Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Hey everyone, I currently have a Music Hall mmf2.2 with the stock cartridge. It runs through a vintage Mitsubishi da-r8 with matching speakers (this is a what I inherited from my father).

What do you feel would be the first thing to upgrade with this setup?

I feel like I’m getting a good sound but really have no baseline to gauge it so I’d like you opinions on this gear.

Also, the receiver’s tuner does not work and needs some repair. What do you think it might cost to repair/service this receiver while I save some cash to upgrade components?

My budget would likely be between 400-600 dollars when I save some money. If I should save more to get better quality items just le me know. Thanks in advance!

The first one looks ok but I wouldn't pay a lot for it. not one I recognise so I expect it never made it over to the UK but the arm and it's general make up all look familiar, I wouldn't want to pay more than say $15 or $20 for it but I may be way out on that one so someone in the US will be better placed to comment.

Looks like all it needs is a headshell and cart, it says it's direct drive so power it up and see if the speed is stable on both 33 and 45 and that you can adjust the speed and get it back to set.

The 2nd is a nice curio but not really what you want for playing records and the 3rd is a Garrard and apart from the 301 and 401 which are legendary they are the usual BSR crap that got used in most music centres and the like, they are ok but were made to a price and a particular lower end market.

Hi all,

I have a few questions and would like to get your opinions on. So I've decided to upgrade my system. I have a rega rp1 currently hooked up to a marantz surround sound system. I've decided to purchase a marantz pm6004 strictly for use with my turntable, tape deck and CD player.

1. is there, or would you recommend an acrylic platter for the rp1? I honestly just love the way an acrylic platter looks but don't know if its worthwhile or possibly detrimental to the sound of an rp1.

2. SPEAKERS... I'm going to the only quality audio shop in the area to test some out but would like some possibilities before hand. The only place that sells speakers near me are basically best buy and he Gregg. I do really like the way the Klipsch Kf-28 floor speakers sound. They are currently on sale for $700 for the pair.

My questions are, are there comparable speakers that are cheaper, or same priced speakers that are better, and are there comparable bookshelf sized speakers in the same or lower price range?

Thanks in advance!

Most people here are replacing the steel platter on their Pro-ject Carbons and it's a nice upgrade at ~$100.  The resin platter on your RP1 is a little different situation....You can get an acrylic replacement for an RP1 here.  $200 seems a bit steep to me.  At that point, you might as well be looking at an RP3, right?

I don't have much input on speakers.  My living room is too small for floorstanding speakers.  I have my PM6004 paired with Monitor Audio RX1s that I really like, but I'm sure that others with much more experience can make better recommendations. 

side note--Accessories 4 Less has the PM6004 for $333.33 for a refurb vs $400 at Music Direct.   Worth considering if you are still price shopping.

Most people here are replacing the steel platter on their Pro-ject Carbons and it's a nice upgrade at ~$100.  The resin platter on your RP1 is a little different situation....You can get an acrylic replacement for an RP1 here.  $200 seems a bit steep to me.  At that point, you might as well be looking at an RP3, right?

I don't have much input on speakers.  My living room is too small for floorstanding speakers.  I have my PM6004 paired with Monitor Audio RX1s that I really like, but I'm sure that others with much more experience can make better recommendations. 

side note--Accessories 4 Less has the PM6004 for $333.33 for a refurb vs $400 at Music Direct.   Worth considering if you are still price shopping.

Definitely price shopping. Thanks for the advice and heads up! I honestly shouldn't be getting floor speakers either. But those klipsch sounded so damn good. I live in a townhouse and its a nice size but not huge by any means. Currently I'm running pioneer bookshelf through my marantz surround sound receiver, and it sounds ok, but I need ore power. I'm assuming the speaker upgrade along with the pm6004 will make quite the difference.

As for the Rega, I only paid $400 for it, so even with the upgraded platter, wether it be the acrylic or the steel, and an upgraded cartridge would be a $200-$300 addition. I think it's worth it.

The KF-28 is a good speaker, if you like those and are able to spend a little more I would recommend to check out the Energy CF-70 speakers. They'll be inside of any Best Buy that has a Magnolia Home Theater. Klipsch owns Energy and the CF-70s are more efficient and will sound a bit cleaner as well (I always thought the low-end was a little muddy on the newer Klipsch speakers). From Magnolia you might want to check out the Bowers and Wilkins 683 towers which are another jump up in price (my personal favorite in this range).

