Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

It's cause of the t-shirt. Everything else could go media mail. Sounds like $4 for media for LPs/CD. Then $10 for priority for the shirt.

Ah, that makes sense. Although I kind of would expect them to just stuff the shirt in with everything else? Pretty sure TMS did that when I got the Jakob shirt with Sines...

Ah, that makes sense. Although I kind of would expect them to just stuff the shirt in with everything else? Pretty sure TMS did that when I got the Jakob shirt with Sines...

Could depend on the local USPS office. If they see you are shipping something media that isn't media, they'll send it back to you. Spartan probably doesn't want to risk it.

They played at Strange Matter last night in Richmond for their album release. Hopefully I'll catch these guys live when I move back to VA soon.

Had no idea you were moving back? and stomped around these parts as well in former days. Virginia will be a Caspian Vinyl mecca jeje :)

We'll definitely have to meet up at a show some time -my schedule gets crazy around holidays and family stuff going on, but we'll make it happen before you change your mind and move back to the PacNW!

Had no idea you were moving back? and stomped around these parts as well in former days. Virginia will be a Caspian Vinyl mecca jeje :)

We'll definitely have to meet up at a show some time -my schedule gets crazy around holidays and family stuff going on, but we'll make it happen before you change your mind and move back to the PacNW!

YUP! Kind of last minute. But I'll be back in a month. So VA is about to get 60+ Caspian records in it. Haha.

And please, that would be badass. I'm sure we can make something happen between all the shows in VA B / Smith / Ghent / RVA. And trust me, not coming back here. Haha.

I used to be in Newport News and I believe my folks were stationed somewhere there right before Nam. didn't know you were headed back either. #1 priority of that move is that collection, then your safety, I guess. ;)

Fuck my safety. My records are my number 1 concern. I've moved them from NY > SLC > WA > OR. So I think they'll be ok this go around. ; )

Here's an album that is currently destroying right now for me:

Arbor Lights - Hatherton Lake

Pretty standard post-rock/instrumental fare, but they make some really really nice use of horns and xylophone work to get this bombastic, epic, triumphant vibe.

The whole record is good, but the songs "Damascus" and "Silhouettes" quick sufficiently blew my socks off.

Onto the final track, "The Mayor and the Driver" and this bassline is thoroughly delicious.

Damascus starts at 12:44. The first 2 tracks are fine, but oh man... these last 3 are just really firing on all cylinders for me.

Can't find this band mentioned here and they were around well before Post Rock became a genre, but you should try out The God Machine. There's no Soundcloud stuff as they're far too old and obscure, but some of their stuff is up on Youtube. I've picked my favourite of all their songs to post here. Lots of their stuff has strings and lots of it is heavier than the track below.

http://www.discogs.com/artist/278050-The-God-Machine

When I first heard Mogwai, I assumed that they must have been listening to this. If I remember rightly, it turned out they had never heard of them. Looking back, it's where I heard the first seeds of what is now Post Rock. Feel free to disagree.

What started out as a simple way for me to keep track of what I have listened to myself kind of got out of control and this happened

It is by no means meant to be a replacement for the OP (and I have a rough list of pg. 34-current for mrewest if he wants it).

I started to organize it with you guys in mind, so hopefully everyone can get something from it. 

The genre tabs are empty because I'm bad at that, and that may be a project for another very cold weekend.

I also took it upon myself to add MovMou, Appleseed Cast, and Sigur Ros. Made no sense they were excluded but Athletics are on the list, especially considering the amount of people MovMou has converted.

Enjoy. It's public and everyone can comment. 

What started out as a simple way for me to keep track of what I have listened to myself kind of got out of control and this happened

It is by no means meant to be a replacement for the OP (and I have a rough list of pg. 34-current for mrewest if he wants it).

I started to organize it with you guys in mind, so hopefully everyone can get something from it. 

The genre tabs are empty because I'm bad at that, and that may be a project for another very cold weekend.

I also took it upon myself to add MovMou, Appleseed Cast, and Sigur Ros. Made no sense they were excluded but Athletics are on the list, especially considering the amount of people MovMou has converted.

Very nice idea, but I'm confused as to how Nordic Giants location has been listed as India! They're from Brighton, UK.

Very nice idea, but I'm confused as to how Nordic Giants location has been listed as India! They're from Brighton, UK.

Everything is pulled from BC or a quick search. They are listed as India for some reason.

I'll update that. The list is rough for sure. There are a few bands I just could not find, and there may be missing recommendations.

Everything is pulled from BC or a quick search. They are listed as India for some reason.

I'll update that. The list is rough for sure. There are a few bands I just could not find, and there may be missing recommendations.

Really digging the list. I'm going to explore it more once this week is overrr.

Nicely done!! Thanks! :)

• jhulud locked this topic