Post Your Record Storage Area

Dude, your classic rock is all out of order and making me stress!

Black Sabbath, Dylan, The Doors, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Brother, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Yardbirds!

Blasphemy! Your system is making no sense!!!! I know, this is some sort of "six degrees of Eric Clapton" sorting you got going on. Right?

Haha, I try to keep bands together. I listen to these lp's more than most of my others.

bigmanandy - there is a full picture about 10 pages back in this thread.

I know some guys were talking about LED tape on a previous page. Some buddies of mine do LED lighting professionally, and are just starting to produce and distribute them for the public. USB powered, so no heat/power concerns. They're on the pricey side, but the colors/brightness/patterns are totally computer controlled. So, you could set the lights in your expedit to change color whenever you update your tradelist, or maybe something slightly less nerdy.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thephotonfactory/usb-plasmatrim-controllable-led-accent-lighting

Dude, your classic rock is all out of order and making me stress!

Black Sabbath, Dylan, The Doors, Rolling Stones, The Who, The Beatles, Beach Boys, Big Brother, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Hendrix, Yardbirds!

Blasphemy! Your system is making no sense!!!! I know, this is some sort of "six degrees of Eric Clapton" sorting you got going on. Right?

Haha, I try to keep bands together. I listen to these lp's more than most of my others.

bigmanandy - there is a full picture about 10 pages back in this thread.

alphabetize by artist, with each album in chronological order.

it's the only way!

My neighbor gave me a 2x2 expedit he wasn't using, so I tidied up the collection a bit today. Not bothered to alphabetize anything though, haha.

[image]

The various in the 4x4 are bands that I have three or more releases of (Neurosis, Grails, Bane, Tombs, Mars Volta, Knut, Pig Destroyer, Dillinger Esc, Starkweather, Sofy Major etc). The various in the 4x2 are bands I only have a few releases of. The newer "pop" in the 2x2 are bands like Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Interpol, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire. Older "pop" is stuff like Ride, Jesus Lizard, Slint, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Nomeansno, Faith No More.

My neighbor gave me a 2x2 expedit he wasn't using, so I tidied up the collection a bit today. Not bothered to alphabetize anything though, haha.

[image]

The various in the 4x4 are bands that I have three or more releases of (Neurosis, Grails, Bane, Tombs, Mars Volta, Knut, Pig Destroyer, Dillinger Esc, Starkweather, Sofy Major etc). The various in the 4x2 are bands I only have a few releases of. The newer "pop" in the 2x2 are bands like Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Interpol, Arctic Monkeys, Arcade Fire. Older "pop" is stuff like Ride, Jesus Lizard, Slint, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Nomeansno, Faith No More.

I like what I see ;)

btw.. what is in tht for sale box? still only the things in from your sale thread?

[image]

Seriously though, we could be best friends.

Why would anyone think that the short boards go across?

Yeah, every "failed" Expedit image I've seen was oriented wrong by 90 degrees. It's all about compression. Plus, those bigger units should be anchored anyway.

Anchoring it won't prevent it from collapsing, as is the case in that photo...

Can anyone explain how the crashed Expedit was not at the right 90° angle? Why was it weaker like that?

The Expedit is made up of two types of shelves: long and short. When it is fully assembled, there are two ways it can be used, the long shelves left to right, or the long shelves up and down (like in the picture). The long shelves left to right acts like your kitchen table, where a long surface is supported at multiple points (the legs).

When the long shelves are placed up and down, it is more like a ladder...but in the case of an Expedit, the rungs of the ladder are supported by tiny wooden dowels, or pegs.

Now, imaging placing several hundreds of pounds of weight on your kitchen table...not too concerned. But, when you place several hundreds of pounds of weight on a ladder rung held in by tiny, wooden pegs, you get the result shown above.

Yeah, every "failed" Expedit image I've seen was oriented wrong by 90 degrees. It's all about compression. Plus, those bigger units should be anchored anyway.

Anchoring it won't prevent it from collapsing, as is the case in that photo...

Umm... if you anchor it correctly to the wall, kids could use the thing as a jungle gym. In every failed image I've seen the unit has tipped and bent horizontally. Anchoring properly would prevent the tipping in the first place. The short shelves aren't just collapsing vertically in those images. If that were the case, then yes, anchoring would be no help.

• jhulud locked this topic