Steelbook Collective.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the last disney/pixar steel I was missing arrived yesterday - The Incredibles. I was sure it was lost since it took two and a half months to get here. Now that they're all here and because there won't be a new release for a while, I took a group shot:

dsc02529a.jpg

Beautiful.  I gotta say, Wreck it Ralph is my favorite one though.

The original versions don't have any releases past a dvd port of a laserdisc transfer that came out 10-ish years ago.

That's what I'm saying. I'd prefer an original version release, and I know a lot of people are clamoring for it. Now that Disney owns the rights and George Lucas doesn't have a say in it, I'm more hopeful for theatrical version releases.

I don't really expect the original releases happening, at all. Per the Disney/Fox agreement, Fox gets 100% of all proceeds from theatrical and home media releases of Ep IV, forever. And 100% of all proceeds from all five other films until 2020. No way Disney will spend money on new transfers and restorations for absolutely zero financial gain. And if by some stroke of luck original versions ever happen, it definitely won't be in this decade.

They could work something out where only the despecialized versions get a split between fox and Disney and all special editions still go 100% to fox. And they could also make a deal that would extend fox distribution past 2020. Theres obviously money to be made, but your probably right that its not really worth it for either of them.  

I'm happy enough with the torrents of the despecialized edition. I will probably pick up these steelbooks since I don't own these on bluray.

• 1 month later...

The big question is...original versions or remastered?

The original versions don't have any releases past a dvd port of a laserdisc transfer that came out 10-ish years ago.

I don't really expect the original releases happening, at all. Per the Disney/Fox agreement, Fox gets 100% of all proceeds from theatrical and home media releases of Ep IV, forever. And 100% of all proceeds from all five other films until 2020. No way Disney will spend money on new transfers and restorations for absolutely zero financial gain. And if by some stroke of luck original versions ever happen, it definitely won't be in this decade.

They could work something out where only the despecialized versions get a split between fox and Disney and all special editions still go 100% to fox. And they could also make a deal that would extend fox distribution past 2020. Theres obviously money to be made, but your probably right that its not really worth it for either of them.  

I'm happy enough with the torrents of the despecialized edition. I will probably pick up these steelbooks since I don't own these on bluray.

Not steelbook, but didn't really want to start a thread about this. It may happen after all.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=9531

Not every fan likes that George Lucas reworked his original Star Wars trilogy. They want the pure form from the late 70's and early 80's. And that doesn't only concern the "Who shot first?"-controversy but also many optical adjustments and extensions. While the original versions already exist on DVD, the Blu-ray editions so far only have the modern ones. Rumors that this would change have existed earlier but now John Landis weighs in on it after he spoke with Lucas.

Empire Magazine:

At a Q&A tonight John Landis dropped that Disney are finally going to re-release the theatrical cuts of the original Star Wars trilogy.

Apparently George mentioned it when last they spoke. Somebody put Yub Nub on. Let the celebrations commence!

With Episode VII starting in cinemas in December and the Blu-ray coming in early 2016 that would probably a good time to fulfill the wishes of many fans.

• 5 weeks later...

Not a steelbook, but though someone might be interested. The complete That '70s Show series is getting a BluRay release in a few days, and I just noticed on my order page that the price went down from $150 to $60. Pretty awesome price. I already have the DVD set and the german BR release, but will add this one as well.

Here's the PO: http://amzn.to/1KMWo8f

910r_K6a2_Fv_L_SL1500.jpg

p.s. Why don't we have a blu-ray thread around?