Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I've noticed some post-rock records don't sound all that spectacular on vinyl. Caspian's "The Four Trees" being one of them. However, my copy of YATC sounds fucking INCREDIBLE.

Another absolutely pristine press is Baulta - "Any Fool Can Regret Yesterday".

if you guys aren't familiar with this album, fucking make yourself.

Also, tickets purchased for Cult of Luna and PG.Lost in Gothenburg and Copenhagen!!!! May 12th in Gothenburg and then the Colossal Weekend fest in Copenhagen with Russian Circles, Pelican, This Will Destroy You, Cult of Luna, PG.Lost, and more! Fuck yeah!!!

As always, I'm going to preface this with "sorry if this band has been mentioned already", but I did a search & only saw them briefly mentioned in other threads.

Strawberry Girls

My brother told me to check them out yesterday & oddly enough they are live streaming an Audiotree Session right now. Really damn good. Has a more groove-oriented ASIWYFA sound. Very math-heavy.

I guess one of the guys was previously in Dance Gavin Dance (who I know nothing about).

But I'm really enjoying what I'm hearing so far.

Http://www.strawberrygirls.bandcamp.com

!!!!!!!

DUDE you guys, you HAVE to check out this song!!!!

https://degreeofarc.bandcamp.com/track/can-you-see-the-horizon

It's from Degree of Arc's first release, "Circles" and it's the final track. Oh man, that was incredible! The drums and the tempo just really get your spirit energy juiced and revved up, almost in a Caspian-like way. Really well done, please check that track out. It doesn't sound like Caspian at all, but the energy and movement within the song makes me think of them.

That was really good! I need to check more stuff out by those guys.

A journey of a song:

FFO: Silent Whale Becomes a Dream, Spurv

EDIT:

!!!!!!!

DUDE you guys, you HAVE to check out this song!!!!

It's from Degree of Arc's first release, "Circles" and it's the final track. Oh man, that was incredible! The drums and the tempo just really get your spirit energy juiced and revved up, almost in a Caspian-like way. Really well done, please check that track out. It doesn't sound like Caspian at all, but the energy and movement within the song makes me think of them.

Checked it out, and, yeah, that was a pretty nice song. Uplifting and powerful, yes. "Spirit energy"? Ehh...

Checked it out, and, yeah, that was a pretty nice song. Uplifting and powerful, yes. "Spirit energy"? Ehh...

Isn't it awesome? It's the perfect build. And yes, spirit energy! Haha, I guess that's my way of saying it actually makes you FEEL uplifted. It makes me feel excited and !!!!!! inside. Not all post-rock does that. Lots of post-rock I love for aesthetic purposes, because I love the sound of melodic and reverb/delay-soaked guitars, etc, but the music doesn't always make me freak out inside and want to bust out dance moves.

Malacoda gets me moving pretty good, though :P

I hope you guys all also check this Degree of Arc song out!

4 copies of Shy Low's Binary Opposition left. Half clear / half white.

http://spartanrecords.limitedrun.com/products/514657-shy-low-binary-opposition

Seeing them in a couple weeks for the first time. I used to take promos of these guys when they used to be a metalcore band. Haha.

Great fucking record. My only gripe is that if you have it turned up loud and are close to your speakers, you can hear when the needle crosses onto the white. It makes a noise when it's on the white. Very interesting.

Also, fuck you for getting to see "Presence" before me! :D :D :D

Going to do a bunch of their shows in May/June when I have time between jobs. I can't wait. Saudade and Nostos and Heavy Hands and Presence and oh my god I'm going to lose it.

DEADHORSE!!!!

Wow dude! I saw someone post about these guys on Facebook last night and was like "Oh yeah, that band everyone talks about on VC...." Holy shit, this music is fucking amazing!

We Can Create Our Own World is absolutely awesome. You guys wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of this album, would you?

DEADHORSE!!!!

Wow dude! I saw someone post about these guys on Facebook last night and was like "Oh yeah, that band everyone talks about on VC...." Holy shit, this music is fucking amazing!

We Can Create Our Own World is absolutely awesome. You guys wouldn't happen to know where I can find a copy of this album, would you?

set your discogs alerts cause it's OOP, I got mine from an awesome user here <3

DEADHORSE!!!!

I was late to the Deadhorse party as well.  That album is damn fine.  

I've really been into that kind of standard, but heavier spectrum of post-rock lately.  Thus my love for Unconditional Arms.

Anyone in the market for any of these?  I'm thinking of unloading a few things, and figured I'd give you guys the heads up first.

Definitely will unload...

Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (180g black)

Caspian - Tertia (2nd press, white, /200)

Pray For Sound - Dreamer (purple, /150)

Not entirely sure yet...

Athletics - Stop Torturing Yourself 10" lathe #'d 19/43

Gifts From Enola - A Healthy Fear (yellow w/ navy blue haze, /100)

DEADHORSE!!!!

Gumby, we don't need to hear about every single post rock back you listen to, ya know? It's cool you found them and dig them, but come the fuck on, man. Every other day it's "DUUUUUUUUDDDEEEEE!", [insert well known post rock band here] followed by a thousand exclamation points. We've clearly talked about Deadhorse as multiple people had them in their top 10 list that we did a while back, which you were apart of.

If you're looking for the record and want to ask, that's fine, but coming in every other day hyped on bands we all talk about frequently is getting a little old, dude. If you find stuff that isn't mentioned, please, mention it. We all would love to listen and talk about it. But seeing posts like:

"IF THESE TREES COULD TALK!!!!!! HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS!!!!!"

