Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Have you ever checked out Not to Reason Why? They're the pinnacle of piano post-rock in my opinion. Also you can pick up their 2xLP for $15 shipped from their Bandcamp, which is a nice treat.

I have not. I'll be checking them out tomorrow!

Not To Reason Why and Maybeshewill are my top picks for piano-driven post-rock.  (Minus that last Maybeshewill record, which was mediocre at best.)  It's probably heresy, but I've only listened to The Book of Hours by NTRW... and those 3 songs at 31 minutes have cemented my stance on them being kings of the piano in post-rock.  Criminally underrated.  I think I'll be throwing that on, now.

The more post oriented post rock is called postpost rock. Cmonnnnnn, man. Get with the times.

POST post-rock?!?!? Are there even INSTRUMENTS?

Haha.

Also, I need some advice on international shipping from you guys. I have a couple people interested in records from Switzerland and Belgium, but my post office quoted me at fucking $21.95 for a record, and you can't do tracking with that option.

Feel free to PM so as not to clog up the board here, but I'm just curious what you guys have all done in the past with regards to international shipping. Would UPS be cheaper? Fedex? This is uncharted territory for me.

POST post-rock?!?!? Are there even INSTRUMENTS?

Haha.

Also, I need some advice on international shipping from you guys. I have a couple people interested in records from Switzerland and Belgium, but my post office quoted me at fucking $21.95 for a record, and you can't do tracking with that option.

Feel free to PM so as not to clog up the board here, but I'm just curious what you guys have all done in the past with regards to international shipping. Would UPS be cheaper? Fedex? This is uncharted territory for me.

And this is why we have group buys, cause we are all painfully aware of oversea shipping costs. $22 is the norm for USPS.

Man oh man.  I am falling hard for that 3rd song on the Spurv album((Lyden av lov som biter seg fast til sin egen kropp).  The thing that brings it all together is that single, underlying bass note that just thumps throughout the whole song.  It's exactly what I love about Cecilia::Eyes' song "Default Descent".  It brings a sense of impending doom to the wall of sound that's happening there.  And it's one of the songs that give me a Shy, Low guitar tone sense.

Is there any other place besides Bandcamp to get that vinyl?  I priced out 5-7 copies earlier, and after the redistribution once it hits the US, you are only saving $2 per person.

I gave one of the Not To Reason Why albums a way-too-casual listen, but dug some of what I heard.  I need to give it some more dedicated time though.  I was too eager to relisten to Spurv again.

And then I got back in a Cecilia::Eyes mood, so I started listening to Here Dead We Lie again.  If anyone STILL hasn't checked them out yet, that album is a damn masterpiece.  

And to piggy back on the piano driven stuff, I forgot about the few songs on this album that are piano heavy mixed with their post-rock/shoegaze style, and it's pretty incredible.  Especially The Departure.

Is there any other place besides Bandcamp to get that vinyl? I priced out 5-7 copies earlier, and after the redistribution once it hits the US, you are only saving $2 per person.

Pretty sure it was only $22ish shipped from this link last time I checked: http://www.tigernet.no/item/141127--spurv--skarntyde--vinyl

On the NTRW front, just listen to the back-to-back "Monsieur" and "Zeitgeist". Knowing what I know, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Man oh man.  I am falling hard for that 3rd song on the Spurv album((Lyden av lov som biter seg fast til sin egen kropp).  The thing that brings it all together is that single, underlying bass note that just thumps throughout the whole song.  It's exactly what I love about Cecilia::Eyes' song "Default Descent".  It brings a sense of impending doom to the wall of sound that's happening there.  And it's one of the songs that give me a Shy, Low guitar tone sense.

Is there any other place besides Bandcamp to get that vinyl?  I priced out 5-7 copies earlier, and after the redistribution once it hits the US, you are only saving $2 per person.

Fuck yeah dude, that 3rd song is totally fucking epic. That's gotta be my favorite too.

I kind of wish that it developed further into another section, but it's still awesome on it's own as that one main ideal, dissolving into nothingness.

