Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

1 hour ago, Derek™ said:

Did you know that Stockholm Syndrome was directly named after 4 hostages of a bank robbery in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1973?

I know Stockholm Syndrome, but I don't think I knew it was related to a bank robbery.  Are you just saying familiarity breeds contentment?  Regardless, I like how Malacoda sounds, but if they want to re-do the rest of the album haha then fine.  Some of the peak-ier parts are a little muddy, but I always attributed that to choice of overdrive pedals.  The toms in Sycamore I suppose could be more airy; that ending doesn't breathe nearly as well as it does live. 

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

Mastering it to be louder, is the biggest cause of poor DR.

What's interesting to me is that some records i have, like my yellow/swirl Wavering Radiant, are SUPER loud, while other records are very, very quiet.  But the Isis stuff always sounds incredible. 

The new Pray For Sound I wish had a little bit better mastering because the dynamic range is TOO wide, at least for me.  The quiet songs are too quiet, and that lets some surface noise make it through into my speakers because I have to turn it up a little bit, and then when the main tunes kick in it's really fucking loud. 

Jesus this thread has really sucked the fun out of discussing all things post-whatever related.

Used to love reading the posts in here.  Used to be the one thread that felt more like a tight-knit community as opposed to constant bickering & sarcasm & long-winded bullshit repeated in 16 posts.

I miss those days.

Edited by mrewest

@mrewest: so you mean pre-Gumbo days?  You can go ahead and say it.  No need to beat around the bush.

I don't really have a problem with Gumbo as a person – probably not someone I could handle "IRL", though I wish him no harm – but I've got to admit that his online persona can be a little exhausting.  Sometimes it's entertaining to see someone get so giddy over babby's first crescendo album, but most days I feel like I'm wading through posts riddled with hyperbole that are pitching random Bandcamp groups or recommendations that Charlie and Don made two years ago.

Perhaps more tiring than that, though, is the adamant debating.  I appreciate that he's never rude about it, and that petty name-calling or insulting of tastes are never brought to the table, but holy shit – the guy cannot let stuff go.

"Okay, I see why you feel that way, but..."

"I get where you're coming from, however..."

"Well, that's fine, but for me..."

On everything.  Ever.

But Derek; isn't that the point of discussions?  To form individual opinions and share them?  The thread would be boring if we all just circle jerked the same albums with the same opinions right?

Don't start with that.  This thread has been and can be more than just Caspian praise: contrasting opinions are fun, but please accept when it's time to stop beating a dead horse.  "That's cool, I can respect where you're coming from."  And change the subject or contribute something (preferably other than a Bandcamp link that's simply EITS with a bit of distortion).  That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Derek™

Right.  A million percent right.

I hate post-rock that's long, drawn out, repetitive & goes nowhere.  SAME THING WITH FORUM POSTING.

Goddamit Gumbo, I know you like Malacoda.  We all know you like Malacoda. Never mention it again.  Even if you see it live.  For the love of God.

13 different posts since February about Malacoda FYI, just in this thread.  I just checked.

Edited by mrewest

Sometimes I feel like I was put on earth to test people's acceptance of others who behave differently.  It's odd.  I just want to talk about the things I love with others who also love them.  It's an endless river...  I can geek out on what I love without exhaustion, and I don't know why.   One of my main working theories is regarding my past and how one or two little different very small things going slightly differently would have meant that I am not here at all to talk about these things at all.  The car crash I was in, having my throat sliced open during hockey practice in high school (have we ever talked about this?), other poor habits I used to have when I was young and fucking stupid...  

I think this is why I'm not afraid to let my emotions pour through when I listen to Dreamhouse, for instance.  Because it's beautiful, to be here, and we're all so lucky to still be able to experience and take in these things. 

4 hours ago, Freki said:

Honestly surprised if Tertia reaches DR6.

Here's another reference graph I came across the other day:

DR-Infographic-500x416.jpg

I was hanging with my best friend when you posted this. We talked about it in great detail. Also, Dire Straits have some of the best sounding albums ever. They are so consistently good. If you are really into music, you're usually a big Dire Straits fan. Born In The USA is a fantastic album through and through, as well as Public Enemy's It Takes A Nation of Millions being one of the best sounding hip hop albums along side License To Ill. Bob Dylan's Slow Train Coming will probably forever be my favorite reference album of all time. So glad I picked up a copy of it recently for $5 in the wild finally. I wish post rock would get the treatment it deserved and was mastered better. I'm really curious what Tertia is going to sound like at anything above a 11 or 12. Oh, man, it would like being how they are live. Fingers crossed. It's funny when you ask people about reference albums cause it really depends on which era you are talking about.

