The Xbox One

Ah. Gotcha. You are saying you don't want to pay a premium for lets say a $500, when they could have potentially just updated hardware relevant to core gaming for say, $250.

I would love it if Sony did that. Have these companies really maxed out the hardware potential of the last round of gaming systems though? The graphics look sweet at 1080p, you can play online without glitches / buffering. Yeah, there is some loading but I don't need to pay $250 to reduce loading times from 10 seconds down to 5. The hard drives are huge. I just think the PS3 was fine (again, I say PS3 cause I don't buy xbox).

I'd also love it if one day you could just buy a $200 copy of Madden or something and then every year just download an update to it (not just rosters, but the tiny little changes they make to gameplay each year to be able to repackage it as a "new" game). Maybe the update cost $10 a year or something. Way better system. EA would never mess with a cash cow the way it is, though.

The smartphone fills a niche perfectly -- constantly connected everywhere you go but at a price (small screen and relatively slow internet). No other device is really a good substitute. It's really not the same thing as complaining about everything in your house trying to be a computer.

I don't disagree with that, my point was how this could be analogous at some point in the not too distant future.

I think the "digital ecosystem", or whatever you want to call it (probably not that), in the home is still new and open. In many ways, I think a lot of this TV stuff is actually way behind. Xbox One isn't the first device to try and add new features and consolidate old ones. Google tried, Roku and other devices are also trying. Maybe Xbox will fall flat on their face, or maybe they'll succeed for the time being. 

Point is, if they just sat their and released another gaming console they are putting themselves at a strategic disadvantage as they are competing, at this point, with not only other gaming consoles but other devices as well. 

Amen to the Madden subscription brother. 

Point is, if they just sat their and released another gaming console they are putting themselves at a strategic disadvantage as they are competing, at this point, with not only other gaming consoles but other devices as well. 

I just look at it as them thinking "we need to release a new system about every 5 years and if there isn't enough technological advancement to justify it for the gameplay, we'll just throw a bunch of other things in there to justify making people buy a new system to stay current".

Maybe I'm wrong though. The PS3 did do a nice job of consolidating the netflix-device, blu-ray/dvd player, and gaming system, eliminating the need for some extra equipment. The media server feature is useful too if you know how to use it. If the next gen systems push our society technologically to the point where you can just buy one and eliminate the need for another device (maybe this completely eliminates the DVR / Cable Box) then I'll call it a win. I'm not sold yet, though.

Looks like I'll stick to PC gaming.

Word. I'm so glad I don't give a shit about consoles. Gamecube was the last one that enticed me. I still can't believe it's already time for new systems to be released again.

This indie Dev nailed it I think. Really curious to see what they show at E3 and if this gamble will pay off. (Via Joystiq)

Brian Provinciano, Vblank Entertainment

"Their intention from the first Xbox was to own the living room, and the evolution of the 360 showed this trajectory in motion. The Xbox One is them realizing this vision. The problem is, they're leaving core gamers behind. You would've thought that the reaction to their E3 2012 press conference would've been a wake up call, but they're on a different course. They see more money in general entertainment, media and ads than core gamers. They see dollar signs with subscription fees. They want the revenue stream that cable providers and phone carriers have been enjoying. I'm certain that the Xbox One will launch with the base price plus a 2 - 3 year contract. The unfortunate thing about this is that many consumers will be fooled by the lower price point, even though they'll end up paying more in the long run.

"They're preaching TV services to gamers and gamer press, the exact group of people who will be least receptive to it. Microsoft's direction isn't in line with E3, it's in line with CES.

If you believe that the PS4 is "gamer centric" or "by gamers for gamers" then you have bought the Sony marketing machine hook, line and sinker.  Historically, consoles that have focused exclusively on just games have failed (3DO, Neo Geo, Phillips CDi, Virtual Boy, even Wii U).  

I still have friends that only use the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player, because at the time, it was one of the best deals for a Blu-Ray player that could also play games and connect to the Internet.  Do you truly believe that Sony will kill some of their relationships with Netflix, MLB, NHL, Hulu Plus, etc. for the PS4?

Both consoles will have entertainment apps, streaming/cloud based services, etc.  Sony is trying to claim that they are more gamer friendly and targeting indie developers (likely, so they create an App Store to compete with Apple, Amazon and Google Play).   Will their app store be user friendly, will the price points be competitive and will the developers get a larger cut of profits than selling elsewhere.  These are things that have yet to be announced.

Microsoft is trying to go after the family/Wii market and those that are not technically savvy by creating a device that will be an all in one device and thus, try to steal away the idea of buying an Apple TV, Roku, Ouya, or similar device that the Comcast/Time Warner/Verizon's of the world would like you to buy (don't think that they wouldn't like a piece of the gaming pie)

In addition, while all of the details haven't been announced, if they create a used game marketplace, where you could buy/sell/trade used games on Xbox Live versus having to deal with Gamestop or Ebay, that could be huge, provided it is run effectively.  Forcing people to pay a fee as much as a new game to play a used game is not cool.  But again, until full details are released, it is pure speculation.

The key thing for any console to survive will be the games.  I am curious about the 15 exclusives and since Microsoft has traditionally been rather poor with 1st party development, it will be interesting to see how many exclusives they plan to "buy".  That is essentially how the Gears series made it's way to X360.  

But I would likely but a lot of money that MS will pay for Respawn Entertainment's new game to be a 1st party exclusive, since Bungie has already announced that Destiny's DLC will appear on PS4 first.  The question is then, how many other major publishers would be willing to give MS an exclusive title?  The EA sports announcements and the exclusive agreement will be interesting.  Are these timed releases or will X1 get FIFA exclusively for 6 months before being released on PS4?  If so, that'd be huge for Xbox in Europe, where the PS3/X360 are pretty even in sales, despite the 360 getting just about a year head start.

