VC's definitive list of albums, A- Z (VOTING CLOSED)

brandy

so <40 people have voted? sounds pretty definitive to me.

To be fair, I think it was made clear from the first page of this topic that it wouldn't exactly "take off", or generate too much interest in the community as a whole.  You want "definitive" for the forums?  Advertise this topic at the top of every page with a banner.  Make the voting more streamlined.  Require a vote to unlock posting abilities every 48 hours.

That being said, I think this is a fun and interesting topic.  Definitive or not, I'm eager to see where it'll go and who will contribute.  And furthermore, how are we gauging definitive?  Couldn't we just pull up sale numbers, radio success, number of singles, etc.?  Surely, that would gauge just how definitive the album's impact is.  Do we look at the release date, and determine which albums "define" future generations of music?  That seems plausible to me.

This first round was a perfect example of how I expect the thread to flow.  (Or rather, what I'll be contributing to it.)  I'd be a fool to argue that Abbey Road isn't a landmark record.  But for me?  I probably couldn't care less if I were to ever hear it again.  I respect the Beatles for what they accomplished, but I don't really find enjoyment in their music.  So for me, Abbey Road is pretty low on the totem pole of what I consider "legendary" Letter A records.  But this just goes back to the above paragraph -- what are we basing the "definitive" factor on?  For simplicity's sake, I would assume it's personal taste.  And the majority of the votes in this thread would suggest that.  The fact that the thread is "open" to personal votes would indeed imply that the board - or specifically, the select portion of the board that is participating - is defining our favorite records.  It's a small pool at the moment, sure, but I think it works.

Love your enthusiasm, Derek. And also, good pick!

I think I'm committing to this thing, even if it's just three or four of us contributing.

Also.  Are members allowed to vote for albums already posted, regardless of the day?  Like if someone didn't see this until Wednesday night, when the letter C rolls out... could they cast a vote for "nominations" for A and B?  It goes without saying that they wouldn't get to nominate their own record if they missed the 48 hour window, but over time it could be interesting to see how the votes shift things around.

And the results for round A:

5:

American Football - American Football

3:

Abbey Road - The Beatles

2:

Axe To Fall - Converge

Apathy And Exhaustion - The Lawrence Arms

Ancient Melodies Of The Future - Built To Spill

Alligator - The National

1:

The Artist In The Ambulance - Thrice: 

Alien Lanes - Guided By Voices

Aenima - Tool:

And The Refinement Of The Decline - Stars Of The Lid:

Absolution - Muse:

Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses

All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion - Fireworks

Absurd-Ditties - Toy Dolls

Automatic For The People - R.E.M.

The Alchemy Index - Thrice

All the Memories, All at Once - Sunlight Ascending

American Slang - The Gaslight Anthem

Absolutes - Barcelona

Asymmetry - Karnivool

Aquemini - Outkast

Amputechture - The Mars Volta

Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire

...And Out Come The Wolves - Rancid

August And Everything After - Counting Crows

Album of the Year - The Good Life

As the Roots Undo - Circle Takes The Square

And the winner for Round A, the self-titled album by American Football!

Like someone earlier suggested, it would be cool if a voter would want to contribute a review for this album!

I think I'm committing to this thing, even if it's just three or four of us contributing.

Also.  Are members allowed to vote for albums already posted, regardless of the day?  Like if someone didn't see this until Wednesday night, when the letter C rolls out... could they cast a vote for "nominations" for A and B?  It goes without saying that they wouldn't get to nominate their own record if they missed the 48 hour window, but over time it could be interesting to see how the votes shift things around.

Well, thank you. And regarding this, like Dreamover mentioned, there's a pretty small portion of the community contributing currently. I did not plan to allow voters to nominate after the voting slots are over. But if this would make the voting more 'definitive', I'm all for it.

Well, thank you. And regarding this, like Dreamover mentioned, there's a pretty small portion of the community contributing currently. I did not plan to allow voters to nominate after the voting slots are over. But if this would make the voting more 'definitive', I'm all for it.

It certainly would, I think, but the only downside is that it'd be more work on your end to tally the votes and update them dynamically.  It's just food for thought, honestly.  I think the thread will work either way.

It certainly would, I think, but the only downside is that it'd be more work on your end to tally the votes and update them dynamically.  It's just food for thought, honestly.  I think the thread will work either way.

Yea, I think this could work. After all, time is all I have....

Despite what my avatar might suggest, By The Way is probably my favourite Red Hot Chili Peppers album so I'll have to go for it.

red-hot-chili-peppers-by-the-way.jpg

I sway between By The Way and Blood Sugar Sex Magik as my favourite RHCP album, but more often than not, it is By The Way. This is one of my favourite albums of all time. John Frusciante comes from another planet!