Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

I never think to! It's easier to outsource this stuff to you guys.

Plus, I was getting worried. Nobody was posting! 4 freaking days!

But you're totally right, when I get excited about something new for me that I've just discovered, everything else falls away! Who needs critical thinking when there's another band with reverb guitars and string orchestration doing slow, anthemic builds?!

I did a group buy for SWBAD and the owner at Arbouse Recordings was really friendly and gave us a great shipping deal. iirc Deafening was interested but was going through a rough time, and I got a spare copy but it was snapped up.  I had the CD in My Want section over at discogs and PM'ed me if interested in the vinyl, and that's how I found out about it. 

Great to see it's on discogs as I think he has a  tonne of copies still. One song per side, and the pressing quality is very good.

Ships from France - I'm not sure of the mailer for singles but the 4 or 5 copies I got were in great shape. Heavyweight, nice jacket.

It really is quite interesting how Gumbo and I have similar ears haha

If you already have a copy, you might want to just hold on to that one. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, or the press, but it sounds terrible. Tons of surface noise, even after a nice cleaning.

If you already have a copy, you might want to just hold on to that one. I'm not sure if it's just my copy, or the press, but it sounds terrible. Tons of surface noise, even after a nice cleaning.

I had a bronze white swirl and sold it cause i never listened to it. I guess there's my answer to myself. Haha.

I love the sound of my 1st press translucent red, but I wasn't that impressed with the black/clear swirl. It sounded "flat" in a way. Hard to explain, but the dynamics didn't seem as great as on my red. It's weird how things like that happen.

Either way, this is sick, and I'm glad the band let me buy one after I got out of work! i just emailed them, and they were like "yeah buddy!"

Anybody listen to the new Show Me A Dinosaur yet? Heavy at times. Kind of like a more post-rocky Hope Drone.

http://showmeadinosaur.bandcamp.com/

Really, really good. Coming from someone who wasn't all that into Rust.

I started listening to that recently & actually had the complete opposite thought. I really dug Dust but halfway through this new one I wasn't feeling it at all. I will definitely need to revisit.

Anyone check out that Obsidian Kingdom? I've been very slowly getting more & more into it. Total left turn from Mantis but sounds like a real evolution for the band. Really hoping my vinyl shows up this week. Was emailing back & forth with a dude from the band & he said the album was mixed specifically for it to be heard on vinyl.

Anybody listen to the new Show Me A Dinosaur yet? Heavy at times. Kind of like a more post-rocky Hope Drone.

http://showmeadinosaur.bandcamp.com/

Really, really good. Coming from someone who wasn't all that into Rust.

I'm just hearing Deafheaven, really. It's black metal, reimagined Satyricon and Dark Funeral stuff.

The cover art makes me think of Pasiflora by Constants, and album I've just disovered and gotten pretty attached to.

I don't know how many of you are green-friendly here (ahem) but tonight I treated myself, and threw on Hiraeth by Shy, Low after hanging out with my buddy.

Wowwwwwwwww duuude. The arrangement on that record still continues to astound me; what incredible song-writers they are.

They've got the "bass drop" riff thing down that Isis had so well, where the riff kind of peaks or climaxes onto one specific low note (think middle section of Ghost Key by Isis, and Saudade by Shy, Low with that bridge section towards the end of the song).

This Dinosaur stuff is pretty good though. I dig it.

Just posted over in the Red Forest thread because it got me thinking about some of my other post rock records I own.

My current setup is not very kind to my Post Rock collection. When I started collecting a couple of years ago, I had an Audio Technica turntable and I couldn't tell the difference and thought things sounded great. Now, I have a better setup, but it doesn't seem to bring out the best of post rock. It could be because I have really gone heavy into collecting records from the 60's-70's of rock, prog, kraut, jazz that sound absolutely fantastic on vinyl...but, I digress.

I feel much of my post rock sounds dull on vinyl in comparison. It's not a matter of "noise" and quiet pressings. I find the dynamics, tone, openness of the music to be mostly disappointing. Love the bands and music, but I have a hard time distinguishing better sonics on vinyl with many of these recordings. Some sound like digital ports and some sound even better digitally than the vinyl pressing.

I guess my question isn't some dumbass "does anyone else feel this way?" But rather, if you are satisfied with the sound of your post rock collection on vinyl, what is your setup or what tweaks have you done to be able to maximize your enjoyment in really making the recording come alive?

Just posted over in the Red Forest thread because it got me thinking about some of my other post rock records I own.

My current setup is not very kind to my Post Rock collection. When I started collecting a couple of years ago, I had an Audio Technica turntable and I couldn't tell the difference and thought things sounded great. Now, I have a better setup, but it doesn't seem to bring out the best of post rock. It could be because I have really gone heavy into collecting records from the 60's-70's of rock, prog, kraut, jazz that sound absolutely fantastic on vinyl...but, I digress.

I feel much of my post rock sounds dull on vinyl in comparison. It's not a matter of "noise" and quiet pressings. I find the dynamics, tone, openness of the music to be mostly disappointing. Love the bands and music, but I have a hard time distinguishing better sonics on vinyl with many of these recordings. Some sound like digital ports and some sound even better digitally than the vinyl pressing.

I guess my question isn't some dumbass "does anyone else feel this way?" But rather, if you are satisfied with the sound of your post rock collection on vinyl, what is your setup or what tweaks have you done to be able to maximize your enjoyment in really making the recording come alive?

I can't speak to this since my setup is very basic, and I am no audiophile, but could this be more related to the production of the album itself? Being that post-rock bands are obviously dealing with a much smaller budget than bigger names, maybe that has more to do with it?

Caspian is one of those bands that for as good as they are, their records don't sound all that great. But even digitally, the production sounds slightly muddied, despite still being great.

Cloudkicker though, handled everything himself, including mixing the album, so he was able to perfect it. So naturally his albums sound flawless on vinyl.

Are there other contemporary genres that you find the pressings to be overall better? I think it's just an era thing... records from the 60's-80's consistently sound better to me as well, regardless of genre.

There are a couple of current reissue labels that I think sound absolutely fantastic. Stuff I own that was pressed at RTI typically sounds great. Fuzz Club is a label that I've had nothing but terrific sound from. I know that 60's - 80's typically are just better quality pressings and sound better across many genres.

Has anyone had experience with different cartridges or phono stages that really bring out the best in many of the current recordings? I guess that's what I'm most interested in. How can I maximize the recording with tweaks to my system based on others experience that they are happy with. Just gives me some ideas to try or research.

• jhulud locked this topic