PO: Nirvana - In Utero (3LP 20th Anniversary)

I've been put down by those prices, both with Nevermind and now with In Utero. The deluxe editions are insanely expensive. Listened to those albums too much since I was a teenager, it's like they're carved in my head. I don't think they would get heavy rotation to justify the kind of prices Geffen asked for.

Will buy though if it ever pops up with a discounted price.

I ordered a copy from Best Buy a while ago and should have shipped yesterday. I got a "your item is back ordered until 10/4-10/10" or some shit from them instead. Bummer!

I wonder why only a few copies made it to market so far?

BB seems to be getting the short end of the stick with new vinyl releases. I ordered NIN hesitation marks from them and it took almost a month to ship.

I wanted to apologize for my earlier snarky comment about 20th anniversary pressing and this thread. I was under the impression the vinyl was the 2013 mix. Obviously i was wrong, and I'm sorry.

A quick A/B of the ORG and this tells me there isn't a real noticeable difference. Both sound fantastic.

That's what I've been hearing, that there are slight differences, but nothing that stick out as being better or worse, if one can even tell. So in the end, the vinyl is really just for the B-sides.

I have not heard the vinyl, but I listened to the 2013 mix of the album today. I think it's terrible. Everything feels so flat. And what in the world did they do to the guitar solo on Serve the Servants? That has always been my favorite part of the album, and they completely butchered it.

This mix really takes out the rawness that makes In Utero such a great album. Was the band really okay with this mix?

the ORG version sounds great but the new 45 RPM press sounds amazing. I wouldn't say its a must have if you already have the ORG but I think it's clearly better.

The 2013 mix on the CD is cool and there's a lot that I like but it's not the actual album. It was Krist and Steve Albini just giving the listener a new experience. Like the new guitar solo on "Serve the Servants". That was just an alternate take and they put that in to give the so g a new feel. Just Something different.

I have not heard the vinyl, but I listened to the 2013 mix of the album today. I think it's terrible. Everything feels so flat. And what in the world did they do to the guitar solo on Serve the Servants? That has always been my favorite part of the album, and they completely butchered it.

This mix really takes out the rawness that makes In Utero such a great album. Was the band really okay with this mix?

Flat is the opposite of what it sounds and is. The harsh juxtapositions of quiet and loud aspects are far more pronounced the drums sound far louder than before with considerable weight and venom. The range is used particularly well, timing is far more pronounced too.

The album is far more raw and visceral as a result.

Flat is the opposite of what it sounds and is. The harsh juxtapositions of quiet and loud aspects are far more pronounced the drums sound far louder than before with considerable weight and venom. The range is used particularly well, timing is far more pronounced too.

The album is far more raw and visceral as a result.

Okay, maybe I was a bit extreme in my reaction. I need to listen to this again. Understand that this is an album that I've been listening to for 20 years, an album that I fell in love with in 1993, an album that has always been my favorite of Nirvana's and one of my all-time favorites. It's hard for me to get accustomed to a different version of it 20 years later.

On first listen, I thought it sounded cleaner. But, I will listen more per your suggestion.

Okay, maybe I was a bit extreme in my reaction. I need to listen to this again. Understand that this is an album that I've been listening to for 20 years, an album that I fell in love with in 1993, an album that has always been my favorite of Nirvana's and one of my all-time favorites. It's hard for me to get accustomed to a different version of it 20 years later.

On first listen, I thought it sounded cleaner. But, I will listen more per your suggestion.

My feeling was just the opposite. I've been listening to it for 20 years and this is something fresh and different and it makes the album feel new again.

I don't think the 2013 mix is flat, I think it's got a little more punch to it. Sure the solo is inferior and the cello being louder in the mix on Dumb is a bit much. But other than those 2 low points, the mix is fantastic and fresh.

The European version didn't come with a download. I had a deal with Amazon so cancelled the Norman Records order and the Amazon autorip for the 3LP set is the standard original MP3 of the album and not the remastered and recut version.

That's a bummer. I was going to suggest people order from Amazon. My Smashing Pumpkins reissue LPs all AutoRipped to the digital Deluxe Editions.

From the bottom of the last page:

It's not a simple remaster. For one different intros and outros are used, Dumb lacks the cello in the chorus and Serve The Servants has a different solo. A remaster? Yes. Original master tapes? yes, but not the same cuts.

The download is everything on the 3 LP set in a 320 Kbps rip straight from the record. Kinda dumb really. If you're going to rip from the record than make it FLAC or Lossless, methinks.

This is another discussion but you're way off the mark. Particularly since the merits of Flac of even an mp3 encoded well to a moderate and not even high bitrate are imperceptible to the human ear as many blind tests have proven. It makes audiophiles happy though because their computer programs can show the visual difference.

Amazon Autorip does not claim to do vinyl ripping, instead it offers you a free download of the album you;re meant to be buying. Same content and not necessarily a literal rip. The least I'd expect from an Autorip of the 3LP is the same tracks ripped from the CD version - unfortunately they offer you the original 12 track MP3 set they've sold for the last whatever amount of years.

So dumb question in the 3xLP release the 2013 mix?

Yes. Here are all the details of it including images I uploaded this morning:

http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-In-Utero/release/4927358

I guess there isn't much need for me to get this then. I was hoping for the 2013 mix so at least it would be different than the other two or three copies I already have of this album.

There quite a few differences.