The Dear Hunter "Acts I, II, & III" Represses

Okay. Listening to this all over again, I've realized something. I haven't listened to the Acts in a LONG time. And it's so much better than I remember! I just don't know how he went from this to Migrant, you know? Like, every sound and lyric is so meaningful and deliberate with these songs. They feel like they have so much more weight. It's great storytelling with complex, incredible music; not just "Don't look back ... k, its over." The songs evolve and are so intricate. I remember, I used to call this my "favorite experimental band". Now, The Dear Hunter is just different. Not entirely bad, but definitely not the same. I seriously think he's realized his full potential of his talent and is exploiting it. I don't think he tries as hard as he used to. Cause if you knew that you could barely try and everyone would love it, wouldn't you coast on that for as long as you could? I've got to say, I'm kind of worried about what Act 4, 5 and 6 will bring... That makes me sad.

i've always said (to no one in particular) that if i had to choose someone to score my film, it would be casey. his talent is otherworldly, and his ability to replicate any kind of mood or tone is astounding.

so i definitely agree; hearing migrant, while maybe being pretty good for any other artist, is a total flop for casey. no dynamic qualities, no variety, minimal emotional pull.

I seriously think he's realized his full potential of his talent and is exploiting it. I don't think he tries as hard as he used to. Cause if you knew that you could barely try and everyone would love it, wouldn't you coast on that for as long as you could?

and i sincerely hope you aren't correct, for all of us. maybe he has realized his full potential, but i would hope it doesn't mean he has tapped every possibility (although color spectrum sure seems that way -- maybe it taxed his creativity too much?). hopefully it's just a bump in the road... but i also couldn't blame him for mailing it in when he's got everything going for him. most artists reach a point where their music loses substance. hopefully casey hasn't reached his time yet.

I think two things contributed to the way Migrant came out. For one, now he's writing with a full band. I have to imagine going from writing nearly everything yourself to having to rely so much on a group of people, talented as they are, is much different. Also, there's the fact that he switched to EVR. Idk what it is lately but two of my favorite bands have switched to them and released awful ( or in Casey's case disappointing) albums. I have high hopes that when he does the Acts, we can expect a lot more of what we want from him. The guy just produced a symphony for fuck's sake. I have to believe he still has it in him and is just trying new things with a new(ish) band and a new label. He did say that the remaining Acts would be produced without time constraints and released under his own time. I think he saw where the band might be headed (also I'm sure he did need a break from the Acts), so he decided it would be more fitting to do the remaining Acts where he has full control over them. I mean, if he was really wanting to just cash in, he'd throw the Acts together and release them for people to buy just because. At least that's my take on the whole thing. I have faith.

Okay. Listening to this all over again, I've realized something. I haven't listened to the Acts in a LONG time. And it's so much better than I remember! I just don't know how he went from this to Migrant, you know? Like, every sound and lyric is so meaningful and deliberate with these songs. They feel like they have so much more weight. It's great storytelling with complex, incredible music; not just "Don't look back ... k, its over." The songs evolve and are so intricate. I remember, I used to call this my "favorite experimental band". Now, The Dear Hunter is just different. Not entirely bad, but definitely not the same. I seriously think he's realized his full potential of his talent and is exploiting it. I don't think he tries as hard as he used to. Cause if you knew that you could barely try and everyone would love it, wouldn't you coast on that for as long as you could? I've got to say, I'm kind of worried about what Act 4, 5 and 6 will bring... That makes me sad.

Honestly, I think that's nonsense. Allow me to address this point for point...

1. Yes, the "storytelling" is far more complex and interesting in the Acts series vs. Migrant. Know why? Because Migrant is not a concept album the way that Acts 1-3 are. Common sense to anyone who understands varying genres/ways of writing music. TCS is also not a concept album persay (at least, not with a cohesive directed storyline...the EPs have in common just the fact that each is representing a color).

2). It's not "exploiting" the full potential of your talent (which isn't really a negative, how does one exploit his/her own talent?) to release an album that does a different thing, or tries to reach a different audience. Yes, maybe you didnt like Migrant as much as the Acts...I agree with that, and I think the Acts are stronger musically. But to say he doesn't try as hard just because this album is somewhat simpler and has a different feel...

3). No, you would not "coast" if you knew that people loved everything you did. What happens as a musician is you feel that much more pressure and work that much harder to create something that will interest the listener, change things up, take them by surprise, and inspire. The mentality for any musician I've ever heard of in this situation is not "Sweet, my last album did really well. I guess I can just put out whatever now". It's "Oh man, how do I top (previous album)?"

4). What "lack of quality" do you see in this release? The vinyl sounds fantastic. It's music, not a painting to hang on the wall. You got all the Act albums for $60 instead of spending $300-$400 on Ebay on older pressings. You don't like the artwork...that's not a "lack of quality", that's you not liking the photos chosen for the album art. And yes I agree the typos/lyric-sheet issues should've been caught, but none of us knew about those until we got the LPs in hand. So, it has nothing to do with us "eating it up" no matter what is released.

Anyway, I don't mean to come off as rude. It's just that I found this post particularly ridiculous. Casey is a tremendous musician, and holding a musician's current work up against what's considered their "masterpiece" will always be unfair and disappointing. I really don't know why people can't just enjoy things on their own merit. Migrant has a ton of great songs like Shame, An Escape, etc. Do I play it as much as the Acts and TCS? No. But do I think it means Casey's music is going downhill? Absolutely not. It's just a different album, and I have friends that think it's some of the best, most honest music he's written. It's just an alternate flavor of things for when you're in the mood for something different.

Just my two cents.

Just my two cents.

Suppose we can agree to disagree.

While your points hold weight, I just can't fully agree. Casey is a great musician; I never questioned that. Its just the direction he's going in just seems funny. Whether its all a cash grab or not, at least we can agree that the music is all to some degree good. I suppose every band has their "blemishes". I've said the same for fun., but that's besides the point.

Anyways, I'm still sad.

Suppose we can agree to disagree.

While your points hold weight, I just can't fully agree. Casey is a great musician; I never questioned that. Its just the direction he's going in just seems funny. Whether its all a cash grab or not, at least we can agree that the music is all to some degree good. I suppose every band has their "blemishes". I've said the same for fun., but that's besides the point.

Anyways, I'm still sad.

I hear you. And you're right, that's the point I was making...no band has album after album that's going to perfectly appeal to you and be equal in quality. We're lucky that people like Casey exist whose music, even on a bad day, is 10X better than the best stuff many other bands can come up with.

That said, I'm pretty sure the continuation of the Acts will absolutely slay.

Just got mine yesterday! I actually really enjoy the artwork. I know a lot of people were saying they didn't like it, but I like how Casey illustrated the band's name. I like the original artwork more, I think, but I don't think this is bad

Yeah, I got mine today, too, and I have to say I actually really like the artwork. It's very reminiscent of the American Romantic/Transendentalist movement, which Casey was obviously very aware of when he wrote some of the songs on all three of the Acts. It's very period-correct, and I like that.