Buy a 4k record...

I like how on this board buying a $4000 Chung King that sounds way shittier than the later release makes sense, but buying a $4000 7 record box that (supposedly) sounds way superior to any other release available is unheard of. Since, well, that was supposed to be the whole point of buying records.

The highest price paid for a Chung King so far is $3500. I know because I sold it a few years back. It was #65. At $3500, it makes WAY more sense than $4000.  /sarcasm

This is expensive because its a 7Lp box. The single LPs from the electric recording Co. are about $500 each.

Keep in mind that original pressings of these LPs sell around that $4000 price. Especially more so for the 7Lp boxes and such. The fact that you have very well done replications of these originals is a dream come true for collectors.

Personally, I think better results and better sound could be had using more modern playback and cutting equipment. But that is not to Davies' taste, and not to the taste of those who would be in the market for these. He set out to replicate the originals as faithfully as possible for a fraction of the cost, and he certainly exceeded. I think most don't realize exactly how difficult it is to replicate processes used in production that haven't been used since the 1950's/1960's. These reissues come far closer than I could have ever expected,. They are extremely well done, but the people who have nothing but negative things to say need to take a step back and realize that maybe they are not part of the market for whom this release is intended.