Is it me, or did VC undergo a shift in taste?

moonbeams

Haha no no. And I mean, Fugazi has been around selling records for almost 30 years and they're still one of the most well respected bands in independent music. I see what you're saying but I think it's a moot point in that specific case.

Yeah I was just using your examples. I really don't care much about any of those four bands, but bottom line is that it's in everyone's best interest for vinyl in general to be popular. No reason to be against certain artists, genres.

Yeah I was just using your examples. I really don't care much about any of those four bands, but bottom line is that it's in everyone's best interest for vinyl in general to be popular. No reason to be against certain artists, genres.

Yeah, I was super over exaggerating. It's obviously awesome for artists and the crumbling music industry that vinyl is so popular (other than represses of stuff that you can find in any record store dollar bins taking up space at pressing plants, creating oil products we can't get back that there are already an abundance of etc.). I was just commenting on how trends come in waves and the thing we like is popular and was joking about the premise of this thread that the stuff the board likes has shifted.

It has to be exhausting to be upset about album represses/reissues. These 'labels' know where their bread is buttered so don't expect it to stop anytime in the immediate future. Continue to not buy them, it's more effective than complaining.

I don't get the anger from some of the above posters.

I'm all for keeping the good music in press for new fans, replacements, gifts, etc.

However I'm pretty vocal about repress quality which often sucks because labels either reuse old stampers or the worst of offenses, use a master that was intended for CDs. 

Rhino represses suck. Walk Among Us, my favorite LP, if the worst offender. Even the Epitaph represses are not so good compared to originals. Repressing is always an opportunity to improve the product, but companies tend to cut curves and screw the fans.

How did Streetlight come into this? I can see a lot of people who like Streetlight also liking blink (especially Enema and the stuff before) but there is a whole other group of really annoying blink fans who would never listen to Streetlight.

However I'm pretty vocal about repress quality which often sucks because labels either reuse old stampers or the worst of offenses, use a master that was intended for CDs. 

Do you have any real sense for how often this happens? Cause I was under the impression that a single master for digital which is then used on vinyl is FAR more common than multiple masters but I don't have a way to back that up.

You know when this board will talk about Fugazi? Never.

Ian and Discord will never gouge their fans. there willl never be 85 swirl pressings or music sublicensed to RJ Part 2. There is nothing but music and that will never get the attention it deserves from 16 year old Pokemon collectors.

Yeah, why spend $28 on a TOYPAJ repress when you can use that money to buy a Minor Threat shirt from Urban Outfitters? :P

How did Streetlight come into this? I can see a lot of people who like Streetlight also liking blink (especially Enema and the stuff before) but there is a whole other group of really annoying blink fans who would never listen to Streetlight.

I assume because of my (probably annoyingly) fanatic looking signature.

You know when this board will talk about Fugazi? Never.

Ian and Discord will never gouge their fans. there willl never be 85 swirl pressings or music sublicensed to RJ Part 2. There is nothing but music and that will never get the attention it deserves from 16 year old Pokemon collectors.

<3 <3 <3

This argument makes no sense. If I want to listen to a record, that would mean I have an interest in listening to it. Because I want to listen to it, I would buy it. I think we all agree that vinyl is a superior listening format, that's why we're here, right?

I was talking about the sake of nostalgia only. I can totally understand someone wanting to buy (or even re-buy, on a different format) an album from their youth that they truly love and admire, but I can't imagine that every band/album someone listened to in high school is something they would want to listen to now.

I'll be the first to admit that some of the music I listened to when I was younger is objectively shit, but I'll still put it on YouTube/Spotify or give the CD a listen every now and then, for nostalgia's sake.

I was talking about the sake of nostalgia only. I can totally understand someone wanting to buy (or even re-buy, on a different format) an album from their youth that they truly love and admire, but I can't imagine that every band/album someone listened to in high school is something they would want to listen to now.

I'll be the first to admit that some of the music I listened to when I was younger is objectively shit, but I'll still put it on YouTube/Spotify or give the CD a listen every now and then, for nostalgia's sake.

I think it's a little too much to try to judge the reasons why people want to listen to music. I could care less.

Even in my short time year, since 2010, it has changed drastically.  I used to be able to hear about pre-orders well in advance, but now it's all elevator rock and top 40 pop talk.  I just skim the Equipment and Everything Else section for amusement these days.  But every once and a while some good info will pop up so for that I keep coming back.

I think it's a little too much to try to judge the reasons why people want to listen to music. I could care less.

Eh, it's no big deal. I just notice things like this more in the whole music buying/listening/making/collecting/whatever world. I don't really give a shit, it's just another quirk of the enormously varied realm of music collecting . Just my 2c.