Pricing will also be key.  I expect that both Sony and MS will have multiple price points (basic vs. deluxe) when their consoles are released and most pricing shouldn't be higher than $499 for both consoles (we'll see if both companies do a subsidized subscription service option).

Basically, it is all wait and see.  We'll have E3 and then probably even more info later at Gamescon in Germany.  But I am excited for both consoles and their potential.

Historically, consoles that have focused exclusively on just games have failed (3DO, Neo Geo, Phillips CDi, Virtual Boy, even Wii U).

Uhh...couldn't one make the argument that the NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. all "focused exclusively on just games"? We all know how those consoles did.

I mean I get your point, but there were other reasons those systems failed imho.

Thats a lot of posting.

I am loyal to the PS3 but I've never owned an XBOX. I can't say definitively one is better than the other so I stick with what I know. If one of them puts out a system that trounces the PS4, I'd consider a move. If they are pretty close to equal, I won't.

Uhh...couldn't one make the argument that the NES, Genesis, SNES, etc. all "focused exclusively on just games"? We all know how those consoles did.

I mean I get your point, but there were other reasons those systems failed imho.

Yeah, I was going to say something similar. What does looking at 20 year old systems that failed like Virtual Boy and Neo Geo tell you about the industry today? The only systems that have really gone after integration of more features than just game play were the last generation (arguably earlier one, if you want to consider the ability to play a music cd like the PS1 or a DVD like the PS2). Doesn't make any sense to draw conclusions about how successful a system that focuses only on games and point to a completely different era for examples (when there were only systems that were focused on games).

Hey Neo Geo isn't 20 years old, it's back baby!!  http://neogeox.com/   hahahaha.

No, but seriously, I think what the point I was trying to make is that in this new generation/age of internet connectivity, media convergence, etc. there will never be a truly "gamer only" console.  So for people to believe that Sony is really targeting only the hardcore gamer this time (I guess the PS3 and PS2 don't count, huh?) and thus neglecting other aspects of their audience (e.g. Netflix, PS Plus subscribers, etc.) is very misguided and just marketing spiel.  I am sure that a lot of the features MS announced today, will be copied/duplicated in some fashion for the PS4, we just haven't heard about it yet. 

Again, the games will speak from themselves and Sony will have their Uncharted's, Ratchet and Clank's, Killzone's, God of War's and MS will have Halo, Gears of War, Forza, etc.

Yeah, PS4 will be Netflix ready, no doubt. Pretty soon my coffee maker is going to be netflix ready.

We'll see about the rest. I don't think anyone expects a ps4 to lose any functionality (I don't follow these releases THAT closely, just my intuition). I also don't expect the industry to create a "system to end all systems". I DO expect them to continue to push the longevity of systems further and further as there are fewer "breakthrough" technologies and more "universal connectivity" technologies. Just makes sense.

I bought both systems this past cycle and moved to Xbox exclusively because the multiplayer was much better.

I suspect next round will be similar in the sense that there is no wrong answer, it just depends on what you are looking for.

One thing that is present and hard to quantify is your community on a given network. I'm open to PS4 but I've been gaming with 20 or so buddies on 360 for years now. So if they don't want to swap... I won't either.

Consoles need to distinguish themselves from the PC. They can't compete on a hardware level because the cycles are becoming longer and longer. If they don't make a push for owning the living room then there's not too much incentive for people to purchase the latest console when the graphical upgrades aren't a giant leap - and are still behind those of a PC. The only reason I would buy a new Xbox is for the entertainment features. If I want to play a game, I'd rather do it on my PC where I'm probably going to have a better experience. How many game centric improvements can they truly make at this point other than graphics? They tried with the Kinect - and were killed by gamers for not being "hardcore" enough - otherwise I don't see much room for improvement.

Consoles need to distinguish themselves from the PC. They can't compete on a hardware level because the cycles are becoming longer and longer. If they don't make a push for owning the living room then there's not too much incentive for people to purchase the latest console when the graphical upgrades aren't a giant leap - and are still behind those of a PC. The only reason I would buy a new Xbox is for the entertainment features. If I want to play a game, I'd rather do it on my PC where I'm probably going to have a better experience. How many game centric improvements can they truly make at this point other than graphics? They tried with the Kinect - and were killed by gamers for not being "hardcore" enough - otherwise I don't see much room for improvement.

I don't have a good reason for why I don't PC game but I don't. And I don't intend to start anytime soon, regardless of the difference in hardware. Gamers still fire up their NES and Sega Genesis systems occasionally, so it's not like hardware is everything. Not saying hardware quality isn't important in a new gaming system but it's only one slice of the pizza regarding why people play the systems that they do.

I have no intention of jumping to PC anytime soon regardless of smoother graphics and I know I'm just one of probably many millions of people like that.

i haven't read through all of this thread...

all i want to know is,

-will it play 360 games out of the box?

-will it have a blu-ray player? (it's not really all-in-one if it doesn't)

-is the old kinnect compatible or will i have to buy a new one?

-how much?

The only answer that we have to any of the questions officially is it will have a Blu Ray player.  I've read something on Cnet saying that because they switched to a different processor that 360 games won't work, which I think its crap because they're Microsoft they could figure out how to make games work.  My guess is they figure out a cloud based way to download 360 games that you own to your xbox one since it has a 500GB harddrive now, but again that is speculation.

Nothing is backwards compatible, that goes for games and equipment. I haven't read whether the Kinect is an add-on or something that comes with the console. 

Maybe they have some type of download or emulation for older games like the PS4 but it wasn't announced. 

Every system will come with the new Kinect and it will be required for use.