Fuck yeah dude, that 3rd song is totally fucking epic. That's gotta be my favorite too.

I kind of wish that it developed further into another section, but it's still awesome on it's own as that one main ideal, dissolving into nothingness.

I'm curious, have you ever once listened to a post rock song and thought to yourself "I love it just the way it is". It seems you always say how good a song is, but you wish it did X and Y instead.

I love this song, but...I wish it was 3 hours longer.

This song is epic, but...they need to change everything.

When I played this song I was thrown back in my seat,... I just wish they re-recorded the whole album differently.

I'm curious, have you ever once listened to a post rock song and thought to yourself "I love it just the way it is". It seems you always say how good a song is, but you wish it did X and Y instead.

I love this song, but...I wish it was 3 hours longer.

This song is epic, but...they need to change everything.

When I played this song I was thrown back in my seat,... I just wish they re-recorded the whole album differently.

Hahaha this made my chuckle.

But I would love a 5 song list from Gumbo of his ideas of "perfect" songs.

Figured I would throw out some bands on here since I haven't done that in a while.

Some new, some old, some you might have heard of, some you might haven't heard of.

Happy listening.

[...]

Save Us From The Archon // Thereafter // Experimental / Math Rock / Instrumental / Post Rock | Pittsburgh, PA

|| BC: https://saveusfromthearchon.bandcamp.com/album/thereafter-2

|| Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5HrtRdKfdnzXKaxkmpisTs

[...]

Square Peg Round Hole // Corners // Instrumental / Post Rock / Ambient / Jazz | Philly, PA

|| BC: https://squarepegroundholemusic.bandcamp.com/album/corners

|| Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7ayCMcHc4Z2apFJ3lK2x99

* The percussion definitely gives this album a jazz vibe, which I dig. Mixes it up a bit.

Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed those two especially :)

Finally picked up Jakob - Solace on vinyl yesterday for $40. It was the repress but still it feels pretty good.

Where in the ever-living fuck did you buy that from?!?!?

I'm genuinely interested.

Hmmmmmm, this one will be very, very tough.

Arcs of Command was the first thing that came to my mind, though. So much post-rock to cull from for this, I'll definitely have to get back to you about this.

"They Speak With Knives" is up there, too. Probably "Quiet" and/or "The World Is Our ___" by This Will Destroy You. And if we're counting post-metal, "Dim" by Cult of Luna for sure, even though that's really their version of "Weight" by Isis haha.

But yeah, let me think on this. Probably a bunch of old Joy Wants Eternity stuff, too. Just got their ENTIRE back catalog from this dude on Discogs.

As well as a bunch of Sunlight Ascending CDs!!!! I now have "All The Memories, All At Once," "The Appointment EP", and "You Don't Belong Here". So. Fucking. Good.

My thing with that track was that I kept waiting for it to change to a new section. It has that one TREMENDOUS fucking groove, and I just kept waiting and waiting for it to burst into a new section with a new chord or something, so that they could then maybe COME BACK to that killer fucking main A section.

Also, spinning "Young Mountain" by This Will Destroy You right now. Good lord, I forgot how fucking tremendous this album was. The first side is unfuckwithable. I have the green pressing with the weird shitty non-jacket and the awful text font that's super hard to read, but this pressing sounds fantastic.

Where in the ever-living fuck did you buy that from?!?!?

Talked a guy down on Discogs. He and I had been discussing for a while.

As well as a bunch of Sunlight Ascending CDs!!!! I now have "All The Memories, All At Once," "The Appointment EP", and "You Don't Belong Here".

This album was one of my gateways. Still love listening to it every now and again.

This album was one of my gateways. Still love listening to it every now and again.

Yeah, I can't believe I own it. All of their releases look super cool with the paper stock jackets.

And you suck for owning Solace. They just went for $50 and $80 on Discogs last week, and I regret not pulling the trigger on one of them. Damn, post-rock vinyl!

• jhulud locked this topic