Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

i'll check 'em out today

probably he kiss of death, like Derek said.  

Cale: Drew was the atmospheric grower for me. So, so good now, the whole thing, but Jimmy Hoffa intro (earworm almost rivals Mogwai's Jim Morrison in addictiveness).  Solace I've listened to a zillion times, still not burned out - the build up parts to the key riff, like on Malachite still get me.

I would break from the pack and recommend you listen to the singles from Subsets of Sets first to get the idea of Jeff's (guitar) effects and motif - the space atmosphere delay that lulls you in, and then he smacks you with the wall of distortion hook/riff. Out comes the air guitar with 'guitar face' haha.

Ageena, Driver Here and Then, I'm On Your Side and The Collar Sets Well

probably he kiss of death, like Derek said.  

Cale: Drew was the atmospheric grower for me. So, so good now, the whole thing, but Jimmy Hoffa intro (earworm almost rivals Mogwai's Jim Morrison in addictiveness).  Solace I've listened to a zillion times, still not burned out - the build up parts to the key riff, like on Malachite still get me.

I would break from the pack and recommend you listen to the singles from Subsets of Sets first to get the idea of Jeff's (guitar) effects and motif - the space atmosphere delay that lulls you in, and then he smacks you with the wall of distortion hook/riff. Out comes the air guitar with 'guitar face' haha.

starting here

alright kiddos, i got:

Cale:Drew (320 kbps)

The Diffusion of Our Inherent Situation 7" Single 

Dominion (320 kbps)

Erfo 7" Single

Jakob EP

Semaphore 7" Single

Solace

Subsets of Sets (320 kbps)

probably going to re-download 'solace' for 320. otherwise, i'm set!

Good man.  Could I bum the S/T EP and Dominion off of you?  Never got around to those.  I can hook you up with a 320 Solace in exchange.

just finished subset of sets and i'm certainly intrigued

I've only given that album a spin once or twice in the past couple of weeks.  It's still very new to me.  Cale:Drew is another one I'm just barely more familiar with, but it hit me harder right out of the gates.  And of course, there's Solace.  I have a suspicion either of those will gel with you a bit better.

I'm a little embarassed to admit I haven't checked out Jakob yet either. I did see them open for Isis and thought they were really good, just never got around to listening after that.

#envy #jelly 

i hope to live to see them live someday. if they ever make it to the US anywhere east of the Mississippi River, there will be a family vacation planned.

Muchas gracias a Charlie for the Vasudeva Swirl sacrifice  (been playing that a lot, dudes are so talented, hope they find a good bassist).

I think they have been mentioned, but while all the background work is going on to get the official ranking polls up,....

Kerretta is another NZ trio who deserve at least one pass through their discography for instrumental postrock/metal fans as does Jakob.

No resemblance in sound at all to Jakob, these 3 crush with a heavier hammer, but... they do have a mellow side, and more lately, I think they are going experimental as well.

One 7" that gets more live play time than any of my others is Kerretta's "Death In The Future."  

I was prompted to post it here because I find the main melodic riff beginning a couple minutes in to be incredibly addictive, though simple, and such good feels.  Another trio y'all know I like is Colaris, and their guitarist Jessie, posted a cover of the guitar licks on youtube, which totally proved what a nerd I am at how excited I got that a German no-name is covering a Kiwi no-name's most melodic track. 

So, with all that hot air, here's 4:30 of your life to waste on something I like (and a little more time if you're a guitar nerd)

Major props and knucklebumps to trios, even with the looping pedals these days; you can't hide, and I have always respected that since I learned what playing in a band is all about, especially live sound vs. studio production.

http://youtu.be/0GPjPYtsKKc

http://youtu.be/78z7YAZ_wYc

I really really agree with this. Solace is solid as shit, and the one people always go to first, but Subsets of Sets is a perfect introduction to their recipe for rad and the rest of their discography is nothing to be ignored. The Collar Sets Well is still one of my favorites. There are parts where I just don't understand how only a single guitar is being played, but its so freaking good.  

• jhulud locked this topic