shit people say that you can't stand

IF I go into any store around town they don't have signs that say make offer, they have price tags.  Makes it so much simpler.  I either like the price or don't and move on.  If someone has "make offer" I usually dont even waste my time....

Many other cultures don't work this way.  Lots of people outside America like the barter system because it lets them know what value you place on their goods.  In many places if they tell you a price and you don't counter-offer, they will be offended.  It's considered rude in many cultures to accept the advertised price without bartering.

Also because of the collectable nature of vinyl is a totally different ballgame from buying stuff you just get at any random store.

My feelings are somewhere in between the two arguments, obviously leaning toward not liking it. In my view, what's the point of entertaining offers when you really aren't going to accept anything that isn't near the price you've created in your head, I'm assuming, unless it's above? If I have a $100 record and ask for offers, I'm looking for $100+. But is it really fair to be looking and hoping for that +? If you have a record--regardless of if I know a general going-for value or not--I'm way too afraid to offend and look like a jerk by lowballing, and why would I want to waste my own money and go over? I feel like value is value, give or take a few bucks.

That's cool. That makes sense. I guess I'm just not in that mindset. First come, first serve. That's fair to me.

Well obv it's a dick move to pull the plug on a negotiation over like $5, but if you check your inbox and have multiple offers on the same record, I think it makes sense to go with the juiciest.  Although for me, better feedback, and just general politeness overrides a better offer.  I once sold a VC user a TMV - Frances the Mute 3xLP for like $25 just because it had been played a few times and had a minor spine ding.  I paid like $40 for it in store.  That's the price I set, if I'd asked for offers I would've gotten much more.  But I don't think the offer system is an inherently bad thing.  I think there's just good and bad negotiation. Set prices are good because it circumvents part of the negotiation process.  But sometimes it's not so bad to actually interact a little with other people. :)

Many other cultures don't work this way.  Lots of people outside America like the barter system because it lets them know what value you place on their goods.  In many places if they tell you a price and you don't counter-offer, they will be offended.  It's considered rude in many cultures to accept the advertised price without bartering.

I lived in a culture that, today, uses the barter system, and it was extremely stressful for me to be honest. 

Someone on here asked for offers for a record I really wanted once. When I made one I felt was reasonable, he was a total dick about it, saying it was a joke and he was just going to ebay it.

Well, it ended maybe a dollar more than I had offered. And in what wasn't my classiest move to date, I pointed it out in the thread. He then spent the next few months smiting me relentlessly.

Good times on VC. If you ask for offers, don't be THAT GUY.

Someone on here asked for offers for a record I really wanted once. When I made one I felt was reasonable, he was a total dick about it, saying it was a joke and he was just going to ebay it.

Well, it ended maybe a dollar more than I had offered. And in what wasn't my classiest move to date, I pointed it out in the thread. He then spent the next few months smiting me relentlessly.

Good times on VC. If you ask for offers, don't be THAT GUY.

Dying to know who it was, but I understand if you don't want to disclose that info or spark that flame back up again.

My friend and I had a drunk conversation similar to this regarding his name - Kyle.

Do you think Kyle is pronounced as two syllables, or one? We were unsure and I don't remember what conclusion we came up with.

Kyle - two syllables

Karl - one syllable

On the subject of names, I hate when people call me Tarm and not   Tom. Unless you're a cute Irish girl.

A girl I work with says "cheese and rice" where most people would use "Jesus Christ" as an expletive. I don't know what it is about it, but it really gets under my skin.

I do this on occasion. If you've ever seen Wedding Crashers edited for tv, they make the most ridiculous edits for cursing. One of which is 'cheese and rice' instead of 'jesus christ'.