Taylor Swift - 1989 2xLP

More and more articles and write-ups are coming out commenting on Swift's pulling her catalog from Spotify and of course they're making her come across as bitchy for doing so.

I personally think it's silly to have pulled the music. It's not like she's hurting for the miniscule royalties from the streaming. Pick your battles.

Not that you asked for it, but my opinion...I don't think as an artist I would want my music on some service that's making millions upon millions. Simultaneously I feel it's a great way to get your music out there. My wife loves Spotify and I'm sure it's great, but if I were a famous musician I would decline it. I would rather have my music bought specifically than receive .00001 cents for every play or whatever they make. Honestly it's not completely improbable that her new album would incite purchasing of her back catalogue.

Not that you asked for it, but my opinion...I don't think as an artist I would want my music on some service that's making millions upon millions. Simultaneously I feel it's a great way to get your music out there. My wife loves Spotify and I'm sure it's great, but if I were a famous musician I would decline it. I would rather have my music bought specifically than receive .00001 cents for every play or whatever they make. Honestly it's not completely improbable that her new album would incite purchasing of her back catalogue.

I don't think people realize just how much artists make off spotify streaming...Take for instance just one song off of Lordes album last year.

"Lorde / Royals / 65.3 million streams / $392,000 – $549,000" - http://business.time.com/2013/12/03/heres-how-much-money-top-musicians-are-making-on-spotify/

Now considering TS is a lot bigger than Lorde right now, I think it's a bad move pulling her music off there. More people are gonna pirate now that she did that to listen to it, her tactic is going to backfire.

I don't think people realize just how much artists make off spotify streaming...Take for instance just one song off of Lordes album last year.

"Lorde / Royals / 65.3 million streams / $392,000 – $549,000" - http://business.time.com/2013/12/03/heres-how-much-money-top-musicians-are-making-on-spotify/

Now considering TS is a lot bigger than Lorde right now, I think it's a bad move pulling her music off there. More people are gonna pirate now that she did that to listen to it, her tactic is going to backfire.

That might be an extreme example.  That was one of the biggest hits of the year, 40% of that goes to tax, so she makes maybe $240k for a massive wordwide superhit. If it's not on spotify, people are forced to actually buy the music (how absurd!).  10 mil record sales x $12 a album = one hell of a lot of money.  Why would they want to keep it on spotify when they can make actual money?  Sounds like a no-brainer for TSwifty.  That's quick and slightly flawed math but you get the point.  Just my 2C

That might be an extreme example.  That was one of the biggest hits of the year, 40% of that goes to tax, so she makes maybe $240k for a massive wordwide superhit. If it's not on spotify, people are forced to actually buy the music (how absurd!).  10 mil record sales x $12 a album = one hell of a lot of money.  Why would they want to keep it on spotify when they can make actual money?  Sounds like a no-brainer for TSwifty.  That's quick and slightly flawed math but you get the point.  Just my 2C

That flawed math isn't realistic at all. Esp considering her album is probably going to be the first (not yet though) record to go platinum this year... In November...people just aren't buying CD's anymore. LP's going up, yes, but that's a fraction of a fraction. Taking it off spotify isn't "forcing people to buy the music", it's promoting piracy, frankly speaking. I DL'ed it because I wanted to hear it first before buying an album I MAY not like, and honestly I'm probably not going to buy it. I would however, have streamed it quite a few times on spotify if it were available. But it's not, so I dl'ed it.

Fair enough.  I guess my point was - comparatively, she's giving her music away for free on spotify (a fraction of a fraction of what she COULD *and will* make).  It's honestly probably not what TS wants, but what the massive army that makes up the TS corporate brain trust wants.  While she is brilliant, she has a huge support staff that aint dumb. 

They (she) know what they're doing.  Good for her

Agreed, no doubt she knows she has the massive fan base to support her and buy her record to make more than she would on spotify. However not many smaller bands/songwriters have that luxury. That's evident, again reiterating, in only one album in the entirety of the music industry business this year possibly going platinum. Therefore artists have to resort to bandcamp and spotify to get whatever money they can from streaming as well as physical sales. I just don't like how articles all over the place say she is 'snubbing' spotify or 'winning one over', when steaming platforms such as it have helped artists tremendously over the last few years, which is why TONS of artists choose to let their music be on it.

Yes pulling it now helps her sales of 1989 NOW, that is a good move. Yet, why miss out on the money of old album streams or take away albums that people might not have the money to buy/can just stream for free and enjoy it all the same?

Yes, Fearless on vinyl is a concept discussed here a few times before. Juan has emailed Big Machine about it and they have repeatedly shrugged it off.

I've borderline harassed them about it. In a professional manner. The one and only real response I got was a "we have no plans at this time" line.

Hell. I've even had friends with labels try to pursue and make contacts but they've been met with being snubbed as well.