Best Of The Year Lists 2013

Alright, I finally put my Top 10 Albums list together. Some of it isn't exactly accessible to the average VC user, but hey, it's my damn list.  ;)

1. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety

2. Dance Gavin Dance - Acceptance Speech

3. Machinedrum - Vapor City

4. Shugo Tokumaru - In Focus?

5. Glasser - Interiors

6. Dane Chadwick - Cool Intentions

7. ECOVIRTUAL - VIRTUAL大気中分析

8. Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus Seven

9. Disclosure - Settle

10. Arctic Monkeys - AM

Honorable Mention:

Washed Out - Paracosm

Touché Amoré - Is Survived By

DJ Rashad - Double Cup

Kelela - Cut 4 Me

in no order

twiap - whenever if 

fat history month - bad history month 

pachangacha - weirdhead

glocca morra - summer vacay split

a great big pile of leaves - yaomm

lvl up - extra worlds

SIRS _ SIRS 2013

pity sex _ feast of love

1994! - fuck it

their theyre there - s/t

dads - pretty good

caravels - lacuna

the reptilian - low health

tera melos - x'ed out

slow warm death - s/t

porches. - slow dance in the cosmos

whirr - around

nai harvest - whatever

lord snow - solitude

snuffaluffagus - port of the galaxy

swift intruders - the sky readings

whoarei - nothing

duck little bro duck - no spitting on cats during plague time

death grips - government plates

adventures - clear my head with u

calculator - this will come to pass

feliz año amigos  y amigas

there's still a bunch of records i didn't give enough attention to, but here's my last swing at this thing:

Best of 2013

Full Lengths:

1. I Not Dance - Thought Leader - holyfuckingshit the riffs, the creativity. fuuuuck. This one was by far and away my favorite release of the year. And i think more people would have jumped on this if they didn't have such a stupid band name...

2. Centuries - Taedium Vitae - everything i want in a hardcore record. one more song to make it a smidge longer and it would’ve been godamn perfect.

3. Deathrite - Into Extinction - no idea why anyone would listen to Black Breath when they could be listening to this. Ultra heavy, super catchy.

4. Hierophant - Great Mother : Holy Monster - one of the heaviest records of the year. this record could make me forget about HHIG (ok not really but still). one of my most played HC records of the year.

5. Mammoth Grinder - Underworlds - much more catchy than Extinction, and much, MUCH better than the Hatred Surge and Impalers records.

6. Rosetta - The Anaesthete - nothing new for them, but it’s still what i always want from them. they can do no wrong.

7. Deafheaven - Sunbather - can’t believe the topped RtJ, but they did. Take out the interludes and I’d like it a whooole lot more. although this record is not as good as it’s hyped up to be.

8. Children of God - We Set Fire To The Sky - one of the most creative bands in HC right now. very honest and unique sound

9. Jungbluth - Part Ache - leaps and bounds better than their demo EP. love the riffs and the ferocity of the vocals. makes the demise of Alpinist much easier to bear.

10. Castevet - Obsian - this one was a grower just like their last one, and rewards with every listen. not quite what i wanted it to be, it’s not quite as dark as Mounds of Ash, but still a goddamn fantastic record.

11. Ruined Families - Blank Language

12. Year of No Light - Tocsin

13. Holy - The Age of Collapse

14. Jackals - No Solution

15. Vaura - The Missing

16. Dead in the Dirt - The Blind Hole

17. Coke Bust - Confined

18. Hoax LP

19. Cloud Rat - Moshka

20. Power Trip - Manifest Decimation

Seven Sisters of Sleep - Opium Morals & Cult of Luna - Vertikal started strong in the year but had no staying power for me.

EP’s & Splits:

1. (tie) Hollowed Tongue - Godsnakes  

1. (tie) Of Feather and Bone - False Healer

1. (tie) Severe - The Gutter Sessions

all three of these are dirty, heavy, mean, and catchy as hell. not just some of my favs of the year, but of the last few years.

4. Heartless - Certain Death - sadly, their final release, but they went out with a huge bang.

5. Moral Void - Vol I

6. Young and in the Way / Moral Void Split

7. False Light - s/t (since the physical version of this was finally released this year, i’m throwing it on here)

8. Skinfather - Succession / Possession

9. Young and in the Way / Withdrawal - split

10. Vaccine / No Faith split - great way for Vaccine to go out. great, insanely pissed off split

11. LIES - 3 song Cassette

12. Hoax - Caged / Sick Punk

13. Rotten Sound - Species at War

14. Vaccine - Dead Inside

15. ARRM - Sand / Blackwater

Biggest Disappointments: (Not necessarily bad - just disappointing)

Society Nurse LP - EP was awesome, and this just felt like a Walls B-side LP.

Iron Lung - White Glove Test - for some reason this record just feels flat to me. The best songs on it are the Brutal Supremacy tracks that aren’t new.

Hatred Surge - Human Overdose - not a bad record, but probably the most boring HS material ever. especially when the Mammoth Grinder record came out two months later and DESTROYED it.

Terra Tenebrosa - The Purging - a couple tracks have the quality to be on the last record, because, well, they sound exactly the same. the rest is either boring or just meandering noise. I’d dare to say the whole record sounds pretentious, which is especially weird for a record with a faux Slipknot cover.

Favorite Soundtracks

M83 - Oblivion

Year of No Light - Vampyr

Best Records From 2012 That I Didn’t Discover Until 2013:

Black Mask - s/t EP

Ayr - Nothing Left to Give

BLCKWVS - 0150

"It sounds like Tom DeLonge covering Against Me! songs written by Max Bemis, and either that description gives you a raging hard-on, or it’ll make you keep scrolling. Your call"

Greatest description of the Front Bottoms ever haha

Great list by the way! 

So my list has changed drastically over the year. These are the first ten that come to mind, but I know there are more GREAT albums that I would put on this list that slip my mind. This is no order whatsoever:

Twenty One Pilots - Vessel

Comadre - S/T

Captain We're Sinking - The Future Is Cancelled (I feel like this album is insanely overlooked)

Haim - Days Are Gone

The 1975 - S/T

The Bronx - IV

FIDLAR - S/T

Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork

Dessa - Parts of Speech

Direct Hit! - Brainless God

Edit:

Arctic Monkeys - AM

letlive. - The Blackest Beautiful

A Wilhelm Scream - Partycrasher

Listener - Time is a Machine

Obits - Bed & Bugs

Red City Radio - Titles

Alcoa - Bone & Marrow

Drug Church - Paul Walker

Here's my personal list.

And if you want to explore a bunch of other people with wildly different musical tastes, here are lists of eight other people. Hopefully you'll find stuff you like!

Bravo on Moving Mountains #1. That album was great the first time I heard it. By about the 10th listen it became probably top 3 of the last 3 years. Incredible album. And I still find it getting better with each listen.

Bravo on Moving Mountains #1. That album was great the first time I heard it. By about the 10th listen it became probably top 3 of the last 3 years. Incredible album. And I still find it getting better with each listen.

Pretty much my thought. Assuming you read my blurbs, therefore you know I couldn't stand waves. Way too much thrice worship for me. Love, love, love the direction they went in on this one.

Pretty much my thought. Assuming you read my blurbs, therefore you know I couldn't stand waves. Way too much thrice worship for me. Love, love, love the direction they went in on this one.

Yeah I did read the blurb. I actually loved Waves & didn't mind the Thrice influence. I thought they kinda put their own spin on the TAITA/Vheissu sound, which I really liked. I was pretty leery about the scaled back approach with the new album, but Mov Mou crushed it & like you said, made it "their own" sound.