20 minutes ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Blocking the opinions of those you don't like just creates an echo chamber where your views are never challenged.  Not really healthy for mental stimulation or debate, IMO

I knew this was going to be a response to that so I read it.

It's not your opinions I care to block, it's all the idiotic hyperbole and repeated posts.

Opinions are whatever, people are welcome to them...it's the way you express yours that annoys me.

There are other ways of showing excitement than typing in all caps and using 500 exclamation points. It's also ok to disagree with people without repeating 12 times that you disagree.

You also don't need to write IMO. You said it. We know it's your opinion.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

23 hours ago, drds89 said:

I was a little peeved there's no mention of Our Smallest Adventures, but that's more of a personal gripe. There's several here I have not yet heard that'll provide a good soundtrack to the close of 2016.

23 hours ago, Derek™ said:

1479.gif

Derek, PLEASE for the sake of thread morale, start diving into your cache of GIFs again. I remember years back you always would pull out the most timely responses. We need a taste of the glory days.

Everyone else has echoed my sentiments so let's just understand we're all here for the same reason.  We want to discuss the genre, but within reason.  Put your thoughts out there & then move on.

How about this?  "Hey I think you guys should check out this band.  They sound like _____ & _____.  Good stuff."

And if someone checks them out & shares their thoughts, great!  If not, move on.  

When anything gets oversaturated, it's instant eye roll material.  I worry about mentioning something 2-3 times, let alone THIRTEEN in a matter of a year.

Also, we all feel bad about the shit you've gone through but I think we all agree we come here to escape real life bullshit.  I'm sure a lot of people here have gone through some serious shit, but we're here to find common ground on some music.  Using life's shittiness as an excuse to annoy literally everyone kind of sucks.  It's like you're trying to give us a guilt trip.  

Just chill out & if that's not how you want to handle things, maybe there's another forum out there more suited for you.  I know if people constantly told me I was annoying as fuck I'd tone it down.  And if my ranting is annoying, let me know & I'll shut the hell up!  But I miss how this thread used to be!

Edited by mrewest

10 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

Derek, PLEASE for the sake of thread morale, start diving into your cache of GIFs again. I remember years back you always would pull out the most timely responses. We need a taste of the glory days.

I wish I had a cache of GIFs.  If words can't quite convey what I'd like, I typically just Google a GIF that hasn't been overused on the forums and then hope for the best.  I'll see what I can do though – there are many instances where I roll my eyes or bite my tongue and try to take the higher road to avoid jabs or bickering, and I think that's why I haven't really been opting for that route.  I guess it all depends on how feisty I'm feeling.

As to what you've said, @mrewest, I've got to agree.  (And no, I wouldn't say you're being annoying or ranting.)  This thread has been a bit of a sanctum for the niche VC group who enjoys their post-genres, simply because instrumental music receives some reception on this board that wavers between lukewarm, on a good day, and basically nonexistent on the bad ones.  Nobody wants to make a thread and see the same 2 or 3 people chime in once, and that's a big part of why this thread is so great.

I didn't even spot the Malacoda Effect until you pointed it out.  That's pretty hilarious.  With any due respect, a lot of Gumbo's posts feel redundant to me... and I guess they occasionally go in one ear and out the other.  So the blatant love for Malacoda, or the pitches for Show Me A Dinosaur – it feels as though I read over those things in other threads, and then again - sometimes multiple times - and it's just such a buzzkill.

I don't know if you legitimately have a personality disorder, Gumbo, or if it's just the way you carry yourself online... but I often wonder.  It's a big part of the reason I don't even bother with half of the posts in this thread as of late, and another reason I tread carefully when it comes to giving you flack.  I joke about your overzealousness for all things tremolo stemming from blunt trauma at shows, but in reality if you really do struggle or have struggled with some sort of disability, that's not something I'd be comfortable ridiculing you for.  That being said... it's perfectly cool to be "high on life" and to have opinions that don't mesh with everyone else.  But I guess it all boils down to how you voice that.  I enjoy reading positive opinions on records I find lackluster, and also trying to wrap my head around negative outlooks on albums I think are fantastic... but what I don't enjoy is seeing wall after all of text that essentially translate into "well you're right and here's why I think I'm right:".  I could handle that once – one concrete, defensive post per opinion – but I don't need literal pages of one person challenging everyone who disagrees that Tertia shouldn't be remastered, that Caspian shouldn't be a jam band, and that ISIS shouldn't reform to tour.  I just don't.

