Jump to content
jhulud

Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion v.2.0

Recommended Posts

On 5/4/2017 at 11:10 AM, wisdom81 said:

Stuff I've been listening to that you guys can check out if you feel like it: 

 

Antethic - Ghost Shirt Society

Astralia - Solstice

These two are fantastic.  Antethic is really unique, I feel.  I like how they get very heavy in some of the climaxes without being post-metal.  Also, the new Astralia is wonderful; a big departure from Atlas.  Much, much darker.  Can't wait for my vinyl to arrive on that one. 

 

In other news, Silent Whale Becomes A Dream presumably has new material coming out on Elusive Sound at some point.  That's probably a shoe-in for album of the year contention, whenever it gets dropped.  I finally got a copy of Canopy, and it is incredible.  I hope someday "Architeuthis" gets pressed as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 0:41 PM, -tess. said:

Hey friends. It's been a bit. 

I finally saw Mono last night and thought you all would appreciate. It was an amazing show in a tiny venue with a light quiet crowd. It was perfect. 

They're playing in Austin tomorrow night and I'm trying to duck away from family stuff for a few hours to see them.

 

Edit : no family related plans tonight, so totally going to see them this evening!

Edited by jonrawks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2017 at 3:38 PM, Freki said:

I've been a pretty casual listener of theirs but gonna catch them this Friday in Denver. Delving into their back catalog and watching the youtubes has got me pretty stoked.

Sunday was the 4th time I've seen them and I think it was also the best time I've seen them.  They're rolling through here (Seattle) in the next month or two and I'm planning on seeing them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2017 at 1:41 PM, -tess. said:

Hey friends. It's been a bit. 

I finally saw Mono last night and thought you all would appreciate. It was an amazing show in a tiny venue with a light quiet crowd. It was perfect. 

I missed the NYC gig but I've been listening to them more and more and they're quickly becoming one of my favorite groups now.  I never *disliked* them but the more I listen, the more it really hits me how special they are.  Requiem For Hell was the first album of theirs that really got me, and made me really excited about their music.  If I have any money left after Dunk, I will be trying like hell to get to the West Coast for a gig.  It hurts to think that I'll miss my chance to see Requiem For Hell and Death in Rebirth. 

 

Speaking of, what albums would you say are your guys' favorite?  I was always slightly off-put by their material because of the production; on many instances drums aren't close-mic'd and are mixed so they have a hazy, dusty vibe that I'm not usually a fan of (same with Red Sparowes "Every Red Heart" album).  But man, the more I listen.... the more their music speaks powerfully to me. 

 

 

In other news - Dunk! Records is pressing a whole slew of stuff for the festival.  We Lost The Sea - Crimea, The Quietest Place On Earth, and Depature Songs.  Meniscus - Refractions and War of Currents.  Lost In Kiev - Nuit Noire repress.  Really excited for "Refractions" on vinyl, personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2017 at 0:38 PM, Gumbo72203 said:

Speaking of, what albums would you say are your guys' favorite?  I was always slightly off-put by their material because of the production; on many instances drums aren't close-mic'd and are mixed so they have a hazy, dusty vibe that I'm not usually a fan of (same with Red Sparowes "Every Red Heart" album).  But man, the more I listen.... the more their music speaks powerfully to me. 

This is actually so bizarre because historically my only complaint with Mono was their super tinny-sounding drum cymbals. Ridiculously specific, I know. But the sheer amount of time in "You Are There" that the drummer spent maintaining a beat on that cringeworthy ride cymbal made it almost unlistenable. Just weird to me that someone else picked up on it because I would never have brought it up myself haha.

 

My two favorites of theirs are "One More Step..." and "The Last Dawn." Technically-speaking "Hymn..." is probably their best but for whatever reason it's tough for me to listen through in full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, Team Avatar said:

I saw Explosions a few weeks ago for the first time.  It was cool, but the fans were the worst.  Everyone was drunk and yelling at (talking to)  each other the entire time.

Strange. I've seen them five or six times and every show has been dead quiet. Sometimes crowds just suck, I guess. 

 

Also, had no idea Mono were in town in April. Really bummed about it. Where/how do you guys keep up with bands' tours? I'm find it a lot harder to do these days, even with all the social media around. 

Edited by rabbitvinyl
adding to discussion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rabbitvinyl said:

Also, had no idea Mono were in town in April. Really bummed about it. Where/how do you guys keep up with bands' tours? I'm find it a lot harder to do these days, even with all the social media around. 

I follow a lot of bands / labels on instragram, seems to do a decent job.  Past that, I just keep a close eye on tour announcements on a few music news sites.  bandsintown used to be ok, but I haven't had much luck with being useful lately.

 

edit : venue emailing lists are real useful too

Edited by jonrawks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have some post rock stuff for sale, guys. A few hard to find gems too. Let me know if you're interested. I'll knock off a few bucks for you Post guys. 


