Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Hey, have any of you guys heard of Degree of Arc? They popped up on my Youtube feed after a couple Astralia albums (!!!!!!! Astralia!!!!) and I was really blown away.

Check out the album "Hall of Hospitals" https://degreeofarc.bandcamp.com/album/halls-in-hospitals

Its nothing groundbreaking at all, but it's just SO solidly-written.

It adheres pretty much to the contemporary modern post-rock format like Joy Wants Eternity, Pray For Sound, This Will Destroy You, etc.

But it flows and works so very well.

http://www.cavernofantimatter.com/

Tim Gane has a new project, they have another album coming out soon. I didn't like the vocal track as much as the instrumental one on the soundcloud, but it's pretty good. Has a little bit of krautrock feel to it, so if you need a motorik fix this might do the trick

edit: wasn't feeling tardis cymbals at first but it really builds into this captivating piece, looks like it's going to be a triple lp. The website only links UK sellers, but according to my local store's website it will be around $25 for retail

I saw Bardo Pond wasn't on the first page, lots of feedback, noisy space rock, female vocals, sometimes flutes and/or violins. I prefer the matador period (amanita through dilate) to the newer or earliest stuff but even their last album "Peace On Venus" had some great moments. This has always been one of my favorite tracks of theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HY1ywAZ_wE

I saw Bardo Pond wasn't on the first page, lots of feedback, noisy space rock, female vocals, sometimes flutes and/or violins. I prefer the matador period (amanita through dilate) to the newer or earliest stuff but even their last album "Peace On Venus" had some great moments. This has always been one of my favorite tracks of theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HY1ywAZ_wE

I still want to track some of this down... after my Wolf Eyes obsession is sated maybe

I mean they're still awesome, but its like "this sounds like a track off Subsets... this sounds like a track off Cale:Drew...." etc etc.

Saturday, February 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM (PST) – Gumbo's realization of modern post-rock is achieved.  (It's basically all the same.)  Now that the cat is out of the bag, it may be time to explore the more adventurous niches of the genre.

Saturday, February 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM (PST) – Gumbo's realization of modern post-rock is achieved. (It's basically all the same.) Now that the cat is out of the bag, it may be time to explore the more adventurous niches of the genre.

Yeah, like post-post rock. I've been trying to tell him...

Russian Circles Enter 12" Milky Clear w/ Black Swirl Vinyl pressing (limited to 1,000) is available again if someone is interested:

http://hellomerch.com/products/enter-12-vinyl

also vinyl & t-shirt bundle is up again:

http://hellomerch.com/products/enter-vinyl-bundle

Vinyl is still available in the EU store also:

http://sargenthouse.awesomedistro.com/products/537188-russian-circles-enter-12-vinyl

So... this self-titled Astralia EP.... pretty much all these songs sound like somebody trying to re-write Jakob songs lol. I mean they're still awesome, but its like "this sounds like a track off Subsets... this sounds like a track off Cale:Drew...." etc etc.

Kinda funny. Anybody else ever notice this?

Actually yes, if not here, maybe it was on IG. But you know...

#1 for me it wasn't a lol, it was more like "this is no easy thing to do!" - and is the ONLY Jakob copycat I've ever heard (cf. ISIS, EiTS, GY!BE, etc and their innumerable flatterers...)

#2 I still love it anyways, and have posted at least 10 times on twitter, IG and FB for Aloud to press the dang thang, since they sold out Atlas (granted, only 100), which is a totally different direction. Good stuff, but I like the S/T better.

#3 It makes for a great Jakob 'fix' while they're recording new material. I follow Jason on IG and he posted a couple weeks ago that they have been recording / laid down some drum trackings. but that doesn't mean another 8 year wait haha. 2016 HAS to be the year for at least Cale:Drew and/or Subsets from TMS. Hope springs eternal.

Saturday, February 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM (PST) – Gumbo's realization of modern post-rock is achieved.  (It's basically all the same.)  Now that the cat is out of the bag, it may be time to explore the more adventurous niches of the genre.

lol this has never happened before with other bands. Yeah, so many bands use the same style and technique where you could say "this band kind of sounds like band X." And it can be hard to distinguish bands apart.

But in this case, Astralia has copied actual Jakob SONGS. I wish I knew more Jakob songs by name better, because I could pinpoint them more. Also, Jakob has a fairly unique and identifiable sound which is not "typical" post-rock; they've got that signature way of playing with the delay repeats on the guitar and the very low-tuned bass grooves.

lol this has never happened before with other bands. Yeah, so many bands use the same style and technique where you could say "this band kind of sounds like band X." And it can be hard to distinguish bands apart.

But in this case, Astralia has copied actual Jakob SONGS. I wish I knew more Jakob songs by name better, because I could pinpoint them more. Also, Jakob has a fairly unique and identifiable sound which is not "typical" post-rock; they've got that signature way of playing with the delay repeats on the guitar and the very low-tuned bass grooves.

I don't want to sound like a dick or get in an argument, but groovy bass and delay pedals are the bread and butter for most [enjoyable] post-rock for the last 6-8 years, if not longer.  I don't really follow the specific "waves" of the genre or whatever, but it's definitely a sound that a lot of bands have dialed in.  I do think Jakob does it better than most, but I wouldn't exactly call it atypical.  Personally speaking.

Speaking as a very amateur guitarist, I can't think of a single guitarist that sounds like Jeff Boyle's heavy atmospheric swells and valleys - his tunings are quite different, but he does use the pinky-on-the-volume-knob trick to silence the pick strike that I believe Adrian Belew perfected.

