[PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster

Also tried to the tour press and didn't get one at the Boston show, no worries though, Deafheaven sounded unreal and I really dig the Baby Pink/Piss Yellow variant, will just have to keep trying for one of those splatter variants....

BTBAM was also pretty tight even with all the awful Parallax songs. I just wish this band would do an Alaska or Silent Circus tour like nothing else at this point.

Dude, parallax is ace.

Dude, parallax is ace.

its certainly a solid record, has some crazy playing, and the sci-fi influence is cool, but for me the height of the band will always be Alaska. Its their most interesting and challenging IMO, has some of the weirdest and coolest guitar playing i've heard in heavy metal, and never becomes gimmicky. as much as i love Colors, aspects of that record felt gimmicky, but it still had the amazing sense of aesthetics of Alaska and the earlier material. 

The great misdirect and parallax are solid records in their own right but,d at least for me, they both get shit on so hard by tracks like Roboturner or Camilla Rhodes that it all feels a little lackluster. it probably doesn't help that i've only seen the band Post-TGM, and obviously they play whatever their most current material is, but i would go insane for a show where they didn't pull out anything post Alaska. 

i'll listen to Parallax some more though, hopefully it will continue to grow on me, the songs all sounded sweet live.

Tre, I know this is probably a dumb a question, but how much DW stuff do you absolutely love? I think you believe in everything you guys put out, but do you really like everything?

I love all our records the same.

That's like asking a parent to pick their favorite kid.

Hey Fangs, care to scan the article itself so we can read it? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.

I'm really interested in that article too...

I unfortunately don't own a scanner large enough to scan Now magazines ,12" by 10", but I do have a camera that isn't my cellphone so here are my photos. It's a rather dumpy article focusing around the whole language games of genre, more so than Deafheaven itself. I think it speaks mountains considering they're opening for Between the Buried and Me tonight and they're on the front cover of Now Magazine. I'd feel like crap if I were BTBAM.

I found the article online here:

http://nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=196863

But if you prefer to look at my shitty photos, I'll leave them posted.

Cover:

UgImgKs.jpg

Page 1:

1LsEtdP.jpg

Page 1 Article:

r1L0E4c.jpg

Page 2:

6wnQbYX.jpg

Page 2 Article 1:

BYXBVXJ.jpg

Page 2 Article 2:

AHFdKhi.jpg

Page 3:

6Xf6hzS.jpg

Bonus Side bar [Please note the album art is in the wrong order]:

yDusGDO.jpg

Imgur Album

Guest Justin Maheiny

If Deafheaven is going to be described as a black metal band, and I'm not saying that is or isn't a correct definition of their music, but if they are, I don't think calling them a "pop" version of black metal is really that unfair. Considering that some of the early members of the genre defining bands routinely burned churches, were nazis, embraced war and satanism, ate pieces of their bandmate's brains after he blew himself away with a shotgun, murdered a rival band member & bragged about/served time for killing a homosexual, I'd say Deafheaven is pretty "pop" in comparison.

p.s.

Real black metal bands don't play Candy Crush.

If Deafheaven is going to be described as a black metal band, and I'm not saying that is or isn't a correct definition of their music, but if they are, I don't think calling them a "pop" version of black metal is really that unfair. Considering that some of the early members of the genre defining bands routinely burned churches, were nazis, embraced war and satanism, ate pieces of their bandmate's brains after he blew himself away with a shotgun, murdered a rival band member & bragged about/served time for killing a homosexual, I'd say Deafheaven is pretty "pop" in comparison.

p.s.

Conversations about genres are boring. 

Bands have influences and write songs. 

Then other people put genres on them and argue. 

p.s.

I'm not trying to be a dick, just pointing out something I think should be noted. Are we talking about what these guys do in the studio/onstage or about how they live their personal lives? When I like a band, I don't usually give a fuck about what the dummies do in their spare time. If I liked bands based on their lifestyles, then I would strictly listen to Reggae, not church-burning, member-eating, murderous Nazis.

Edit: it should be noted that I do NOT condone listening to Reggae.

p.s.

I don't think anyone's calling it unfair. It's just a cheap headline. 

• Derek™ changed the title to [PO] Deafheaven // Sunbather – 10 Year Remaster