Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Any of you guys have the clear with black/silver haze version of "Dead Sinking Story" by Envy?  Considering pulling the trigger on a copy via Discogs.... but I'm curious as to whether the haze issue with grit also applies to clear records?  I've just never had a clear/haze record. 

I'll probably go with the TRL black remaster copy from their store because I have a coupon, but I just wanted to see what you guys had to say first!

Just now, Gumbo72203 said:

Any of you guys have the clear with black/silver haze version of "Dead Sinking Story" by Envy?  Considering pulling the trigger on a copy via Discogs.... but I'm curious as to whether the haze issue with grit also applies to clear records?  I've just never had a clear/haze record. 

I'll probably go with the TRL black remaster copy from their store because I have a coupon, but I just wanted to see what you guys had to say first!

It happens to any haze record, color does not matter.

12 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

It happens to any haze record, color does not matter.

Indeed.  I figured, but I wanted to ask you guys first before I did anything.  I can get those Envy records new for $16 with my code....  which is a sick deal, but they're black.  And black is boring to me lol. 

I'm also not sure that the copy of Dead Sinking Story comes with the cover I want, although I know that the clear with black/silver haze does.  I like the one with the city and the birds with the silver sky.  Not the uniform gray cover. 

6 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Indeed.  I figured, but I wanted to ask you guys first before I did anything.  I can get those Envy records new for $16 with my code....  which is a sick deal, but they're black.  And black is boring to me lol. 

I'm also not sure that the copy of Dead Sinking Story comes with the cover I want, although I know that the clear with black/silver haze does.  I like the one with the city and the birds with the silver sky.  Not the uniform gray cover. 

The question is would you rather look at records, or listen to records...

8 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

The question is would you rather look at records, or listen to records...

I like watching them while I listen to them. 

I can't be the only one!  The /100 version of Show Me A Dinosaur will give you visual hallucinations if you stare at it while it spins....  you look at it for like a minute, and then look away, and whatever you look at does a swirl.  It's super crazy haha

so... you guys should check this out.  It's a live set from Trna.  They're a blackgaze band from Russia... this stuff is fantastic.  Elusive Sound just signed them and will be putting out some vinyl soon. 

12:00-15:00 of this video is absolute pure post-rock glory, in my opinion.  THIS is why I listen to this genre.  Soaring, celestial stuff... could you imagine being in that room, with that music? 

Edited by Gumbo72203

23 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

I have the clear w/ haze "A Dead Sinking Story" and, after a deep cleaning, my copy sounds great, only minor pops and clicks here and there.  

6 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Gumbo equates music to going to outer space.

Kind of!  haha

That segment of music though... oh man, so good.  The studio version is great too.  It's like a big, sweeping squall of melodic drama.  Waves of meloncholy, breezes of despair, all punctuated with this odd sense of joyous uplift. 

Also, in other news......  "Wavering Radiant" repress coming next week, with another hoody design.  15338611_1204902642891231_30634700948369

^^ Will be ordering that clear/yellow splatter Wavering Radiant immediately upon posting tomorrow.

So, I listened to Caspian's 'Tertia' last night for the very first time - with all the love for the album in this thread, I purposely avoided listening to it until I owned in on vinyl.  That day came with Mylene Sheath's 50% off Cyber Monday sale, and my black/gold split copy arrived yesterday.  Blown away by the music... but probably the worst sounding album I've heard.  There was an audible difference when the wax spun from the gold half to the black side, with the black side almost 'hissing' until it reached gold wax again.  So now, I want a much better sounding copy of Tertia.  @Dave Grohl - maybe you can help recommend me an option or two?

Another subject - has anyone who ordered Pelican - Live at Dunk! from A Thousand Arms received theirs yet?  

Lastly, I'm hunting for a copy of the Pelican/Mono Split - preferably a Hydra Head version, but would be interested in any version, if anyone in the thread has one they don't need!

4 hours ago, coreystevens88 said:

Another subject - has anyone who ordered Pelican - Live at Dunk! from A Thousand Arms received theirs yet?  

Hey coreystevens88,

Pelican vinyl is on its way over from Belgium.  No definite arrival date.  Hoping it's this or the following week.  We will get copies shipped out as soon as we can.  

6 hours ago, coreystevens88 said:

^^ Will be ordering that clear/yellow splatter Wavering Radiant immediately upon posting tomorrow.

So, I listened to Caspian's 'Tertia' last night for the very first time - with all the love for the album in this thread, I purposely avoided listening to it until I owned in on vinyl.  That day came with Mylene Sheath's 50% off Cyber Monday sale, and my black/gold split copy arrived yesterday.  Blown away by the music... but probably the worst sounding album I've heard.  There was an audible difference when the wax spun from the gold half to the black side, with the black side almost 'hissing' until it reached gold wax again.  So now, I want a much better sounding copy of Tertia.  @Dave Grohl - maybe you can help recommend me an option or two?

