Don't touch my records. Ever.

A few years ago I had just moved into a new neighborhood and struck up a conversation at a local bar with this dude and his girlfriend.  They seemed cool so I invited them over for a bit to chill.  At one point dude got up and started pulling records off my shelves acting like he owned the place.  I quickly told him he had 2 options:  (1) Quit going through my records and simmer down or (2) Walk out the same door he walked in.  Gotta respect the vinyl yo.

I'm curious to know how anal everyone here is about visitors looking at their records.

fortunately/unfortunately for me, most people that visit my place don't really have an appreciation for records. i really would be happy if they wanted to take a look so i can geek out over them for once, but i would hate it if they just started pulling things off the shelves, willy-nilly.

i keep mine organized starting with my favorite band and then fall down the line, but each band section has the releases in chronological order (original street date, not vinyl release date). seems to be working fine for me so far since i only have 200 or so pieces.

With all the money that I'm sure most of us put in to collection, you'd hope guests would appreciate your belongings. Most of my friends come over and leave my collection looking like a disaster zone. Also, one of my friends, who also collects records, insists on touching the record itself while switching, and he switches after like one song everytime. I have about 20 records with finger prints just from last weekend.  :angry: I finally asked him to just leave the record on and let me do the switching.

With all the money that I'm sure most of us put in to collection, you'd hope guests would appreciate your belongings. Most of my friends come over and leave my collection looking like a disaster zone. Also, one of my friends, who also collects records, insists on touching the record itself while switching, and he switches after like one song everytime. I have about 20 records with finger prints just from last weekend.  :angry: I finally asked him to just leave the record on and let me do the switching.

Invite him to start posting here. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about how to properly hold records from him.  ;)

Whenever my friends stop by, they usually just look at the titles on the spines, and if they see one they want to see or put on, almost all of them ask me to do it, unless they know how to do it right. It's actually kind of weird, but I'm not complaining at all.

Invite him to start posting here. I'm sure we'd all love to hear about how to properly hold records from him.  ;)

Whenever my friends stop by, they usually just look at the titles on the spines, and if they see one they want to see or put on, almost all of them ask me to do it, unless they know how to do it right. It's actually kind of weird, but I'm not complaining at all.

That's nice of them haha. My friends that collect aren't as proper with their records... the same dudes that leave it looking like a mess are the dudes leave theirs out on the table, not even in their sleeves, at parties. (EWWWW shit). My non-record collection friends are more respectful. 

Anyways. You seem to have solid friends, Sirnonsense.

I'm curious to see how many people here actually divide their collection by genre

I currently have 5 shelves:

1. gatefolds, 2xLPs, 3xLPs, boxsets (sorted alphabetically, apart from boxstes, which are on far right)

2. single LPs (sorted alphabetically by band, chronologically by album)

3. larger artist collections and soundtracks (first collections, then OSTs, all alphabetically)

4. old beat up records (sorted by last listened from left to right)

5. 7"s (sorted from favourite to least favourite artist, right to left)

I'm curious to know how anal everyone here is about visitors looking at their records.

I don't think I've ever had anyone over that would even care enough to ask about records, let alone look through them. People are weird.