Post Your Record Storage Area

That's awesome. I have no experience with LED tape. Is it plugged into the wall or are you running it off a battery. I could really use this because my records are in a darker area of the room.

i had to solder 2 wires in between each cube, then the last one is wired to a 12v transformer (wall-wort). plugs into normal power.

it's stuck on with 3m permanent double sided tape (the red kind).

the ledtape is awesome because it comes on a roll, and you can cut sections as long as you need and just wire them together.

[image]

put some led tape in my expedit.

low voltage + low heat

That's awesome. I have no experience with LED tape. Is it plugged into the wall or are you running it off a battery. I could really use this because my records are in a darker area of the room.

i want to do this, how easy was it/ power source?

^that LACK table stacking is a good idea! I thought about doing that. What do you use to attach them?

First I was thinking about either cutting the legs shorter or not using the legs at all and putting some kind of feet on them (sort of like Slinch's picture), but I didn't like the idea of the tables not being sturdy, able to slide. So the way I built it, all the legs are attached so that it is one, sturdy piece (it's not just two tables stacked on top of each other).

The way I built it, I first just assembled one as directed with the provided double ended screws (this is the middle board and bottom legs). Then I screwed (with my own screws) the top of another to the bottom of that one (that's the bottom board). Then all that's left is the top board and legs, which looks like another normally assembled table, but it isn't. The legs are pre-drilled only on one side, so the legs at the top are flipped and the screws used for the bottom of the top legs and the middle board are shorter double ended screws I bought myself (they need to be smaller so that they do not run into the screws in the lower table). Then I just screwed the top board onto the top legs with my own screws. Hopefully that made sense.

Was finally able to get some time in the shop. I made an even better one, but was off on my measuring and couldn't find the records inside. The third one was another tall guy, today I made this one. Low enough to flip through. I started on another as well, but it's a white one, just to see how it looked.

[image]

I work for a plastic fabrication company. We build shit out of plastic for customers. My next task is to refinish the cover on my record player. It's 80's model form pioneer, so the lid is pretty beat up. If not, I'll try and build an entire new one. My job has so much crazy shit under one roof, three CNC machines, laser, full digital printer that can print up to 4'X8', vacuum forming, etc. The only thing we dont do is injection molding.

I work for a plastic fabrication company. We build shit out of plastic for customers. My next task is to refinish the cover on my record player. It's 80's model form pioneer, so the lid is pretty beat up. If not, I'll try and build an entire new one. My job has so much crazy shit under one roof, three CNC machines, laser, full digital printer that can print up to 4'X8', vacuum forming, etc. The only thing we dont do is injection molding.

are they hiring? :) I'm just right around the corner (vancouver, wa)

also how much would it cost to make me a cover if i paid you?

i posted a thread about this thing about a week or so ago. it was like $80 at target.

[image]

How's the build quality of those Target stands? I picked up the display model and it felt flimsy, so I was sort of skeptical about buying it since I wanted to use it as a stand too.

I got one this past weekend. I used to drink 5 nights a week, and I quit a few months back, so now I just blow all of that booze money on records. Cool story, right?

Anyway, I LOVE this thing. It's perfect for records, and the lady loves it because it matches her living room decor. I even got one of the classy Target wicker baskets (with some sort of cotton lining) for my 7"s.

It looks like Martha Stewart's record collection at this point.

Has anyone ever dabbled in putting doors on an expedit? The only place in my apartment where my expedit fits is in some sunlight and i'd like to add some doors to it so I can reduce the spine fading on my lps. I've seen those expedit doors for each cube at IKEA but it would be nice to find a less expensive cost. Anyone have any ideas?

doors sound complicated

what about adding a curtain of some kind to the front of it? (something cool, not frilly).

You might be interested in this hack. It looks awesome and maybe you can figure a way to do this yourself...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/305436801/rekordit-records-are-beautiful

Shame that's not going to get funded. Something like that would be really nice!

FUNDED!

edit: someone pledged 5K and then canceled it.

hopefully this gets re-started and he gets the funding next ttime around.

[image]

Temporary set up until we move in May. I like the Besta to the Expidit because it has a back and adjustable shelves. At the house I had an Expidit on either side with a speaker on each but there's no room in this apartment for that. (There's one off to the left of the image with a desk attachment but the other is elsewhere at the moment.)

[image]

Temporary set up until we move in May. I like the Besta to the Expidit because it has a back and adjustable shelves. At the house I had an Expidit on either side with a speaker on each but there's no room in this apartment for that. (There's one off to the left of the image with a desk attachment but the other is elsewhere at the moment.)

I like that set up... gives flexibility for box sets and what not. Good idea.

Might want to straighten those records up though -- leaning like that not good in the long run

Has anyone ever dabbled in putting doors on an expedit? The only place in my apartment where my expedit fits is in some sunlight and i'd like to add some doors to it so I can reduce the spine fading on my lps. I've seen those expedit doors for each cube at IKEA but it would be nice to find a less expensive cost. Anyone have any ideas?

You might be interested in this hack. It looks awesome and maybe you can figure a way to do this yourself...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/305436801/rekordit-records-are-beautiful

This is REAL close to getting funded.. if anyone is still interested.

about 24 hrs to go..

classic rock shelf 1 of 4:

[image]

Dude, your classic rock is all out of order and making me stress!

Black Sabbath, Dylan, The Doors, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Brother, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Yardbirds!

Blasphemy! Your system is making no sense!!!! I know, this is some sort of "six degrees of Eric Clapton" sorting you got going on. Right?

• jhulud locked this topic