Black Friday Record Store Day--November 2013

Life is what you make of it.  I've got the same 2 guys I've been in line with for 3 years now at my RSD store.  Great meeting up with them and chatting for a few hours each year.  I don't think I've ever had a convo with someone in line who I thought was a douche.

This! 

The girl in front of me only wanted Mumford & Sons while she was there. The guy behind me was into old psych rock. Our tastes didn't overlap much at all, but was still fun chatting with them about their favorite records, shows, moments in music, etc. I find it hard to believe you can't find some common ground with a complete stranger to talk about for a couple of hours. 

This! 

The girl in front of me only wanted Mumford & Sons while she was there. The guy behind me was into old psych rock. Our tastes didn't overlap much at all, but was still fun chatting with them about their favorite records, shows, moments in music, etc. I find it hard to believe you can't find some common ground with a complete stranger to talk about for a couple of hours. 

Exactly.  You must really be socially awkward (coming from me a generally introverted person) if you can't at least find SOME common ground with any person in this world that you sit in line with for 3+ hours.  If that's the case, go back into your mama's basement and find all your RSD wants online.  Cannot believe (and have never once seen, BTW) somebody just sitting in line silent with headphones on.

If you're on this music-based message board and cannot find some reason to talk music with others, what is that really saying about you?  Haha.

Exactly.  You must really be socially awkward (coming from me a generally introverted person) if you can't at least find SOME common ground with any person in this world that you sit in line with for 3+ hours.  If that's the case, go back into your mama's basement and find all your RSD wants online.  Cannot believe (and have never once seen, BTW) somebody just sitting in line silent with headphones on.

Says somebody who needs RSD to talk to people at the record store. I strike up conversation at the record store all the time. I don't need to spend hours in line one or two days a year with a bunch of people waiting to buy overpriced crap to call myself social.

I do not like RSD lines. Last RSD I got stuck behind people discussing the potential profit in the releases, one of whom snagged a 7" I wanted despite stating he had no idea what it was. I care less and less about the releases each year. The Rocket from the Crypt LPs were a nice surprise, though. Also, got a discount on some Pixies albums I wanted. I generally can converse with people in line, hell, I went to PAX and had an awesome time waiting in line for 3 days. I feel like RSD brings out jerks.

You guys are better people than me.

The few times I went out on RSD and waited in line I immediately hated the folks around me in line. I just stood in line silently and quietly seethed about the annoying people around me until the store opened.

You nailed the feeling for me.

If you're on this music-based message board and cannot find some reason to talk music with others, what is that really saying about you?  Haha.

It's not about being socially awkward. I make my living speaking in public to classrooms full of adults and I have a second job as a server at a restaurant that requires me to be knowledgable about food/beer/whiskey and speak confidently about it.

It's about not giving two shits what the other fanboys in line are waiting for or what they did last year for RSD or how much they like/don't like bands I might or might not care for.

I'd much rather stand in line with earphones in that pretend to care about a conversation that I don't actually care to be having just to pass the time.

It's not about being socially awkward. I make my living speaking in public to classrooms full of adults and I have a second job as a server at a restaurant that requires me to be knowledgable about food/beer/whiskey and speak confidently about it.

It's about not giving two shits what the other fanboys in line are waiting for or what they did last year for RSD or how much they like/don't like bands I might or might not care for.

I'd much rather stand in line with earphones in that pretend to care about a conversation that I don't actually care to be having just to pass the time.

But then how will you know which Disturbed album is best?

Says somebody who needs RSD to talk to people at the record store. I strike up conversation at the record store all the time. I don't need to spend hours in line one or two days a year with a bunch of people waiting to buy overpriced crap to call myself social.

I don't need RSD to talk to people.  Though when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people who 

A) Like vinyl

B ) Like music

I tend to feel like I don't want to be sitting there wasting an opportunity to be able to discuss these things with others.

I don't need RSD to talk to people. Though when I'm surrounded by a bunch of people who

A) Like vinyl

B ) Like music

I tend to feel like I don't want to be sitting there wasting an opportunity to be able to discuss these things with others.

Okay cool guy. Why would everyone have to feel the same way as you to not be considered a "dork" though?

Okay cool guy. Why would everyone have to feel the same way as you to not be considered a "dork" though?

Because those who choose to throw on headphones instead of talking to people they already know beforehand that they don't like are the ones who have the "too cool for school" mentality.  Or maybe they're just too scared and/or socially awkward to relate to humanity?

Also, these are the ones who tend to gripe about RSD every single year it comes up.  If you don't like the music being released or don't like the people you're gonna wait in line with, why even show up in the first place?  You can find 90% of the things you're looking for online anyways.

Every single RSD you hear the same old complaints.  Personally, I haven't been to an RSD yet where I wouldn't want at LEAST 10 releases.

I just don't have time... I am a wedding photographer / videographer so every year when RSD comes around I am always working... it's much easier for me to just order online. I've been fairly successful too I've never missed a release or over pay for it.

People get married on Black Friday?