Now, the wah peddle, heavy distortion, riff-oriented sections, a la Subsets (which I happen to really like) are certainly nothing unique in and of themselves. If there are a lot of other postrock outfits using these effects..... vs indie or mainstream, I think I've missed them.

Juxtaposed, these two guitar elements hooked me from the first listen of Subsets, especially Ageena. The tribal drumming and fairly monotonous bass lines/chords on paper shouldn't amount to much, but to me Jakob are the epitome of synergy, true teamwork, where the whole/sum is greater than the individual parts added together. Must be something to do with the magic of songwriting.

They are definitely on my bucket list to experience live.

I've posted before, forgive me for posting again, an amateur youtube video of Pneumonic, which on the album is a good track...but the section from 2:08 - 3:25  (and almost ruined by the obligatory drunk a$$ in the crowd, except the only smile I've ever seen cross Jeff's face - priceless) is simply phenomenal and blows away the studio version. Half of the 1,600 youtube views of this video are mine ;) 

https://youtu.be/Z_if-nAvE60

I don't want to sound like a dick or get in an argument, but groovy bass and delay pedals are the bread and butter for most [enjoyable] post-rock for the last 6-8 years, if not longer. I don't really follow the specific "waves" of the genre or whatever, but it's definitely a sound that a lot of bands have dialed in. I do think Jakob does it better than most, but I wouldn't exactly call it atypical. Personally speaking.

I disagree with you about Jakob being atypical only in the sense that there really aren't other bands that sound like them, aside from Astralia.

You are right about the delay pedal thing, however Jakob's guitar player has a distinct way of incorporating the repeats into the riff's rhythm, much in the same way that The Edge and David Gilmour use the dotted-8th note repeat rhythm to such iconic use in songs like "The Streets Have No Name" and "Another Brick In The Wall Pt 1." or "Run Like Hell".

All post-rock bands use delay pedals, but not all use them as a rhythmic tool in this way, was what I was getting at.

Actually yes, if not here, maybe it was on IG. But you know...

#1 for me it wasn't a lol, it was more like "this is no easy thing to do!" - and is the ONLY Jakob copycat I've ever heard (cf. ISIS, EiTS, GY!BE, etc and their innumerable flatterers...)

#2 I still love it anyways, and have posted at least 10 times on twitter, IG and FB for Aloud to press the dang thang, since they sold out Atlas (granted, only 100), which is a totally different direction. Good stuff, but I like the S/T better.

#3 It makes for a great Jakob 'fix' while they're recording new material. I follow Jason on IG and he posted a couple weeks ago that they have been recording / laid down some drum trackings. but that doesn't mean another 8 year wait haha. 2016 HAS to be the year for at least Cale:Drew and/or Subsets from TMS. Hope springs eternal.

Yeah you're so right, it doesn't dampen the enjoyment at all. However, the first 2 tracks off of their s/t release do pretty much exactly copy "Controle" and one other song that I can't remember the name of. The 2nd track on S/T Astralia uses basically the same drum beat as a Jakob track off Cale or Subsets. But yeah, its crazy because this is not an easy sound to really replicate. Especially with only 3 members, like Jakob.

ALSO, they said they were touring with some repressed back catalog right now. how in the hell do we still not know whether this is Solace or not?!

EDIT:

Track 2 of the Astralia S/T EP is basically a slow-down version of "I'm On Your Side" by Jakob. heh

Au Revoir - Veles

from New Jersey

https://aurevoirit.bandcamp.com

PO is up and will ship on or around March 31, 2016

vinyl is only $17 ppd and i think that first track shows some great promise.

Gave it a listen.  Didn't grab ahold of me unfortunately.

There is a massive sampler up on post-engineering's bandcamp https://post-engineering.bandcamp.com

Over 5 hours of stuff.  I got 3 songs into it and had to stop and check out more by A Swarm of the Sun.  Search function isn't working at the moment so I couldn't check to see if they were mentioned.

It's got that loud, dark, Kokomo-esque wall of sound thing happening, but has some piano/organ or something going on it it.  With minimal vocals as well, but it definitely caught my ear.  Give this song a listen...

A Swarm of the Sun - Infants

New Bossk album is up for pre order. It is members of Cult of Luna, Baroness, and Yndi Halda.

Post metal / sludge. Really, really good.

dw187v-bundle01.bossk.audionoir.allthree

Pressing Info:

/300 Blob

/700 Lime

/1000 Purple

$14

// Listen to new song here: https://bosskband.bandcamp.com/album/audio-noir

// 'Pick Up Artist' from their 7" on DW: https://bosskband.bandcamp.com/track/pick-up-artist

// Pre order new album here: http://store.deathwishinc.com/category/BOSSK.html

Over 5 hours of stuff.  I got 3 songs into it and had to stop and check out more by A Swarm of the Sun.  Search function isn't working at the moment so I couldn't check to see if they were mentioned.

It's got that loud, dark, Kokomo-esque wall of sound thing happening, but has some piano/organ or something going on it it.  With minimal vocals as well, but it definitely caught my ear.  Give this song a listen...

A Swarm of the Sun - Infants

This is only funny to me because I've legit mentioned them at least three separate times (typically directed at Gumbo, what with his well-meaning infatuation with the wall-of-sound dynamic). :lol:

This is only funny to me because I've legit mentioned them at least three separate times (typically directed at Gumbo, what with his well-meaning infatuation with the wall-of-sound dynamic). :lol:

Haha sorry dude! I tried using the ol' reliable search function & it didn't work at all. This just goes to show I need to do a better job checking out all the recs. This is a good one! Nice piano stuff mixed in as well!

• jhulud locked this topic