My guinea pig died tonight

Our guinea pig died tonight and I'm super bummed about it.

First of all, let me start off by saying I turn 28 next week and I've been fortunate enough to not having to cope with death at an age to really grasp how to deal with it. Any family members that have passed away or past pets all went before I was probably 9 or 10 years old.

I know it is just a guinea pig but the wave of emotions/sadness I felt tonight really makes me wonder how I'm going to deal with a family member or somebody close to me dying and it scares the fuck out of me.

I'm not throwing a pity party for myself but this whole thing just made me think of a lot of things.

Shit night :(

When my cat got ran over by a car, the next day I had my mom bring over the cat I gave to my kids when they were living with her the very next day. I couldn't handle the grieving part of the whole thing. I do agree that you should get another one. It will help you cope with things better. Each person is different, but for me it did. So sorry for your loss.

are you getting another one?  you should!  I know it sounds shitty but getting a new pet helps you get over your old one.  Consider it as giving a new pet a new life with a good owner.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss. It's amazing how attached we become to the little guys.

Only thing I'd add to the above, if you go that route....get two. I was young when I had one, and didn't know they are the social type.

"Guinea pigs are social animals who prefer to live in small groups. If you keep two or more females together, they will become great friends. If you want two males, it’s smart to choose two babies from the same litter. Since guinea pigs, like all rodents, multiply rapidly, keeping males and females together is not recommended."

It might be too soon. :-/

I lost my cat, who was pretty much my shadow, over the summer. Now that it's cold in my apartment, it's hitting me all over again, because I'm so used to him scooting his way under the blanket and curling under my arm to stay warm.

I grew up in a military family. I didn't know my extended family that well, and wasn't really attached to anybody coming up, until I was already in my teens. It seems weird, but I was 11 when my grandfather died, and I was just sort of like, "huh. That's interesting." So bottom line, I'm kind of dead inside.

The worst thing that happened in my entire life was as a teen. I was dating the girl I eventually married, and her mom was killed with a bunch of people in a horrible industrial accident. It was the first time I ever lost someone and I didn't even know her that well.

Sometimes I just feel ill-equipped. But I think most people kind of are. Nothing you can say or do really helps.

I feel your pain. Had a rabbit for 5 years (actually I bought him for my wife, then girlfriend). He ended up getting all messed up & eventually basically had a seizure & died :( I still feel guilty about it feeling like I was too neglectful which led to his demise.

We have 2 dogs now & I always tell them they are living until at least 35. I don't know how I could get over losing either one.

I have been around death (grandparents, aunt, friend) but I have yet to lose someone I'm SUPER close with (parents, siblings, close friends, non-caged animal pet) & one of my greatest fears in life is how I might handle such a situation.

Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your pet & I hope you can find comfort in something. & I agree with the notion u should get another pet. Go adopt something!

When my cat got ran over by a car, the next day I had my mom bring over the cat I gave to my kids when they were living with her the very next day. I couldn't handle the grieving part of the whole thing. I do agree that you should get another one. It will help you cope with things better. Each person is different, but for me it did. So sorry for your loss.

This is the exact reason I could never let my cats be outdoor kitties... If I were you I would have done everything in my power to find out who ran over my cat, and I would totally run over their body from toes to head back and forth until they were dead. But I'm also the kind of person that claims I would be more butt hurt about seeing a dead cat in the middle of the road over seeing a dead homeless makin the middle of the road. Animals are selfless devoted creatures that don't know any better...

I'm sorry for your loss bro, I really hope it was something you kinda saw coming and wasn't something tragic. I have a really hard time coping with tragic losses. However, when it's something that was inevitable or bound to happen, I find myself weirdly okay with the passing. Like the feeling of "they're in a better place now" even though I don't believe in any form of religion.

Sorry to hear. Losing a pet sucks.

On a slightly related note, my girlfriend's mum was telling me about the pet rabbit she had when she was a kid. One night they had a casserole & salad, and she collected the leftover lettuce afterwards. Her mum asked "what are you doing with that?" and she said "giving it to Fluffy." To which her mum replied, "You just ate Fluffy". I felt super bad for laughing.

This is why I walk around telling my pets to, "go **** themselves," and too, "suck a fart out of my ass." You can't get too attached, you gotta put that emotional barrier up.

The dog (Mae) knows I love her because I feed her everyday and pet her while I grill (which is constantly), but I keep the relationship casual by telling her that her breath smells like a body bag made out of diarrhea covered chicken skins that (fat) Elvis vomited a bunch of prescription pills onto. We have an understanding.

This is the exact reason I could never let my cats be outdoor kitties... If I were you I would have done everything in my power to find out who ran over my cat, and I would totally run over their body from toes to head back and forth until they were dead. But I'm also the kind of person that claims I would be more butt hurt about seeing a dead cat in the middle of the road over seeing a dead homeless makin the middle of the road. Animals are selfless devoted creatures that don't know any better...

I'm sorry for your loss bro, I really hope it was something you kinda saw coming and wasn't something tragic. I have a really hard time coping with tragic losses. However, when it's something that was inevitable or bound to happen, I find myself weirdly okay with the passing. Like the feeling of "they're in a better place now" even though I don't believe in any form of religion.

We kind of saw it coming. He just seemed out of it the last week or so and all day yesterday he just laid down and wouldn't move. He was breathing really slowly and I could just tell that he wasn't going to last that much longer.

This is why I walk around telling my pets to, "go **** themselves," and too, "suck a fart out of my ass." You can't get too attached, you gotta put that emotional barrier up.

The dog (Mae) knows I love her because I feed her everyday and pet her while I grill (which is constantly), but I keep the relationship casual by telling her that her breath smells like a body bag made out of diarrhea covered chicken skins that (fat) Elvis vomited a bunch of prescription pills onto. We have an understanding.

Haha I needed a good laugh and that provided it.

That must be some bad breath dude!

That cat would not be quiet. I got him fixed hoping that would solve the problem. He just wouldn't stop meowing unless I let him out. I was so mad at him because he wouldn't let me sleep that I let him out. Luckily, my older cat has never meowed, she just doesn't. My kitten just escaped that once, and she doesn't seem to have the desire to go out anymore. We keep a very close eye on her now. I couldn't imagine going through that again.