1 minute ago, thebilljim said:

Hey, so I haven't posted on VC in like 6 months, so will y'all murder me if I just pop in here real quick to say that the new Russian Circles record is stupid fucking good? I'm sure y'all already talked about that record a while ago, but I'm still drooling over it.

You, my friend, are in the right place. I thought it was their best since Geneva. Certainly top ten for the year.

14 minutes ago, thebilljim said:

Hey, so I haven't posted on VC in like 6 months, so will y'all murder me if I just pop in here real quick to say that the new Russian Circles record is stupid fucking good? I'm sure y'all already talked about that record a while ago, but I'm still drooling over it.

Same.  It actually made the top slot of a user-generated "best post-rock of 2016" list, on the last page.

9 minutes ago, omik11303 said:

You, my friend, are in the right place. I thought it was their best since Geneva. Certainly top ten for the year.

Empros is a fucking doozy and usually my answer to inquiries of "what's your favorite Russian Circles record?"  But there's no denying that it blows Memorial out of the water.  I think it was just a week or two ago that Matt and I randomly brought up Guidance and how good it is / how well it's held up over the months.

My post-rock tastes differ slightly from some of you guys and for reasons I can't necessarily put into words, but Russian Circles just don't do it for me. The new album was pretty good, but nothing I'd go out and buy on vinyl. I think the only thing I own from them is the split 12" they did These Arms Are Snakes because I grabbed it at a TAAS show. It's not that I think they're bad, they just don't tickle that little something down deep for me. I revisit some of their stuff every 3-6 months just to see if it's clicked, but it hasn't yet.

It took subsequent Conan records a long time to click for me though after I loved their first album, so there's still hope.

That said, not sure if any of you would enjoy Conan, but they're a band worth checking out. Not really post-anything, just real slow, kind of droney metal.

I want @Derek™ to just speak for me in life haha.  Always so perfectly expanding on my thoughts.

Anyways, enough of bringing down this thread.

That Russian Circles is definitely one of my favs of the year.  It's second in line  behind Geneva for me.

My ONLY complaint is that Calla & Lisboa at the end, although amazing songs in their own right, totally sound like part of a different album.  Asa ---> Overboard flows together so perfectly, and then it feels like it takes a left turn followed by another left turn.  But again, it's a weird dynamic because those last two songs are great.  Lisboa sounds like a Geneva b-side.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

The new album was pretty good, but nothing I'd go out and buy on vinyl.

I mean, if they don't do it for you, that's cool because tastes are subjective, but for what it's worth, Guidance might be one of the most perfectly sequenced albums I've heard on vinyl. Both sides work as complete clauses that hold up entirely well on their own, but also the A-side is REALLY well reinforced by the B-side.

I think this new record just sounds more menacing than their previous work. Memorial was nasty and heavy as hell, but Guidance sounds like it'll take you out behind the barn & beat the hell out of you without even getting winded.

Just now, thebilljim said:

I mean, if they don't do it for you, that's cool because tastes are subjective, but for what it's worth, Guidance might be one of the most perfectly sequenced albums I've heard on vinyl. Both sides work as complete clauses that hold up entirely well on their own, but also the A-side is REALLY well reinforced by the B-side.

I think this new record just sounds more menacing than their previous work. Memorial was nasty and heavy as hell, but Guidance sounds like it'll take you out behind the barn & beat the hell out of you without even getting winded.

Next time I revisit them I'll hit Guidance and see what it does for me. I remember being younger and actually enjoying one of their albums...probably somewhere between 2005 and 2007?

Thought I'd pipe in since it's fitting: if anyone wants a sealed, untouched copy of Guidance on the clear w/black splatter vinyl, I'll sell it for, like, cost plus shipping? Or a trade, or anything, tbh. I haven't opened it because the digital still hasn't done enough for me to feel warranted buying it... I feel a little silly that I did. It's just not my thing, someone else would appreciate it more.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:00 PM, Derek™ said:

On the subject of lists, the lady forwarded this list to me the other day – and pointed out that some of the comments were quick to point out a lack of Caspian – but I thought it was an interesting read.  I feel like it's a little more favorable of late 90 and early 00 acts, but still good stuff.

I didn't even know 20 of the 50 groups on that list - seems like the goal was nailing the proto/ seminal / early influence bands and their albums. Lots of homework for a rainy day!

• jhulud locked this topic