Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

5 hours ago, Dave Grohl said:

Or you should stick to CDs, or better yet, go the hi-fi digital route. No scratches cause it isn't tangible. 

Definitely no CDs for Gumbo.

Accidentally drop a CD on a marshmallow and your favorite song is unplayable.

He might spontaneously combust.

On 2/20/2017 at 6:05 PM, wisdom81 said:

In other news, and to get back on topic:

Cool new album by Lithuanian band called Autism (I know... weird choice of name). They've also released this on vinyl.

If you don't know them, they're on the darker side of Post Rock/Metal. 

Autism - Film Noir

It's not a bad listen, not breaking any new ground, but solid. The music wasn't as 'disturbing' as they portrayed the theme, inspiration and message they said they were trying to communicate via postmetal and samples.

On 2/17/2017 at 1:43 PM, Dave Grohl said:

I've had my fair share of tape rants. Haha. 

R2R -- here's where the audiophiles are going...

I'm feeling the pull, Matt! Got my eyes on a TEAC and a strategy to break in and "borrow" the DSM Master for an evening of aural nirvana ;)

I doubt that Caspian will re-record Tertia, ever, but if they do and record it to tape like the '70's, I'd plunge.

1 hour ago, drds89 said:

R2R -- here's where the audiophiles are going...

I'm feeling the pull, Matt! Got my eyes on a TEAC and a strategy to break in and "borrow" the DSM Master for an evening of aural nirvana ;)

I doubt that Caspian will re-record Tertia, ever, but if they do and record it to tape like the '70's, I'd plunge.

Recording albums to reel is badass. Completely different from cassette tapes. I mean just look at Sound City. ;)

I can't even imagine reels becoming a common format like records. That would be so odd. Haha. And probably pretty expensive. But they are pretty badass. 

On 2/21/2017 at 10:07 PM, Dave Grohl said:

Recording albums to reel is badass. Completely different from cassette tapes. I mean just look at Sound City. ;)

I can't even imagine reels becoming a common format like records. That would be so odd. Haha. And probably pretty expensive. But they are pretty badass. 

Sound City ftw!

7 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

new Archivist!  If you like Show Me a Dinosaur, Deafheaven, Ghost Bath, etc, these guys are worth a look.  New one has some.... changes.  Clean vocals!

Track 3 is my big favorite so far.  REALLY good song.  https://archivistmusic.bandcamp.com/album/construct

Or if you like Fall of Efrafa ... where this band came from...

2 hours ago, abovetheearth said:

Just came here to post this.

Listening now.  2nd Watered song is a lot better than the first.  I might pull the trigger on this.  They're also selling Mumrunner's EP from last year I've really been digging (shoegaze punk...not post-rock).  Overseas shipping isn't bad at all.  It's only about $7 to ship both records to me.

EDIT:  Ughhh never mind.  Those Terraformer songs are crap.  They really know how to make the same song about 20 different times.  I dunno where Creatures came from but everything outside of that album is pretty dull from them.

Edited by mrewest

Terraformer is an interesting band for me... they've got so many of the right elements, and some of the stuff is great, but i feel like they lack a distinct direction in their songs. 

Also.....  you guys were totally right about my initial explosive reactions to a lot of bands.  I've been listening to Joy Wants Eternity lately, and the songs just don't wow me like they did at first.  There's no real climaxes in their stuff.  It's all fine and good and enjoyable for sure but....  I don't know, it's like there is a missing destination segment. 

On another note, I got a copy of "Mon" by Appalaches in the mail yesterday and MAN does this album sound good in my car! 

3 hours ago, Gumbo72203 said:

Also.....  you guys were totally right about my initial explosive reactions to a lot of bands.  I've been listening to Joy Wants Eternity lately, and the songs just don't wow me like they did at first.  There's no real climaxes in their stuff.  It's all fine and good and enjoyable for sure but....  I don't know, it's like there is a missing destination segment. 

