PO: Pink Floyd - Division Bell double vinyl reissue and box set

No one on Earth should ever buy any of the Pink Floyd reissues. They're overpriced bullshit. Find a nice 70's to 80's press. They're are millions of them about and you can usually get a great sounding one for under $20 if you know how to work it.

I went through about 5 copies of WYWH on vinyl... All "mint" from the looks of them... All from the 70s... All noisy as hell in the quiet sections. (Which is about half the album.)

Eventually I bought a used copy of the new reissue. Super quiet, sounds fantastic. And this "overpriced bullshit" cost me exactly the same used as buying an OP, with twice the listening enjoyment.

Just because millions of people bought PF albums in the 70s doesn't mean that millions of people kept them in mint condition, clean and quiet and scratch-free, just to resell them in 2014. For that reason alone the reissues fill a valuable hole in the market and negate your entire argument.  

Not sure if it's any different in the US but all of my PF albums are early pressings and sound awesome (save for some very slight noise on Meddle). Paid between £5-10 for each of them and wasn't even "hunting" for them. I've seen loads of them in record fairs that all look at least VG+.

Not sure if it's any different in the US but all of my PF albums are early pressings and sound awesome (save for some very slight noise on Meddle). Paid between £5-10 for each of them and wasn't even "hunting" for them. I've seen loads of them in record fairs that all look at least VG+.

It is not the same in the States (at least in the midwest).  Find me a legit copy of Piper or Saucer in VG+ or better for that price, and with overseas shipping I guarantee I would still be ahead.  Hell, just look at Ebay.  Prices wouldn't go so high on the PF stuff if it was easy to walk into any old record store and find a satisfactory copy of their albums at a reasonable price.

Except your logic doesn't work on The Division Bell since it was released in 1994 and never pressed on a double LP like it should be.

I only meant that in regard to the ones that actually qualify as reissues. This technically is, I suppose, because it was issued on single LP (if that's correct, I don't know). Its still a crazy price for US buyers if this was produced by Rhino in the US.

I went through about 5 copies of WYWH on vinyl... All "mint" from the looks of them... All from the 70s... All noisy as hell in the quiet sections. (Which is about half the album.)

Eventually I bought a used copy of the new reissue. Super quiet, sounds fantastic. And this "overpriced bullshit" cost me exactly the same used as buying an OP, with twice the listening enjoyment.

Just because millions of people bought PF albums in the 70s doesn't mean that millions of people kept them in mint condition, clean and quiet and scratch-free, just to resell them in 2014. For that reason alone the reissues fill a valuable hole in the market and negate your entire argument.  

Relax, dude. I never said they would be perfectly quiet and dead mint. I'm saying you can find many in great condition for far cheaper than $30 - $40. Most of them have a bit of noise, sure. All I'm saying is that I'll take the noise (which can be minimal if, like I said, you know how to work it) on a classic PF record to save $20+ on the record. That way, its produced from the original masters also.

I never said it was a perfect solution. Its a compromise. Just like paying $40+ on a reissue of a classic record that exists in quantities over a million more than likely.

I agree. The WYWH reissue sounds fantastic and was well worth the price. I have a few Pink Floyd pressings from the 70's but the recent WYWH repress blows them out of the water sound wise. I'll be buying the Division Bell repress for sure. 

I think the Dark Side and WYWH reissues sound every bit as good as most originals (I've never heard the original Harvest UK presses) and I picked them up used for $12 each, about a year after they got pressed new (2011?). I assume The Wall RP sounds really good but that's  crazy overpriced IMHO, especially since there are a LOT of American copies floating around, many in NM condition. (Mine is an original 1979 press that sounds brand-new.)

Division Bell would be a no-brainer if I liked that album more. I would assume the SQ is going to be fantastic, certainly better than the maxed-out and edited version from the '90s. If I spot it new or used for $30 or less I'll probably snag it though. Already have Momentary Lapse and Delicate Sound... Gotta complete the "Waters-free" trifecta.

Such big price for me right now, but if the quality of this release are near to WYWH, it totally worth the money.

+The box set looks avesome, but I don't get the idea of including take it back on 7" and single sided 12" can anyone explain this 1 to me?

It duplicates the original vinyl single releases, now crazy OOP. More for nostalgia/collectibility than the actual music. But if you're a big fan and dig PF artwork (which is always fantastic, RIP Storm) it might be worth it.

It duplicates the original vinyl single releases, now crazy OOP. More for nostalgia/collectibility than the actual music. But if you're a big fan and dig PF artwork (which is always fantastic, RIP Storm) it might be worth it.

Hmmm. If this box set will live up for few monts, I will definetly buy it, because Division Bell cover art is the best I've ever seen.

Thank you)

Hmmm. If this box set will live up for few monts, I will definetly buy it, because Division Bell cover art is the best I've ever seen.

Thank you)

I was lucky enough to see this tour (not knowing at the time it would be my ONLY CHANCE EVER TO SEE FLOYD LIVE), and while I'm not a huge fan of DB, the artwork and video they used throughout the show all came from those designs. And, obviously, it was amazing.

I was lucky enough to see this tour (not knowing at the time it would be my ONLY CHANCE EVER TO SEE FLOYD LIVE), and while I'm not a huge fan of DB, the artwork and video they used throughout the show all came from those designs. And, obviously, it was amazing.

Saw both shows in Detroit (Pontiac) on that tour. Both were amazing, but the second one was super special due to my having 4th row tickets and the performance of DSotM for the first time in 19 years. Easily one of my favorite concert memories of all time!