Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Haha sorry dude! I tried using the ol' reliable search function & it didn't work at all. This just goes to show I need to do a better job checking out all the recs. This is a good one! Nice piano stuff mixed in as well!

No problem haha I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think that The Rifts has the problem of getting a bit monotonous at times, but that's the only flaw in a collection of otherwise great songs.

(I'd also still love to hear what you think of Not to Reason Why, if you ever have time to get around to it.)

No problem haha I wholeheartedly agree with you. I think that The Rifts has the problem of getting a bit monotonous at times, but that's the only flaw in a collection of otherwise great songs.

(I'd also still love to hear what you think of Not to Reason Why, if you ever have time to get around to it.)

I need to revisit that one again. Sometimes I start checking out a variety of new stuff & forget to go back & give things multiple listens. Putting it on my radar to revisit tomorrow!

New Bossk album is up for pre order. It is members of Cult of Luna, Baroness, and Yndi Halda.

Post metal / sludge. Really, really good.

dw187v-bundle01.bossk.audionoir.allthree

Pressing Info:

/300 Blob

/700 Lime

/1000 Purple

$14

// Listen to new song here: https://bosskband.bandcamp.com/album/audio-noir

// 'Pick Up Artist' from their 7" on DW: https://bosskband.bandcamp.com/track/pick-up-artist

// Pre order new album here: http://store.deathwishinc.com/category/BOSSK.html

Way different than their stuff from years ago (.1 and .2) but I think its great. I've been opening Bossk's twitter and facebook pages almost daily since December waiting for the pre-order to go up. 

Considered by many to be at the headwaters of the genre. Took me many a listen over a couple of years for things to click, something kept nagging at me to re-listen.

I think I saw it on a list years ago, but it was tagged post-metal so I didn't check it. Then someone mentioned the Talk Talk drummer being in it, and gave it a whirl yesterday. It's been a big discovery period, cause the artists I enjoy in this genre are pretty limited so I've been broadening my horizons lately, reading lists and taking recommendations from Matt and some others

Woah woah wait a second.

I listened to Kobe when I made that comment. Pick-Up Artist is much more in line with what I was expecting.

Why the fuck are the first 5 minutes of Kobe so boring.

I don't really understand that song. I'm hoping it's like a giant interlude or something, cause Pick Up Artist is fucking DOPE.

Gave it another listen today.  It has it's moments I really love.  Starts off a bit slow, but as you mentioned, that combo of "Monsieur" & "Zeitgeist" is real strong.  I like the overall contrast between the classic piano & ITTCT-esque ebow thing happening at times.  Definitely gravitate more towards the heavier parts.  I wish the production was a little stronger here.  I think the songs would pop a lot more if that was the case.  But again, I definitely dug it and will revisit more in the future.

Considered by many to be at the headwaters of the genre. Took me many a listen over a couple of years for things to click, something kept nagging at me to re-listen.

I think I actually prefer Disco Inferno's "D.I. Goes Pop" to "Hex". Great record though.

CASPIAN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!! Driving out from Albany to Rochester, taking a friend to see them for the first time. Can't fucking wait.

Anybody else hitting this show?

This is only funny to me because I've legit mentioned them at least three separate times (typically directed at Gumbo, what with his well-meaning infatuation with the wall-of-sound dynamic). :lol:

A Swarm Of The Sun is SO FUCKING GOOD!!!

Matt actually posted them back like 8 pages ago with his massive recommendation spew. I think it was Zenith that he suggested, I can't remember. But I listened to a ton of their stuff on their Bandcamp page, all of it I remember being very good.

They're kind of like Year of No Light in that I don't really know what to call them. It's just massive instrumental awesomeness. With a cool fucking name, too.

A Swarm Of The Sun is SO FUCKING GOOD!!!

Matt actually posted them back like 8 pages ago with his massive recommendation spew. I think it was Zenith that he suggested, I can't remember. But I listened to a ton of their stuff on their Bandcamp page, all of it I remember being very good.

They're kind of like Year of No Light in that I don't really know what to call them. It's just massive instrumental awesomeness. With a cool fucking name, too.

I suggested The Rifts.

HOLY SHIT CASPIAN SOUNDED PERFECT!!!... but I feel as though their fucking setlist could use some tweaking. Anyone else wish they would've moved fucking Fire Made Flesh to the middle of the set? That would've been so fucking epic, fuck.  They should have used the full band for Run Dry, as well, with an additional 15 minutes of just Phil jamming the acoustic guitar with special guest Brian Cook playing an improvised turbo bass line, while a Jakob song played over the loud speaker.

• jhulud locked this topic