PO: Foxing - The Albatross

Got mine today and just spun it. I assume it's the same as earlier pressings sound-wise, but man is it great. Crisp and clear and as little surface noise as I've ever heard. Here's a couple pics for funzies.

r4icwHVl.jpegFiXA4NOl.jpg

Also, I was researching the albatross as a metaphor and found this:

The word albatross is sometimes used metaphorically to mean a psychological burden that feels like a curse.

It is an allusion to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798). In the poem, an albatross starts to follow a ship — being followed by an albatross was generally considered an omen of good luck. However, the titular mariner shoots the albatross with a crossbow, which is regarded as an act that will curse the ship (which indeed suffers terrible mishaps). Even when they are too thirsty to speak, the ship's crew let the mariner know through their glances that they blame his action for the curse. He feels as though the albatross is metaphorically hung around his neck - that is, when people look at him, they see him as the albatross killer and that weighs on him. Thus the albatross can be both an omen of good or bad luck, as well as a metaphor for a burden to be carried as penance.

"But when the tide came in there was nothing left, but an albatross hanging from my neck."  :D

• 5 months later...

I can't believe this album is reaching it's 3 year anniversary this year. Anyway, I picked up another copy of this cause the variant was gorgeous and one of the best-matching artwork wise imo. They also announced yet ~another~ press yesterday (clear w/ red splatter) which puts this thing at like 10-ish presses already? sheesh. anywho, here's the milky clear w/ bone color in color:

343hrh0.jpg

• 7 years later...

New ten year anniversary version - one standard mostly of cool bands covering the original and a deluxe with the original and cover record. Pressing info at the Foxing site. Torn personally as this sounds cool but not sure I’d ever spin it and not sure I need a third copy of this record after the OP and remastered versions. Maybe I’ll try for a tour copy at the Foxing/Hotelier show. 

https://foxingtheband.bandcamp.com/album/the-albatross-ten-years-2

https://www.foxingtheband.com