunbather's nature enter the realm of bloated chat and that dreaded "overhyped" title, right up there with the likes of Kanye West and commercial juggernauts.  To see any Deathwish release reach that sort of popularity is impressive, but when the record kicks as much ass it does, I think that's a beautiful combination worth celebrating.  Overhyped or otherwise.

Yeah, I certainly don't think that they created a new genre.  And any publication who believes otherwise is simply misinformed.  But I think the fact that an album like Sunbather[/b] did become overhyped in 2013 is quite the feat.  It's not exactly radio-friendly, but the [nearly] unanimous praise, exposure from Pitchfork, and cameo in Apple ads... I consider that impressive, definitely.  It's a bit of a Catch-22, I suppose -- as much as I love the album, I would agree that - for a while there, at least - it felt like the album was inescapable in discussion or praise.  Overhyped?  Probably.  But therein lies the accomplishment, I think... to have an album of Sunbather's nature enter the realm of bloated chat and that dreaded "overhyped" title, right up there with the likes of Kanye West and commercial juggernauts.  To see any Deathwish release reach that sort of popularity is impressive, but when the record kicks as much ass it does, I think that's a beautiful combination worth celebrating.  Overhyped or otherwise.

Hit the nail on the head.

• 2 weeks later...

So random.  Looks identical to the most recent press.  I wonder if Tre or someone else can confirm if this is a thing.

Still haven't listened to the whole album yet, might have to if it gets repressed again. Kinda surprised there hasn't been a white/pink variant (as far as I know?) would make sense.

there is no IF its happening. it is.

piratespress.com/rotw

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster