Game of Thrones: Season 4 (NO SPOILERS BOOK-READERS!)

I watched it right before bed last night, my power went out so the AC turned off and I was all hot and couldn't sleep. All I could think about was how disturbing that was. You could genuinely see the pain in his face. Good acting, unless that was mechanical... Still good. I thought that mason guy face thing from Hannibal was messed up until I saw this happen. Almost as bad as seeing a real death. I've seen lots of horror movies but that still wasnt cool.

Same...still haven't seen it either.

Same, fuck that.

I watched it right before bed last night, my power went out so the AC turned off and I was all hot and couldn't sleep. All I could think about was how disturbing that was. You could genuinely see the pain in his face. Good acting, unless that was mechanical... Still good. I thought that mason guy face thing from Hannibal was messed up until I saw this happen. Almost as bad as seeing a real death. I've seen lots of horror movies but that still wasnt cool.

I agree, it seemed so real, his scream and the pain in his face. Honestly Im not a big horror guy anyways, but i can usually handle myself.

That was some next level shit for me.

So, I've been going over this in my head, and I think the reason it fucked ME up so badly is because he was arguably the most likable character this show has ever had. He had legitimate reasons for revenge, I don't remember him ever doing anything "wrong" (by GOT standards), and he was fucking funny - then you watch him die, in what to me was the most brutal death I've ever seen. From the teeth smashing, to the eye popping, to the HEAD POPPING, to his lover screaming in terror - that whole scene fucked up my Christmas. Hell, even what The Mountain was saying... it was like "HAHA I'M A MURDERER AND A RAPIST AND NOW I'M GOING TO FUCKING POP YOUR HEAD." Ugh. I'm completely shattered.

So, I've been going over this in my head, and I think the reason it fucked ME up so badly is because he was arguably the most likable character this show has ever had. He had legitimate reasons for revenge, I don't remember him ever doing anything "wrong" (by GOT standards), and he was fucking funny - then you watch him die, in what to me was the most brutal death I've ever seen. From the teeth smashing, to the eye popping, to the HEAD POPPING, to his lover screaming in terror - that whole scene fucked up my Christmas. Hell, even what The Mountain was saying... it was like "HAHA I'M A MURDERER AND A RAPIST AND NOW I'M GOING TO FUCKING POP YOUR HEAD." Ugh. I'm completely shattered.

To add to that, their is no one to be mad at for his death. It was his own arrogance. That makes it tough.

To add to that, their is no one to be mad at for his death. It was his own arrogance. That makes it tough.

I don't see it as arrogance.

He's been stewing for years over the death of his sister and her children. He's been plotting revenge on The Mountain in his head every single minute of every single day for years and years.

When he finally has that chance and that revenge scenario takes over he just wants it to play out the way he'd been imagining all those years. To make The Mountain admit what he did and who gave the order. There was no other scenario. Yes he could have finished the fight, but to do so before he got his confession wouldn've been a lost fight regardless.

I think had it been arrogance he would've just finished off the fight when he had him down with some little flourish and shown off to the crowd, how easily he had defeated this monster.

Instead, he needed the words. And he got them.

Instead, he needed the words. And he got them.

This actually made me happy for him. He got what he wanted and it cost him his life. Maybe if he had been asked ahead of time if he could have his answer and it would cost his life he might have still done it. Still probably wouldn't want to go out the way he did if he had a choice. 

I just went from being happy the short dude was gonna walk to then realizing he is gonna die and I really like his character.....but I have really liked a lot of the characters in the story and have learned by now to not get too attached to any one of them.  

I agree to some extent. I don't think wanted the confession was arrogant.

I think the arrogence was letting his guard down as if the fight was over.

I can see that, but I don't see that as letting his guard down either. He was just focused on getting the words. Screaming them himself. Demanding them from his foe. It's all he could think about. All consuming. He had the opportunity to finish it, and everyone watching especially Tyrion was waiting for that blow, couldn't believe he wasn't finishing him off. But he wasn't fighting for Tyrion. It was only finished when he heard the words.

edit: In his mind, he didn't have a choice. Also, I think he would feel that getting the words and having him admit what he did was worth the price he paid. Justice for his sister and her children in the confession.

Ramsey.  They introduced him as a Snow numerous times.  Roose even said he would consider making him a Bolton if he secured Moat Cailin.

As for the Viper, he knew it was the mountain that killed his sister.  He wanted him to name Tywin as having given the order.  He definitely let his guard down and got cocky at the end.  Made it about himself when it was about Tyrion, and severely underestimated his opponent.  Can't really blame him, but it's definitely his own fault his head got crushed like a grape.

Made it about himself when it was about Tyrion, and severely underestimated his opponent.

It was never about himself or Tyrion. It was always only about revenge. It's the entire reason he came to King's Landing... the sending of Cersei's daughter to Dorne and having some of the Martell's at the palace was his excuse for being there.

Tyrion just didn't realize it wasn't about him until he heard Oberyn demanding his confession.