And just a heads up, the 683s are now discontinued and your store may be willing to sell you the floor models for a good discount. I would say it's worth a shot if you like what you hear.

The best thing to do in Magnolia is bring a CD or USB of music that you like to listen to and hear how each speaker sounds to you and what you like best. It's the most effective way to audition speakers.

The KF-28 is a good speaker, if you like those and are able to spend a little more I would recommend to check out the Energy CF-70 speakers. They'll be inside of any Best Buy that has a Magnolia Home Theater. Klipsch owns Energy and the CF-70s are more efficient and will sound a bit cleaner as well (I always thought the low-end was a little muddy on the newer Klipsch speakers). From Magnolia you might want to check out the Bowers and Wilkins 683 towers which are another jump up in price (my personal favorite in this range).

And just a heads up, the 683s are now discontinued and your store may be willing to sell you the floor models for a good discount. I would say it's worth a shot if you like what you hear.

The best thing to do in Magnolia is bring a CD or USB of music that you like to listen to and hear how each speaker sounds to you and what you like best. It's the most effective way to audition speakers.

I actually went to the localish home theater store and tested out some bookshelf speakers as I just don't have the room for floor speakers, so now I'm thinking the klipsch reference rb 51 ii or the klipsch 61 ii. Both sounded amazing to my ears. Ill run to magnolia today and see what they have to offer.

First of all, extreme thanks to the original poster for this highly informative thread. This is really excellent stuff. I've been dabbling with vinyl for a good few years now, but I've finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a reasonable system.

Right now, I'm looking at a set of Audioengine P4 speakers and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable. I'm not really sure what to do about the amp, though. There seem to be at least a half dozen quality amps in the $300-500 range, and frankly I'm not sure how to determine which is "best" or most appropriate for my needs considering the other components I'll be using. I'd love for some guidance on this topic if anybody thinks they could lend a hand.

Cheers, fellas!

First of all, extreme thanks to the original poster for this highly informative thread. This is really excellent stuff. I've been dabbling with vinyl for a good few years now, but I've finally decided to take the plunge and invest in a reasonable system.

Right now, I'm looking at a set of Audioengine P4 speakers and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon turntable. I'm not really sure what to do about the amp, though. There seem to be at least a half dozen quality amps in the $300-500 range, and frankly I'm not sure how to determine which is "best" or most appropriate for my needs considering the other components I'll be using. I'd love for some guidance on this topic if anybody thinks they could lend a hand.

Cheers, fellas!

Go with that Marantz PM6004. Like $400 for a great integrated amp.

Seems like a lot of love for the Marantz. The more I think of it, though, the more I realize I wouldn't mind having the option of an optical input, so I could route my Apple TV through it. Most of my "serious" music listening is vinyl based, but it would be nice to be able to stream my television through the setup. It looks like the Marantz doesn't offer this option, though. How much would a reasonable DAC component cost to accomplish this feat?

Seems like a lot of love for the Marantz. The more I think of it, though, the more I realize I wouldn't mind having the option of an optical input, so I could route my Apple TV through it. Most of my "serious" music listening is vinyl based, but it would be nice to be able to stream my television through the setup. It looks like the Marantz doesn't offer this option, though. How much would a reasonable DAC component cost to accomplish this feat?

evidently the new pm6005 has an optical input: http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/marantz-pm6005-integrated-amplifier

I like my Emotiva XDA-2 ($270) or as pointed out above, you can get the Marantz PM6005 ($700).   Most of the recommended 'entry level' options fall in to the $300ish range (Cambridge Audio Dacmagic ($300), Schiit Bifrost ($360 and up).  

Price difference being basically a wash, I tend to prefer having a separate component, but others may prefer the integrated option.

If you're looking for a cheap cheap cheap solution, I just bought a FIIO D3 ($30) to use in a bedroom system (PM5004 + Apple TV) and it works well enough that I will likely keep it around until I upgrade my living room DAC at some point and move the XDA-2 to the bedroom.

I guess it is also worth mentioning that the PM6004 is mostly hard to beat because of its clearance price.  I'm sure there are other integrated amps with DACs to consider in the $700 range.