Lastly, I'm hunting for a copy of the Pelican/Mono Split - preferably a Hydra Head version, but would be interested in any version, if anyone in the thread has one they don't need!

I have the 4th press black I'd let go for cheaper than thru the Sheath & Discogs if you wanted it.

10 hours ago, coreystevens88 said:

7 hours ago, Eliminator Jr. said:

@coreystevens88 I'm nowhere near as competent as Matt in giving sound advice on this subject matter (who is, really), but I've heard nothing but good things about last years black 4th press and also own a copy myself that's treating me very well.  

3 hours ago, mrewest said:

I have the 4th press black I'd let go for cheaper than thru the Sheath & Discogs if you wanted it.

Corey, first of all, congrats on losing your virginity. I know it takes some of us longer than others, but damn, man, that took a minute. Either way, it's a huge milestone in your life, and I'm stoked for you. Did you climax at the drum circle in Sycamore? We all do; don't worry. As far as the best pressings, my listening copy is the black 180g 1st pressing /100. It's hard to come by, but honestly the black 4th pressing /600 is almost as good the 180g, and the second best overall. @Eliminator Jr. is right, as always, and I've never heard / seen anyone complain about the most recent pressing. It's 150g, and sounds very, very good. If I didn't collect Caspian, I wouldn't have bought the split because of those unfortunate sound issues with them (splits in general). I am however surprised it's on the black half though. Have you given that sucker a good cleaning? Sometimes it takes a few times for that noise to go away. Splits can have that, white is inferior, haze is a nightmare, splatter can have bumps cause of uneven beads, etc. etc. In general, I always go with a heavyweight black if available. If not I go a solid color, even if it isn't the prettiest, cause I'm sound over all (but that's coming from a guy who likes listening over looking at records - haha). I would definitely take @mrewest up on his offer of a cheaper black copy. I only have to say 'why the fuck are you selling it, you better have another copy, Evan'. But yeah, that black 4th press will serve you good for a long time to come. I actually spun it a few days ago. Sounding fresh as the day I got it. I'm pretty sure @The Butcha can back me up on that. Pretty sure @Thomas³ has a black as well. (T, if you don't have a copy I'm going to kick you.)

If you ever have any Caspian questions, feel free to ask. I'm glad to tell you my opinion. Keep in mind there can be various results through out the pressings, so ask multiple people. I can only compare my specific #/# to the other specific variants I own. Everyone in here is more than happy to add their opinion, especially since we all love Caspian.

Edited by Dave Grohl

20 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Corey, first of all, congrats on losing your virginity. I know it takes some of us longer than others, but damn, man, that took a minute. Either way, it's a huge milestone in your life, and I'm stoked for you. Did you climax at the drum circle in Sycamore? We all do; don't worry. As far as the best pressings, my listening copy is the black 180g 1st pressing /100. It's hard to come by, but honestly the black 4th pressing /600 is almost as good the 180g, and the second best overall. @Eliminator Jr. is right, as always, and I've never heard / seen anyone complain about the most recent pressing. It's 150g, and sounds very, very good. If I didn't collect Caspian, I wouldn't have bought the split because of those unfortunate sound issues with them (splits in general). I am however surprised it's on the black half though. Have you given that sucker a good cleaning? Sometimes it takes a few times for that noise to go away. Splits can have that, white is inferior, haze is a nightmare, splatter can have bumps cause of uneven beads, etc. etc. In general, I always go with a heavyweight black if available. If not I go a solid color, even if it isn't the prettiest, cause I'm sound over all (but that's coming from a guy who likes listening over looking at records - haha). I would definitely take @mrewest up on his offer of a cheaper black copy. I only have to say 'why the fuck are you selling it, you better have another copy, Evan'. But yeah, that black 4th press will serve you good for a long time to come. I actually spun it a few days ago. Sounding fresh as the day I got it. I'm pretty sure @The Butcha can back me up on that. Pretty sure @Thomas³ has a black as well. (T, if you don't have a copy I'm going to kick you.)

If you ever have any Caspian questions, feel free to ask. I'm glad to tell you my opinion. Keep in mind there can be various results through out the pressings, so ask multiple people. I can only compare my specific #/# to the other specific variants I own. Everyone in here is more than happy to add their opinion, especially since we all love Caspian.

My half black/gold really doesn't sound too bad. I think I'd say my first press maroon might sound the best. Followed by the bloody splatter. Then the black/gold sounds just about as good as my 2nd press gold.

• jhulud locked this topic