As someone  or a blog mentioned before, the thought is that the girls didn't actually set the dolls up. You can see the daughter putting the girl doll away before they leave the room, then Marty looks in and sees the thing and kind of shakes his head. I think it was meant to be a Rust-esque hallucinations. The work/case invading their heads while their at home.

Don't think it was a hallucination because there were the drawings too. I think we're just supposed to imply that his daughter was affected by the "bad guys" in one way or another but Marty was too detached from his family life to notice. Maybe she ran into one of them and they creeped her out and put all the ideas in her head but never actually abducted her. 

untitled_zps7fb023e6.png

GetAttachment_zpsc6e78c66.jpg

Did anyone else notice this? This is one thing that I have loved about these 8 episodes. There is so much tiny detail and foreshadowing and I love it! I'm looking forward to rewatching the series now that it's finished and finding those little easter eggs that are strategically placed in there.

Here's a good interview with Pizzolatto about the finale and some hints at next season.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1

Awesome.  I didn't see anywhere online that they got picked up for another season (which would really surprise me if they didn't).

i think it would of been cool if the ep began with a caught errol sitting in the police station, talking to the 2012 agents and giving his accounts of what happened.  like the 1997 capture/kills, he twists the story and lies, but we see what really happens.  he somehow frames marty and cole for the whole thing.

also, what was up with him having 3 different accents...did i miss something.

about to watch this again and really take it all in. i think my nerves got in the way of me actually absorbing what happened last night, and i'm excited for a clearer watch. which goes 2 ways, because my stream was interrupted far too many times last night.

i think it would of been cool if the ep began with a caught errol sitting in the police station, talking to the 2012 agents and giving his accounts of what happened.  like the 1997 capture/kills, he twists the story and lies, but we see what really happens.  he somehow frames marty and cole for the whole thing.

also, what was up with him having 3 different accents...did i miss something.

yeah i am also wondering what was up with this, no idea.

about to watch this again and really take it all in. i think my nerves got in the way of me actually absorbing what happened last night, and i'm excited for a clearer watch. which goes 2 ways, because my stream was interrupted far too many times last night.

that's what she said....

But really. I want to watch it again too, and then watch the whole series from the beginning. The ending, and knowing that the season is over has not taken away from how much I love it. I feel like this season will instantly become a cult classic.

NP said it was about him learning different ways of speaking by watching old VHS tapes.  Not really sure of the overall relevance, but I guess that was part of his brief character development.

thats underwhelming.  he lived in nola (i would assume his entire life), he should have a southern accent.

niZI845.png

might as well have just put him on a cross here

"and i said 'darkness...? yee-aahh'"

erroll's wife... wow, she was magnificent. exactly as whacked-out and fucked as necessary.

loved the way they faded into marty recalling everything and calling rust his friend.

Still digesting it. I liked it, not sure I loved it.

Feel a little dumb for going conspiracy theory crazy. Wish I had just chilled and took things at face value. Even up to the last 2 minutes I was thinking "how are they going to sneak the big reveal no one saw coming in here" instead of thinking "damn, these characters have changed so much." Oh well, though.