Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Digging the new Shy, Low:

I used to take promos of these guys when I lived on RVA, and they were still a (insert various sub genre) metal band.

Glad they transformed into a great post rock band. Their first release is great as well.

You can pick it up here: http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/558800-shy-low-hiraeth

I used to take promos of these guys when I lived on RVA, and they were still a (insert various sub genre) metal band.

Glad they transformed into a great post rock band. Their first release is great as well.

You can pick it up here: http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/558800-shy-low-hiraeth

I am really digging this. And just need more post rock in my collection in general. 

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT!!!!

Wowwwwwww... that was fucking incredible. Oh man, thank you for posting that.

That was fucking beautiful. And heavy, and powerful. Everything I want in music. The bass player in that band is absolutely tremendous; I love the sense of groove he has during that clean, blissful middle segment. The way he plays the "spaces" in between the notes, coupling with the drum on that one bassline... ugh, that is like fucking crack to me.

Throwing money at this pronto.

What else is good from them?

I live in Smithfield which is about 90 minutes SE of Richmond, near Norfolk-VA Beach (which NEVER gets any indie shows, only the big fish).

Shy, Low are great dudes, and the bassist used to do vocals iirc. Yes, I missed their release party at Strange Matter :(

Binary Opposition has a bonus track (3rd track), which blows the other two away for me.

The art and vinyl choices are on this release are gorgeous - jumped on it right away , sorry about not posting here but I thought everyone knew about it. 

Charie's right, this shoegaze/darkgaze band Keep from Richmond- man, on repeat for 2 weeks now! Sounds like Anne (Dream Punx era) with Layne Staley resurrected from the dead with massive reverb on vocals. Chills.  Link over in the shoegaze thread.

Been M.I.A. as of late but I'm really glad you guys are diggin' on Shy Low because they are seriously a great band. Binary Opposition is really awesome. I bought an /50 variant when it first came out and the sound quality is awesome. I haven't picked up the new one yet due to some financial issues but hopefully soon I can pick it up. The variants sound awesome.

Oh fuck that was nice.

I live in Smithfield which is about 90 minutes SE of Richmond, near Norfolk-VA Beach (which NEVER gets any indie shows, only the big fish).

Shy, Low are great dudes, and the bassist used to do vocals iirc. Yes, I missed their release party at Strange Matter :(

Binary Opposition has a bonus track (3rd track), which blows the other two away for me.

The art and vinyl choices are on this release are gorgeous - jumped on it right away , sorry about not posting here but I thought everyone knew about it. 

Charie's right, this shoegaze/darkgaze band Keep from Richmond- man, on repeat for 2 weeks now! Sounds like Anne (Dream Punx era) with Layne Staley resurrected from the dead with massive reverb on vocals. Chills.  Link over in the shoegaze thread.

Oh, shit. Don't know why I thought NOVA. I used to be in your neck of the woods all the time a few years back (Ghent, Norfolk, Smithfield, VA Beach - I had a thing for the beach bunnies - plus I would skate Trashmore all the time / my best friend is the manager of HK On The Bay. I remember getting kicked out of Peppermint Club like it was yesterday!)

So, the members of Shy, Low consists of two disbanded metal bands that I used to shoot promos for. One was called Pray For Plagues (shot them in an auto junk / scrap yard), and a band called Vessels (shot them in an abandoned factory). The photos are pretty damn funny, circa 2009.

And I agree, the bonus track 'Voyager' blows the vinyl tracks out of the water!

I'm probably just going to pick this up in person when I move back next month so I don't have to pay shipping. But I definitely recommend this band (obviously).

PSOTY have 2 albums before Fragments for name your price. More metal than rock. Would LOVE to those performed live.

You're welcome. How did you manage that? Congrats and thanks for sharing - and you didn't come off like bragging at all.

It was listed on eBay for a couple of weeks with a higher bid.  After it ended I sent a message asking if I could get it sent to me across the pond for $40.  I was surprised when they agreed. 

• jhulud locked this topic