The STAR WARS Thread

slinch

Maybe I'm a dummy, but what is the difference between the theatrical versions and the despecialized?  I known a lot of small things were changed a long the way.

Lucas added a bunch of CGI bullshit that adds nothing to the film as well as bunch of other horseshit including vader saying "NOOOO" at the end of return of the Jedi. 

Lucas added a bunch of CGI bullshit that adds nothing to the film as well as bunch of other horseshit including vader saying "NOOOO" at the end of return of the Jedi. 

That's what I call the "Special Editions" (At least that's what they were called when they were re-released in theaters).  I was thinking the despecialized had all that taken back out which would be the same as the theatrical version.  

I recently lent all Star Wars movies from my local library (except Phantom Menace which wasn't available), so I'll give the Machete order a try. It makes a lot of sense and as someone who grew up with the prequels and always thought Anakin was the central character, it'll be interesting how different this experience is going to be for me.

That's what I call the "Special Editions" (At least that's what they were called when they were re-released in theaters).  I was thinking the despecialized had all that taken back out which would be the same as the theatrical version.  

The guy who did despecialized took a lot of different sources to remaster the theatrical cut. The ones on the DVDs have a harsh magenta tone throughout the movies that looks terrible, and some really grainy looking shots.

They took the Special Edition blu-rays and recut them/used other sources to cover up a lot of the SE additions, did a lot of color correction, and generally cleaned them up.

The guy who did despecialized took a lot of different sources to remaster the theatrical cut. The ones on the DVDs have a harsh magenta tone throughout the movies that looks terrible, and some really grainy looking shots.

They took the Special Edition blu-rays and recut them/used other sources to cover up a lot of the SE additions, did a lot of color correction, and generally cleaned them up.

Thanks for the info.  I'll have to check them out.

I'm not saying the prequels are great (or good) but if you can take the time to read all of it, this blew my mind at how expansive Ep I-VI really are: http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

There's so much I didn't know

(I sound kinda crazy, but seriously, read it!)

Seriously. I'm gonna try machete order too. That ring theory thing is nutsssssss. Was it you that posted it last time?

twas me. finally finished reading a while back, way overwhelming. can't imagine all the thought that Lucas put into it..

Maybe that's why we got a scene like this...

https://youtu.be/ICSNhMSaVgk

Got two tickets for the wife and I, more than excited!

Do you all consider Shadows of the Empire cannon, or not?

I say everything is still canon. Shadows, KOTOR, Force Unleashed, Republic Commando, etc. Disney's just throwing out empty words.

Also, I'll bring it up again since we're on fan edit versions of the film. Revisited is the one I like, I'd recommend it. Here's a complete visual comparison of what he did for Episode IV (if you have time and want to look). V is in the works and pretty close to being finished if I understand correctly.

I like to consider it canon, but I know a lot of people won't. I'll consider just about any of the extended universe canon as long as it doesn't contradict something else.

I feel like SotE is such a unique circumstance. It was a movie without a movie. A book, video game, a soundtrack! And Dash's ship was in Episode IV I believe.

Are there any books that you all suggest as being a definitive part of the universe?

I feel like SotE is such a unique circumstance. It was a movie without a movie. A book, video game, a soundtrack! And Dash's ship was in Episode IV I believe.

Are there any books that you all suggest as being a definitive part of the universe?

Imo Maze of deception (some of the other BF books) and some of the clone wars books (names escape me right now). I'd wager the KOTOR stuff is canon too. 

I remember really enjoying Timothy Zahn's stuff and Kevin J Anderson's stuff that wasn't part of the Young Jedi Knight run he did with his wife. Michael Stackpole's stuff was fun, and a lot of the Rogue Squadron books were neat because they focused on Wedge Antilles, and his crew. Kathy Tyers and Kristine Rusch had some enjoyable books too. I haven't read most of these since middle/high school in the late 90s early 2000s, so I'm not sure how well they hold up, but I really liked them. The "Callista trilogy" (which is actually 3 separate books by 3 authors is actually really good too. I'd consider most of those books canon, but I just pick stuff I like really.

I know for a long time there were different levels of canon according to Lucas. It was something like:

Movies supercede videogames, supercede books, supercede comics. So if there was a conflict you just chose the highest in the hierarchy. I know that's not quite right, but it was something like that.

Now it's different and they've thrown that out the window and it's just the movies as canon, which is crap.

Both Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows are cannon as well, and are way more entertaining to watch than the prequels.

Ah, ok, yeah. I guess since they were put out affiliated with Disney. I watched some of Clone Wars and enjoyed it, but never finished/caught up with it. Maybe I'll have to give that another go.