The Dear Hunter "Acts I, II, & III" Represses

no, i wasnt implying you have a beard or drink from a flask, i was just stating in general i want to meet and hang out with you. youre the funniest mother fucker on these boards. 

Now that you're over here in California, we definitely should.

And while I didn't personally order these reissues, I've got to say that I'm happy to see just how short the wait time was, on these "pre-orders".  I bet it feels like a stroll through bizarro world to PO something and have it ship out two days later.

triple crown has been pretty solid with their preorders, at least in my experience with them. they wait til it's in hand before it ships.

just got mine today but haven't cracked them. i really hope the sound is ok on act III because the first press sounded excellent as far as i'm concerned. never had acts I + II so i'm just happy to own them at this point.

Is there a pretty noticeable difference between the 180g and standard pressings of these albums? I missed the 180g bundle by a day, and I've been debating whether to get the standard bundle, or pursue the 180g bundle through ebay.

the weight of a record truly will not have any tangible effect on the sound quality. don't buy into the "180 Gram!" hype.

the weight of a record truly will not have any tangible effect on the sound quality. don't buy into the "180 Gram!" hype.

I prefer getting 180g for a couple reasons. 1. I simply enjoy the feel and weight of them. It makes me more satisfied with ny purchase. And 2. The heavier weight helps prevent warping, which in turn helps deter issues with playback/sound quality. My favorite sounding records are 180g. Obviously there are more factors that go into the sound quality and not every 180g record sounds good, but to me it seems 180g records have a better chance of sounding well.

Just compared the first pressings with these 180 gram pressings, act 1 & 2 seem to sound a tiny bit more full on the new pressings act 3 sounds the same. The quietness was just me being deaf yesterday. I do wonder if it's my turntable or if it's the record but when it goes into the chorus of embrace (?) the "we fall beneath..." Part sounds kind of fuzzy. Like when a speaker is blown almost. Is this the same for anyone else?

I have records that are 180g and they are warped. I have records that are around 120g and are not warped. Warping can happen to any weight of record in the wrong conditions. 

Of course. I'm not saying they are immune to warping at all. In my personal experience I've only had a few 180g records that were warped beyond playability, while I've had many more sub 180g records that were warped beyond playability. I thought it was a fairly well known fact that the reason for 180g, or heavier records in general, was to help prevent warping. Or is my mind just making that up?

Of course. I'm not saying they are immune to warping at all. In my personal experience I've only had a few 180g records that were warped beyond playability, while I've had many more sub 180g records that were warped beyond playability. I thought it was a fairly well known fact that the reason for 180g, or heavier records in general, was to help prevent warping. Or is my mind just making that up?

My point is that I'm pretty sure the "reason" for 180g or higher record weight is to justify fuckheadedly inflated prices by greedy labels. And that's pretty much where I stand. I have a copy of Led Zeppelin I on one of the flimsiest LP's in my collection. Sounds awesome and is not warped. I get what you're saying but its really just a BS marketing scheme as far as I can assess through my experience.

My copies of Acts 1 and 2 came today (I didn't like 3 enough to buy it on vinyl).

I'll be honest, the gatefold on 2 gives new meaning to the word hideous. It's such a poorly used space that you can hardly even read the lyrics.

Such potential squandered.

I was about to say I actually have no aversion to the new artwork (though I prefer the original), but you are 100% right about the gatefold on Act II, my eyes are bleeding!

My point is that I'm pretty sure the "reason" for 180g or higher record weight is to justify fuckheadedly inflated prices by greedy labels. And that's pretty much where I stand. I have a copy of Led Zeppelin I on one of the flimsiest LP's in my collection. Sounds awesome and is not warped. I get what you're saying but its really just a BS marketing scheme as far as I can assess through my experience.

Yea I can understand that.

I listened to track 3 of act 3. It seems quiet compared to the first press. I could just be deaf. I'm letting wood glue sit on it right now because the first track on each side has some sort of rubbery glue smeared on it. Hopefully the wood glue takes it off.

Arg just noticed this myself. Did you have any luck with the wood glue? I've never tried that cleaning method before, but I have a number of old worthless records I can practice on before hitting up Act III. I'd rather not have to dick around waiting for a replacement to be sent internationally.

Those that did ask for replacements, did you have to send your current copy back?