"OMGGGGG I LISTENED TO GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT TODAY, AND I FEEL LIKE I'M IN SPACE!!!!!"

"EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY ARE MAKING ME SEE STARS, GUYS!!!!"

"DUDESSSSSSSSS. THIS EF BAND IS SO EFFING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!"

"GIANTS IS ONE GIANT MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!"

The irony of you listing Deadhorse is that you're beating a dead post rock horse.

Get it together, Gumby.

Also, you know the regular channels about finding records by now, yeah? I see you post stuff on Discogs all the time. We don't need a play by play by every record you look for, man. It gets a little old. I don't need the transcript to your browsrer history. [shudder.] But if you do a little searching you'll see that it's been sought after, and I know first hand that people in this thread have sold that record to other people in this thread. Maybe use that as a lead and PM some people. You can always google something and see if it's floating around or make a WTB thread. If you do a little more digging you'll even see that we talked about Deadhorse with a member of the band who has been the boards here for a long while. Maybe PM him and see what's up. Come on, dude. I know you can work a computer. Get to getting.

Here are some reminders:

They were mentioned by Omik:

Alright, here are our locks:

4sbdhw.jpg

Now, we need two tie-breaker rounds - one for 10th place, one for 11-15th place:

First, we need to decide which Russian Circles album is 10th. The nominees are Enter, Geneva, and Empros.

Next, we need to pick five albums from the following ten:

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt

Pelican - Australasia

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Daturah - Reverie

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot...

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World

So I'm gonna say whoever submitted their top 15 lists get to vote on these last few. Just post with your picks and we'll get this thing onto the design department ASAP.

I mentioned them:

My votes for the remaining:

Year of No Light - Ausserwelt (1)

Pelican - Australasia (5)

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright (3)

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss

Daturah - Reverie

Shy, Low - Hiraeth

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot... (2)

Moving Mountains - Foreword

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (4)

As far as RS goes, my favorite is Station which seems to not be a common opinion. So I don't know if I'll be any of help with that. I really need to listen to more of them along with God, Daturah, and Yndi. If I had to pick a second favorite RS album it would Geneva (but please don't weigh my opinion as heavily as the others, cause Station is my go to.)

Also, I'm surprised how much traction Shy, Low is getting how young it is. Not that they don't deserve it, the album is fantastic. Just surprising since we are doing a top list and have a lot of amazing, older stuff to consider; very interesting.

I even fucking suggested it to you, dude.

You would love Deadhorse, and I highly suggest YoNL's entire catalog. Some albums have vocals, some instrumental, all fantastic. Nord is my personal favorite.

They were suggested to you AGAIN.

You'll love Deadhorse and they did an EP a couple years ago that only made it to CD. I envy you getting to (re)discover them. Also surprised that CK didn't get more love, for the amount of quality and variety output Ben has released over many years, and not just one album. Evpatoria Report's two albums are legendary - and still need vinyl - and yet only got a mention or two // I had to sacrifice them and Daturah off of my original 15 as well. 

They were brought up again.

I think I very casually listened to Deadhorse previously, but need to revisit.  I've definitely listened to YoNL, and liked it, just one of those bands that slip my mind and I forget to go back to.

Also, I'm depressed at the lack of Cloudkicker love.  Thought for sure Beacons would get some more run.  I think that's the one snub that really should find a home in an "essentials" list.

Mentioned again in voting when you only chose 4 albums.

Also, since Gumbo very conveniently picked four albums (plus an implied fifth) from the tiebreak list on his original 15, the Guide is set!

33tmqm0.jpg

Tiebreak: Geneva 7, Enter 4

Year of No Light – Ausserwelt (7)

Pelican – Australasia (5)

Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind (8)

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright (10)

Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss (4)

Daturah Reverie (6)

Shy, LowHiraeth (4)

Toe - A Book About My Idle Plot... (3)

Moving MountainsForeword (4)

Deadhorse - We Can Create Our Own World (7)

(Anyone interested in seeing how the whole matrix played out can check it here.)

Here it is making the top 15:

cWFpRTW.png

Did my own little mock up of the list page referencing Charlie's on his IG. 

West following up:

Finally gave that Deadhorse album a proper listen. No qualms at all about that making the top 15. Sure, it's a familiar sound, but it's executed extremely well. Lots of different feels going on there. Need to try & grab a copy of that somehow!

I like it and it's done well. But it's repeating everything that has been done before again and again. And I could name you 50 PR-records that are more essential (IMO) ;):P

Here are some links:

// You could have toured with them, Gumby, but you were too busy filling in your exclamation point quota: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/92243-want-to-be-in-deadhorse-looking-for-new-touring-members/

[Hmm, that might give you a hint as to who the member of the band is on here...]

// The pre order thead: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/85887-deadhorse-vinylcd-bundle-lp-on-sale-w-2013-5-new-song-demo/

// The store front: http://deadhorse.storenvy.com/collections/3585-all-products

// People selling: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/85486-fs-deadhorse-we-can-create-our-own-world-25-fest-press/

// More people selling: http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/84696-wtb-deadhorse-we-can-create-our-own-world/

// Sheath talks w. Brian himself: http://www.mylenesheath.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=11005&sid=d0b94ce4280ac22c4ded157454620aa4

// https://www.discogs.com/master/stats/316947#collection

// https://deadhorse.bandcamp.com/album/we-can-create-our-own-world

// http://brokencircles.limitedrun.com/products/6550-deadhorse-we-can-create-our-own-world-vinyl-lp

Here is your rule of thumb:

If it's in the OP, you can calm the fuck down when posting about it.

• jhulud locked this topic