Amenra | Mass IIII | 2xLP | White | /200 | 2012 | $30
Anceints | Star Showers On The Euphrates | LP | Bone/Purple A/B | /300 | 2014 | $25
Beware of Safety | Dogs | 2xLP | Yellow/Black | /100 | Tour Edition | 2008 | $45
Beware of Safety | It Is Curtains | LP | Red w. Black Haze | /350 | 2007 | $10
Beware of Safety | Leaves/Scars | 2xLP | White/Black | /100 | 2011 | $20
Colaris | Renewal | 2xLP| Yearning | 2012 | $30
Damascus | Heights | LP | Ultra Clear w. Black Haze | #/100 | 2014 | $30
Deadhorse | We Can Create Our Own World | LP | Clear Gold w. Black | /250 | 2011 | $30
God Is An Astronaut | LP | Clear | /500 | 2013 | $50
Horsehunter | Caged In Flesh | 2xLP | Milky Clear w. White, and Red Splatter | Screen Printed | /100 | 2015 | $20
Kokomo | Monochrome Love Noise | 2xLP | White & Pink | /500 | Pre-Order Edition | 2016 | $25
Set and Setting | A Vivid Memory | 2xLP | Purple Marble | /200 | Mailorder Edition | 2014 | $15
Shy, Low | Binary Opposition | LP | Black / Clear | /150 | 2013 | $15
Vasudeva | Life In Cycles | LP | Bone | /100 | 2014 | $35
Year Of No Light | Nord | 2xLP | Black | /700 | 2012 | $20

/
Slow Season | Mountains | LP | Clear | /75 | US | 2014 | $22
East of The Wall / Year of No Light / Rosetta | Split | 2xLP | Clear w. Brown Haze | /200 | 180g | Germany | 2010 | $40
Red Sparowes | At Soundless Dawn | 2xLP | Clear w. Silver Smoke | /500 | 2nd Pressing | US | 2005 | $30
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Have some post rock stuff for sale, guys. A few hard to find gems too. Let me know if you're interested. I'll knock off a few bucks for you Post guys. 


Amenra | Mass IIII | 2xLP | White | /200 | 2012 | $30
Anceints | Star Showers On The Euphrates | LP | Bone/Purple A/B | /300 | 2014 | $25
Beware of Safety | Dogs | 2xLP | Yellow/Black | /100 | Tour Edition | 2008 | $45
Beware of Safety | It Is Curtains | LP | Red w. Black Haze | /350 | 2007 | $10
Beware of Safety | Leaves/Scars | 2xLP | White/Black | /100 | 2011 | $20
Colaris | Renewal | 2xLP| Yearning | 2012 | $30
Damascus | Heights | LP | Ultra Clear w. Black Haze | #/100 | 2014 | $30
Deadhorse | We Can Create Our Own World | LP | Clear Gold w. Black | /250 | 2011 | $30
God Is An Astronaut | LP | Clear | /500 | 2013 | $50
Horsehunter | Caged In Flesh | 2xLP | Milky Clear w. White, and Red Splatter | Screen Printed | /100 | 2015 | $20
Kokomo | Monochrome Love Noise | 2xLP | White & Pink | /500 | Pre-Order Edition | 2016 | $25
Set and Setting | A Vivid Memory | 2xLP | Purple Marble | /200 | Mailorder Edition | 2014 | $15
Shy, Low | Binary Opposition | LP | Black / Clear | /150 | 2013 | $15
Vasudeva | Life In Cycles | LP | Bone | /100 | 2014 | $35
Year Of No Light | Nord | 2xLP | Black | /700 | 2012 | $20

/
Slow Season | Mountains | LP | Clear | /75 | US | 2014 | $22
East of The Wall / Year of No Light / Rosetta | Split | 2xLP | Clear w. Brown Haze | /200 | 180g | Germany | 2010 | $40
Red Sparowes | At Soundless Dawn | 2xLP | Clear w. Silver Smoke | /500 | 2nd Pressing | US | 2005 | $30
 

I'd take the Shy,Low depending on the total price ppd to Germany!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2017 at 9:38 AM, Gumbo72203 said:

In other news - Dunk! Records is pressing a whole slew of stuff for the festival.  We Lost The Sea - Crimea, The Quietest Place On Earth, and Depature Songs.  Meniscus - Refractions and War of Currents.  Lost In Kiev - Nuit Noire repress.  Really excited for "Refractions" on vinyl, personally. 

Yes to Meniscus! I hope A Thousand Arms gets distro of all these titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Have some post rock stuff for sale, guys. A few hard to find gems too. Let me know if you're interested. I'll knock off a few bucks for you Post guys. 


Amenra | Mass IIII | 2xLP | White | /200 | 2012 | $30

 

Matt - I plan on grabbing Mass IIII next week after payday if no one else has beaten me to it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2017 at 0:26 PM, adamha21 said:

Yes to Meniscus! I hope A Thousand Arms gets distro of all these titles.

I'm not sure, but I will ask the guys.  They only had "Refractions" because War of Currents was delayed.  They're having both shipped to Australia so even tho they're going to sell out the tour stock everything else will be available on bandcamp.  (WLTS vinyl will also be sold out soon..... you should have seen how much merch those guys sold in the 6 hours they were there - absolutely unreal). 

 

Guys, you all need to go to Dunk.  That was....  incredible.  I can't even begin to describe what it was like to be with other people who love this music the way we do.  It was like meeting all your best friends from around the world for the first time, but feeling like you've known them for years. 

 

Also, be prepared for a spectacular lineup in Burlington.  Just wait until you hear who is coming. 

 

EDIT:  Yes, A Thousand Arms will be getting Meniscus vinyl, but it will be a while.  I'm not sure about WLTS.  It's important to note that there are 2 different lines of the represses:  Dunk has their colors, and the band has their colors.  The band's can only be had on tour, but Dunk's colors will be in the shop. 

Edited by Gumbo72203

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

  I can't even begin to describe what it was like to be with other people who love this music the way we do.  It was like meeting all your best friends from around the world for the first time, but feeling like you've known them for years. 

now I'll never even consider going...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for Vinyl Collective. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×