Average $ spent on your vinyl.

I don't keep a detailed spreadsheet of how much I spend. After reading this thread, I want to start a spreadsheet keeping track of exact amounts. I feel like it would help me curb unnecessary spending and impulse purchases. Discogs values my collection with a minimum of $7,800 median of $11,500 and a max of $18,500. I'd say the amount I've spent is somewhere between the minimum and median. Seeing the numbers scares me a bit. I'm generally pretty frugal with my record spending, but I feel like I need to cut back even more. I've been collecting for about 7 years, but the bulk of the purchases have been in the last couple years. 

Mo' records, mo' problems.

I'm probably the only person here that doesn't keep a spread sheet or list. I don't even know how many records I have to the closest hundred. What's a full 2x4 expedit filled with no leaning? I've got that plus several boxes of 7" records.

Ballpark estimate would be around $10k. Actual worth though? Definitely more thanks to getting in on the cheap ground floor with most releases.

I started writing down my purchases awhile back by going through bank statements and saved receipts but I only got about half way through and didn't include shipping costs.

Speaking of which...

Makes me never want to buy online again.

I don't want to see the total for my records...

If I HAD a legit record store in my area, I'd never buy online, unless for releases online and the really rare ones.

But nooooo..

No real idea about how much I spend even monthly, it seems to vary wildly depending on if I'm consciously curbing my spending or if I just don't care and buy what looks good. Last month, in December, I think I spent way too much, considering I bought records as gifts and I had a 'Ahhhh, it's the holidays, just do it' spree on all this stuff I was hemming and hawing about.

I also tend to look for deals as opposed to just buying one record at a time, but that means I sometimes end up with records I don't want and try to get rid of. Last month there was a deal on Repulse or something where all 2013 records were on sale, got 5 records for 45, didn't like two of them (Yo La Tengo and Majical Cloudz) so that didn't entirely work out for me. Also my local record store has this punch-card type deal where if you spend some, you get punches and later you can give the punch-card for a discount, and Saturday mornings everything is 20% off so I might buy things I would have been on the fence about... so many subconscious factors at play over whether I decide to buy something.

I've even cashed in my change jar and spent that money on records I never would have bought with 'real' money, I don't know where that fits in.

I have 2253 items in my collection, that includes records, CDs and cassettes.  They are all listed in a spreadsheet that includes artist, album, year of original release, pressing specific release date, record label, catalog number, format, store (city, state) purchased from, date purchased, new/used, price paid (excluding tax and shipping), and arrival date (for online purchases).  I've been keeping track of the categories in red since 12/10/2008, and the last category since Monday, haha.  I hope to fill in the last category for my online purchases last year with the receipts I've saved.  The number of releases that have all of this information is 853 of the total 2253, though I'm not sure how many are records.

My total spent in 2013 was $856.59, actually much less than I expected.  I just started primarily focusing on records within the past couple months.  A lot of my purchases before that were CDs, and most of those were used.  I try and visit Rasputin in Stockton, California once every few months, but there record selection is minimal and I usually spend most of my time looking for random CDs to fill in my collection.  I've bought so many CDs for one song from my youth, but I'd rather pay $1.00 for an album than a song.  I strongly dislike digital downloads as the only means of owning music.

So far this year I've spent $338.31, which tells me I'm definitely going to spend more this year than last, especially with my increased interest in vinyl.

Also, where are you guys seeing this Discogs thing where it shows you what your collection is potentially worth?

It's under Collection.  On the right above your collection, there are four icons for viewing options.  Text with statistics will give you the potential values.  It's based on their market place, so releases that haven't ever been sold have no information in terms of worth.

It's an easy way to ballpark what you're collection is worth (if you already have your collection cataloged with discogs).

It's under Collection. 

I see. It's an interesting tool, but you're right, it's definitely short a few dozen items that have never been sold,especially tapes. My median is about $4k at the moment. I've been collecting since late 2012. Sounds right I guess.

The best feature of this tool is making myself feel better about my own purchases. For instance, I had no idea Ty Segall - Slaughterhouse on clear sold for so much. I bought it in a regular record store. I know me and I'm gonna pore over this.

Guest greatestvinylcollectoreva

why don't you stop being a stereotypical black father and think about other people, why would you spend all of your money on vinyl when you can either support yourself or others you dumb ignorant assholes, why would you fuck tards think that vinyl collecting is a good source of money spending.

Guest greatestvinylcollectoreva

i'm seeing a lot of "total spent"... but not a lot of average cost.

my current collection: $19.90 per record

every record i've ever purchased: $17.95 per record

total collection: $4,199.90

all costs include shipping

i'm seeing a lot of "total spent"... but not a lot of average cost.

my current collection: $19.90 per record

every record i've ever purchased: $17.95 per record

total collection: $4,199.90

all costs include shipping

You dumb piece of shit why would you waste your money when you can easily buy productive things that an apartment so you can get out of your white trash whore bag of a mothers house, almost 4,200 you spent on worthless plastic, why don't you get a job you fucking loser. Edited by greatestvinylcollectoreva

You dumb piece of shit why would you waste your money when you can easily buy productive things that an apartment so you can get out of your white trash whore bag of a mothers house, almost 4,200 you spent on worthless plastic, why don't you get a job you fucking loser.

Shit! I never thought about that! I should sell my house so I can buy more worthless plastic.

The median worth of my collection according to Discogs is almost exactly $10,000, but there is about 5 pages of stuff with no sales history.

With roughly 400 albums that's an average of $25 per record which I think is fairly accurate considered what I usually have to pay for shipping to Canada.