Post Your Record Storage Area

FINALLY got an Expedit. Was going through some old wedding cards from our wedding last year and found $100! Also got a super comfy swivel chair off of Kijiji (Canadas answer to Craigs List) and plopped it right in front of my vinyl. Got a pair of those chairs for $80. I think they're usually about $500 at Ikea. Total score.

For some reason your photo and setup reminds me of this:

[image]

FINALLY got an Expedit. Was going through some old wedding cards from our wedding last year and found $100! Also got a super comfy swivel chair off of Kijiji (Canadas answer to Craigs List) and plopped it right in front of my vinyl. Got a pair of those chairs for $80. I think they're usually about $500 at Ikea. Total score.

For some reason your photo and setup reminds me of this:

[image]

That's exactly what one of my friends said. Hahaha

The photo outside is allowing the oil to sit and soak into the wood in the sunlight. None of the photos show some of the last steps of actually putting it together (those are just stacked pieces) or the fact that each drawer is in fact a drawer and pulls out.

Took forever to make in my free time at my dads place. The first half my dad did like all the work, always has taken over since derby cars, although the second half I told him I wanted to do more of it and did majority of the drawers, dovetailing, staining, ebony edges, etc.

Will post completed photos in a few weeks.

Wow appletree, that looks amazing. I wish I had any sort of wood working skills, I'd copy that design for sure haha.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, props goes to my dad mostly, but he literally let me do the last few months of work pretty much with him just watching. Usually growing up it was always the other way around, I've been known to stand there for 4 hours holding a flashlight or some shit.

The idea was to have a way to flip through my records like at a record store but also have drawers to pull out and do it so I could get my hands around them (not cause of big hands or anything I weigh 140!). I also wanted something to set my turntable, amp, pre-amp, etc on.

Once I finish waxing and get home for the holidays I will start filling it up. Currently been putting all my records in excel for deadformat or something so I have a lot of work to do.

Wow appletree, that looks amazing. I wish I had any sort of wood working skills, I'd copy that design for sure haha.

Thanks a lot for the compliments, props goes to my dad mostly, but he literally let me do the last few months of work pretty much with him just watching. Usually growing up it was always the other way around, I've been known to stand there for 4 hours holding a flashlight or some shit.

The idea was to have a way to flip through my records like at a record store but also have drawers to pull out and do it so I could get my hands around them (not cause of big hands or anything I weigh 140!). I also wanted something to set my turntable, amp, pre-amp, etc on.

Once I finish waxing and get home for the holidays I will start filling it up. Currently been putting all my records in excel for deadformat or something so I have a lot of work to do.

I build my own storage too, though my first shelf was essentially a wooden 1x3 expedit. I've been sketching a lot lately trying to figure out a good design to store my records in a "flip through" record store fashion. I haven't thought about using drawers, very cool. My issue is figuring out a way to maximize storage and still make the space functional, because I'd love to be able to keep my turntable and equipment in the same space.

Yeah my table/storage unit attempts to be space saving but it is a nice sized piece of furniture. I wanted it low to the ground so I can sit on the ground or in a chair and still use my turntable and stuff. It isn't too wide so it does sit nice against the wall in the living room under the window sills.

Tbh though the drawers (which are not pictured fully yet) were a pain in the ass. I mean planning it out for the size of the drawer and finding rollers that would support the weight of (idk yet) ~80 records or so in each drawer was tough too.

Best put, it was pretty damn challenging. Arguing with my dad got old too, haha. He works in his shop by himself all the time so I think we got on each others nerves a few times. Good excuse to drive the hour or so to my parents house as well.

ps: the plans are shitty and about 5 versions but i will grab em all from my dads next time and can post em if anyone is curious

I don't see many people who store their records like they are in a store, facing frontwards. I am looking to get some custom shelves made to hold more like this, because I can't find any more of these stands, so I am looking for some ideas. If you store your records like this, PLEASE post/repost your pictures.

Thanks!

[image]

I've got a couple of these that I use as a "now playing" spot:

[image]

What I use currently:

[image]

[image]

They are seperated by genre. I have spray pain and stensils to label each bin, just haven't done it yet. And I have rollers that I can move a crate to and use as my "now playing" spot.

[image]

@TattooMike - yr set up looks really rad - my question though, how strong are the beams and supports on it for when you have it fully loaded down with stuff?

I don't remember what the weight rating is. The entire shelf is metal and is very sturdy. I have the utmost confidence that it won't collapse. I don't have as much confidence in it not tipping over. I've had it loaded up with books many years ago and it was stable, but I haven't filled the top up with vinyl. I'll likely just buy another complete rack and keep the bins on the bottom 2 shelves when I have to expand. I've actually bought pieces of mdf to line the shelves but wanna paint them first. Real happy with the set up.

• jhulud locked this topic