You guys.  I think our lil' Gumby is growing up right in front of us.

wSvUsEf.gif

5 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

You guys.  I think our lil' Gumby is growing up right in front of us.

wSvUsEf.gif

haha.  It's just something you only get with time and exposure I guess.  There were a couple of other instances I meant to post about with this, but I finally snagged a clear/white haze with CD variant of The Fog Is Rising and while it's enjoyable and was one of the first post-rock records I remember really liking back in the day a few years ago, I listen to it now and the songs just kind of meander.  There's no destinations.  No big payoff moment.  OH!  It was Astralia!  I still really like them, but it's more that their songs kind of blend together for me.  Some of them are REALLY fucking good.  Others just kind of meander, again.  Stoked for the new album, though. 

Also, holy shit does the CD sound like ass compared to the vinyl for The Fog Is Rising.  I was NOT prepared for that lol. 

I hear you.  A lot of post-rock is perfectly "fine" – way preferable to billboard top 40 music.  But after listening to the genre for so long and trying out so many bands, I guess you sort of establish what's fresh and what's tried-and-true.  It all boils down to personal preference but it's definitely a thing that shapes over time if you keep at it; the same is probably true for every genre, really.

15 minutes ago, Derek™ said:

I hear you.  A lot of post-rock is perfectly "fine" – way preferable to billboard top 40 music.  But after listening to the genre for so long and trying out so many bands, I guess you sort of establish what's fresh and what's tried-and-true.  It all boils down to personal preference but it's definitely a thing that shapes over time if you keep at it; the same is probably true for every genre, really.

Same thing happened with death metal to me.  So much of it sounds exactly the same to me, and is so not-exciting because of that.  I guess the same thing is starting to happen with Post-Rock.  Like Glories...  that's something I would have flipped out over and loved a year ago, simply because of the sound they have...  but now, I guess I'm more conditioned to the nuances of the songwriting and whether there's any explosive pay-off or destination event within the songs.  Still good stuff, but it's weird because with them, I find myself imagining singing over their songs haha, almost Gates or Immanu El-like in a way.  Definitely a unique experience. 

10 hours ago, mrewest said:

EDIT:  Ughhh never mind.  Those Terraformer songs are crap.  They really know how to make the same song about 20 different times.  I dunno where Creatures came from but everything outside of that album is pretty dull from them.

Their songs are definitely not good here. 

On 2/24/2017 at 1:32 PM, mrewest said:

They're also selling Mumrunner's EP from last year I've really been digging (shoegaze punk...not post-rock).  Overseas shipping isn't bad at all.  It's only about $7 to ship both records to me.

I met a kindred listener on discogs (who told me about Mumrunner), and we've been doing some trades for a while.

He is really into this shoegaze punk band "Airs" - easy to find on bandcamp, let me link you up.  They're not quite enough for me to plunge for vinyl. My taste in vocals is all over the place. Not to derail too much, but The Bilinda Butchers music is great, but the guy's vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me (sacrilege on the shoegaze thread so I post it here haha)....yet, I like Jonsi, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Geddy Lee and in the shoegaze realm, Alison's Halo and February femme vocals sound almost infantile, but I'm smitten. I guess that's the appeal of instrumental postrock.?  Had to bring it back on topic :)

Also I think I mentioned Astronoid before here, vocals might to be to squeaky clean, but the music is really positive energy.

Airs - Adore (track 2 get the punky vocals going)

Airs - Apart

Edited by drds89
linkage

4 hours ago, drds89 said:

I met a kindred listener on discogs (who told me about Mumrunner), and we've been doing some trades for a while.

He is really into this shoegaze punk band "Airs" - easy to find on bandcamp, let me link you up.  They're not quite enough for me to plunge for vinyl. My taste in vocals is all over the place. Not to derail too much, but The Bilinda Butchers music is great, but the guy's vocals are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me (sacrilege on the shoegaze thread so I post it here haha)....yet, I like Jonsi, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Geddy Lee and in the shoegaze realm, Alison's Halo and February femme vocals sound almost infantile, but I'm smitten. I guess that's the appeal of instrumental postrock.?  Had to bring it back on topic :)

Also I think I mentioned Astronoid before here, vocals might to be to squeaky clean, but the music is really positive energy.

Airs - Adore (track 2 get the punky vocals going)

Airs - Apart

Airs used to be more Black Metal.

• jhulud locked this topic