Do You Buy Doubles of Records?

I do with The Mars Volta and Omar Rodriguez. If there's say 5 different colors of the same record, I will buy one of each to have a complete collection since they're my favorite band. There's a small record label cakled Grimtale Records that I try to get all the variants of the releases. But that's about it.

I usually end up buying the cooler looking color. Or if I had a black copy, and eventually got my hands on the more limited color version or whatnot, I get rid of my black copy and only keep one

I collect vinyl to listen to, not to preserve as a relic.

I also collect vinyl to listen to. But unlike digital, it is susceptible to damage, scratches, skips, etc. And if my favorite record from a small local band skips and I can't find another copy anywhere, I will be very disappointed. I collect vinyl because it's a way to have a physical copy of the music that I love and it's presented in a way that forces you to appreciate every aspect of the album; the lyrics, the music, the artwork, everything. I aim to take care of my collection but in the off chance that something does happen to it, I would like to have one of these "relics" you speak of in my collected, unopened and ready to spin. 

No, because of math. Say you have doubles of 5 albums and 1 gets messed up. That means you spent around $100 on a single replacement. And if 1/5 of your records become unplayable you're either insanely reckless or there was some sort of disaster that probably ruined your backup copies too. Chances are, all your copies will be as good as new when your kids are moving you into a nursing home and trying to figure out what to do with your stuff because they both live in different states and man those things are heavy and man they take up a lot of space, which means you spent 40-50 bucks per record instead of 20-25. And now they're in a box in a hot storage space, or a relative's garage, or a thrift store.

I have two records of which I have multiples of. Those records are Dads' "Pretty Good" on 7" vinyl and 10' vinyl, which I think are different enough to where it's okay to have two copies. The 10" copy has two acoustic tracks as well. Then the other record is Silverstein's Addendum. Both are on 7" vinyl, but one is a tour press.

In any other case, I think collecting variants is dumb and I would never do it.

I'm jumping onto the "nope" boat. I did happen to have doubles of one or two albums, but those were the results of me getting a defective copy from the label and whatnot and I'm back down to one of everything. I wouldn't do doubles intentionally.

If you count buying more than one copy of things to sell/send to people, though, then yeah, I do that every RSD. But I only buy one copy per visit and make sure to space my visits out over a few days to give anyone who goes into the store an equal opportunity to pick them up before I do. (And, just in case someone reads that and goes "what a shithead", I don't gouge people on prices either. Haha)

No....I don't get the point of this. With the logic of 'in case one gets screwed up', your lives must be whacky. Well I bought 2 new cars in case I crash one, I bought two new tvs in case one falls and breaks, I bought two new dogs in case one gets smacked by a car, etc. This hobby is already expensive as it is these days, I'm not going to drop double the amount on something because shit may, and will, inevitably happen. Sounds like a very expensive, scared way of living life being constantly worried about what happens next and worrying that you haven't planned enough for it. I also find it shitty when this prevents others from enjoying a release. It seems a little selfish and OCD, but thats my opinion.