Where Can I Get Accurate Values For My Vinyl?

VLangs

this thread was irritating as all hell to read. you were bound to get lit up by the regulars but i'm sorry someone nice didn't come rescue your ass sooner and just give you a normal answer.

i prefer collector's frenzy to popsike just because CF seems to update more frequently and is more comprehensive.

I'm not even much of a seller. I just wanted to know if they're worth stuff so I can put them in plastic jackets or not!

wut?

Put the ones you like the most and want to keep in top condition in jackets. They are yours afterall, so if you don't plan on selling them, the value someone else puts on it is pretty irrelevant.

wut?

Put the ones you like the most and want to keep in top condition in jackets. They are yours afterall, so if you don't plan on selling them, the value someone else puts on it is pretty irrelevant.

Yep. If you like them that's all that should matter to keep them in good shape. I mean think about what these records cost and how rare some can be. Then consider how cheap those plastic sleeves are. To me it's a no brainier protect your music and investment.

Side-note: His response of wanting to know prices so he could put them in sleeves is not how I read the og post at all it seemed like what he wanted to know was the prices to know whether or not he should either keep them or sell them. Because he said:

hey y'all so I'm trying to rate out all my old vinyl and see if there's any worth here or if I should just hold on to it all

Meaning if he had some big money items he wanted to cash in. Maybe he sensed the hate and decided to change his tone or maybe I read it wrong.

To help him out. I'd say just check around in some of the threads around VC's buy/sell/trade section those are indications of some fair prices (usually), check ebay (listing that actually have bids - not the buy it now option), popsike, etc...

Yep. If you like them that's all that should matter to keep them in good shape. I mean think about what these records cost and how rare some can be. Then consider how cheap those plastic sleeves are. To me it's a no brainier protect your music and investment.

Side-note: His response of wanting to know prices so he could put them in sleeves is not how I read the og post at all it seemed like what he wanted to know was the prices to know whether or not he should either keep them or sell them. Because he said:

hey y'all so I'm trying to rate out all my old vinyl and see if there's any worth here or if I should just hold on to it all

Meaning if he had some big money items he wanted to cash in. Maybe he sensed the hate and decided to change his tone or maybe I read it wrong.

To help him out. I'd say just check around in some of the threads around VC's buy/sell/trade section those are indications of some fair prices (usually), check ebay (listing that actually have bids - not the buy it now option), popsike, etc...

I keep them in good condition as it is by virtue of them sitting on a shelf and just collecting dust, but like I mentioned everything I bought, I bought new and used and enjoyed when I was in that phase of music and instead of dumping them at a record shop or something I just kept them because I like owning things.

But if there was some obscene value to certain ones, I'd be silly not to at least consider selling them. I don't see how that's an issue, people buy and sell stuff all the time. The value to me is the memories of when I was younger and them sitting on my shelf, if other people assign a higher monetary value than that that I could use to fulfill other hobbies I fail to see how that's an issue.

hey y'all so I'm trying to rate out all my old vinyl and see if there's any worth here or if I should just hold on to it all but I'm having a hard time getting an accurate value for my stuff. My friend told me that 808s is a rare vinyl, was actually unaware of that until like a month ago which is what started this hunt, so it got me thinking what else could be worth some value. It's your typical grew up in the 90s/00s vinyl stuff I was big on it in high school/college/grad school.

I'm not going to post a huge list or anything, but here's some of the things that I can gather are rarer, maybe one of you can help me out? Most of it is punk/rock from the early/mid 2000s

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends (Victory Records, Gold)

Taking Back Sunday - Where You Want To Be (Victory Records, Green, Yellow, yes I have two lol)

Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave (Fueled By Ramen, Camo colored)

Fall Out Boy - From Under The Cork Tree (Fueled By Ramen, Black)

Fob - Infinity on High (Picture disc, ugh)

Fob - Folie A Deux (orange and red)

Fob - Save Rock and Roll

Panic - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (black)

Paramore - All We Know is Falling (Green)

Paramore - Riot! (White)

Panic - Pretty. Odd. (big box set with a puzzle)

Panic - That Green Gentleman 7in

Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon (Iodine/Number 5)

Atreyu - Lead Anchord Paper Sails

Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory (Big Brother)

Jay Z - Vol. 2 Hard Knock Life (Roc A Fella)

Enter The Wu-Tang

The Beatles - Abbey Road (apple)

Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request (Mono, London Records)

And lastly I have this big billy joel box set that has 6 vinyl in it (Maxwell House Coffee and JC Penny Present: "The Piano Man" Billy Joel, REMN Records). I can't find a thing on this album, I'm assuming it was a compilation sold at JC Penny some holiday season but who knows

Thanks for any help guys!

Not perfect but might give you an idea

http://collectorsfrenzy.com/

http://www.popsike.com/

I think if you start a topic with a question that is answered on, literally, the first page of New to Vinyl FAQ you are gonna catch some shit. 

That said, maybe that topic title is misleading. Would something like "Vinyl Collective FAQ (Read Before Your First Post)" be a little clearer? You could theoretically not be new to vinyl but still not know some of the answers. 

This is a great way to get an initial ballpark for prices.

Discogs, that's what I did when I catalogued mine for the insurance man, took bloody weeks and I still have the twitch.

It did scare the bejezus out of me to find out how much it was all worth though and there were quite a few surprises value wise in both directions.

Although the wife disagrees that I am now a genius at speculating on the future value of my records because of all the crap I have bought on a whim that is worth bugger all and that is doesn't justify the amount I am still spending on records, personally I think she's completely hatstand and refuse to listen.